Has anyone set off a metal detector?

Has anyone set off a metal detector?

This is a discussion on Has anyone set off a metal detector? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the recent mass shootings and anti-gun crowd, I figure there will probably be more metal detectors in more locations... I was just wondering ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Has anyone set off a metal detector?

With all the recent mass shootings and anti-gun crowd, I figure there will probably be more metal detectors in more locations... I was just wondering if anybody has ever accidently set off a metal detector with their CCW or if a store alarm has ever been set off by their CCW and how you handled the situation.
    I was just wondering what would be the best way to handle it. If I tell them it was a gun and I am a CHL, then I am no longer concealed. If they panic when I tell them I am armed it could cause a disturbance which also gets me in trouble... I know the best solution would probably be to ask them to call LEO and stay in public view and wait the 1+ hours for them to respond, but that seems like a lot of wasted time...any thoughts?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Assistant Administrator
    I think you meant metal - altho I am sure medals may set em off!

Thus far it hasn't happened but if I am legal where I am carrying and one lets rip - I will just remind anyone of my right to carry - and leave premises if my business is not required.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Well, I was afraid all my AAMs and ARCOMs might set something off, but so far so good. Now, if we're talking about metal detectors, then yes...

Normally, if there is a magnetometer in use, it's because you aren't allowed to have weapons in the areas beyond them. If these areas are LEGAL no gun zones (as opposed to POLICY no gun zones), then I suggest you not carry...

If it is a POLICY zone, then what I would do is approach the guard manning the mag BEFORE I get to it, identify myself as being armed, and ask them to clarify their policy and/or contact a manager. After all, if you really plan on going in, you aren't "accidentally" setting off the mag.

Now, if you happen to be walking by a metal detector and it goes off...just keep walking. If you aren't trying to get into the "protected area," then you have no reason to say/do anything to the folks running the machine. People carry all sorts of metal on them - keys, cell phones, belt buckles, and so on - so there's no reason to stop and explain what sort of metal it is that you're carrying. Of course, you have to get pretty darned close to a walk-through metal detector to set it off, even if you've got a stack of rebar on your shoulders, so my first advise would be to simply stay a few feet away from them...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

if theres a metal detector, they probably have a no gun policy thus wont let you in if u set it off.
    i cant see a place having a metal detector and not having a no gun policy.

In Texas there are very few places with 'no gun' policies...51% establishments, court houses, executions, schools, and sporting events. Every other place has to have an approved sign, 1" letters, contrasting colors, english and spanish, etc, and I have never once seen a 'legal' 30.06(Texas penal code) sign. And we also have legislation in the house to repeal even those gun free zones.

I guess the metal detector thing is a pretty remote possibility...Somebody just told me that metal detectors have a top to them, where as the security devices just have sides. I guess I was concerned I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a metal detector and a store security system. Thanks for the responses, although I still can't find in my original post where I said 'medal'.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Assistant Administrator
    Thanks for the responses, although I still can't find in my original post where I said 'medal'.
    Berney - it had been edited to correct So you won't see ''medal'' now!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I would be surprised if there were many more metal detectors installed in normal retail stores. If they did there are so many things that folks carry that would set them off that the store folks would be constantly checking customere.

How many carry a pocket knife, leatherman, large belt buckles, or tools?

Jerry

P95,
    Oops...
    Jerry,
    When I was stationed on the USS Nimitz, our metal detectors wouldn't go off on small knives, change, keys, or leathermans(I carried all of them), but everytime our MP's walked through they did go off. I'm pretty sure they can adjust the sensitivity to be selective.

Who is John Galt?

I've never seen a metal detector at a store.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The problem with metal detectors in places that has a large number of people passing through is it would take to long for people to clear. Just about everything will set one off. From keys to your watch, and just about everything else in between, so I just don’t see Wally World installing one.

For the most part, when you see one, it’s a gun free zone. Be it a government building, or secure area. If it's not one of those, just show them you CCL. Worse case, they will ask you to leave, or tell you no firearms allowed.

What use to set me off is some of the concerts halls would have medal detectors set up at the gate.

Resulting in an hour wait to get in. Then when I got to the front of the line, I showed the temp security clerk, my CCL and was told the “promoter has elected this to be a safe zone, and no firearms allowed”.

I thought to myself, this is BS, and simply walked over three lanes, moved my pistol to my jacket pocket and tried again. When I went through sure enough the big machine went off. I lifted my jacket and the temp security waved his handheld medal doctor around my mid section, and then waved me on in.

Well, there was such a back lack, they stopped that silliness. Most civic concert halls are not in the best part of town, and I for one am not going unarmed.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 16th, 2007 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Corrected "medal" to "metal"

The other day when I went to the County court house to renew m CPL, I thought I had removed all the metal from my person. When I went through the detector went off, they used the wand and discovered I had forgot to take off my Leatherman. I had to leave it at the entrance and pick it up on the way out.

set off walmart

My husband set off the anti theft device at walmart once, does that count? We entered the store and it went off, no one stopped us though.

TDPalmer
    Proud new owner of the Pro Aegis.

Don't go to places with metal detectors. Sure it feels safe on the inside. But what about all those people waiting out side with guns? They know you ain't got one.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

I go through one everyday at work carrying my 442. Sometimes it sets it off and sometimes not. Reliable???
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

retail metal detectors

I think we need to change the subject before retailers get any ideas! lol

A massive retail movement would set the stage for major commerically endorsed legislation. If you were thinking like an anti, wouldnt that be a good idea? We need to pushback every instance of metal detectors....military installations, schools, and courthouses should be enough for me and everyone else... Ill create a post on an abstract from this last statement.

And a sigh of relief for the gloom and doomers.....here in rural Virginia, I think most retailers would have a mjor issue with our sexy belt buckles! So I think well be ok for awhile... This gives IWB a whole new positon! Ill have to reference a previous post about workplace carry and a large ..... LOL im sure you know the post im talking about! In the worst case scenerio well have a jump on buying stock in companies that make magentometers... Ill leave yourself to ponder if your views on that make you an ethical hypocritt!
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links