Right Decision

This is a discussion on Right Decision within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While traveling home from the deer lease last weekend, a friend and I were pulled over by LEO.( I am Passenger) To keep from standing ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right Decision

Right Decision

While traveling home from the deer lease last weekend, a friend and I were pulled over by LEO.( I am Passenger) To keep from standing by the traffic side of the truck the LEO comes to my side of the vehicle. Texas requires that you identify yourself as CHL holder when pulled over. He probably would not have asked for my DL but since he was on my side and i was doing the talking I felt i should make him aware./ So I had my DL and CHL out when he got to the window and I gave it to him. He had no problem, his exact words were "don't show me yours and I wont have to show you mine".

Was that the right call or should I have just sat there and said nothing?
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

2. Remove Ads

Sounds good to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

JD
    Administrator
    John and Ponch would be proud.

I think you made the right call, they always get to the passenger eventually.

In Ohio we are also required to tell upon contact with LEO, but I would rather tell then have him somehow see it later in the stop, and draw down on me!!

So... I my book.... Good Call!
    I wear a seatbelt, but I hope to never need it, I use smoke detectors in my house, but I hope to never need them, I carry life insurance, but I hope to never need it, I carry a weapon, but I hope to never need it.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Texas requires that you identify yourself as CHL holder when pulled over.
    I do not think there is much of a question... If you would have been in a state that doesn't have a duty to inform, then you may have had a decision to make.

In most states with a duty to inform, it doesn't matter if you are a passenger in the back of a mini van... You still have to tell the LEO, since you are in the vehicle.

While traveling home from the deer lease last weekend, a friend and I were pulled over by LEO.( I am Passenger) To keep from standing by the traffic side of the truck the LEO comes to my side of the vehicle. Texas requires that you identify yourself as CHL holder when pulled over. He probably would not have asked for my DL but since he was on my side and i was doing the talking I felt i should make him aware./ So I had my DL and CHL out when he got to the window and I gave it to him. He had no problem, his exact words were "don't show me yours and I wont have to show you mine".

You might have been risking problems with your CHL license if you had not produced it when he came to your window. The only thing that I can think of that you might have done differently is to have produced the driver's license for the driver and your driver's license and your permit at the same time. But who knows for certain. Anyway it came out okay.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I think it is the right call...it was official business and he was talking to you...usually LEO are cool about it, and has saved a few from getting a ticket...
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

He had no problem, his exact words were "don't show me yours and I wont have to show you mine".

Bad time to offer up the good ole', "You can touch mine if I can touch your's?"

Although in Arkansas, we are only required to show the carry license when asked for the driver's license. All the same, if I were in your position, I'd have done the same thing. Don't take the LEO's comments as rude or anything-----I've had my fair share of comments once they view my DL and CL. Most of them have asked what I am carrying, and where it is. I did forget once to hand over the carry license to an officer. I was in a rental, and had nothing with me. He ran my DL from his car, and when he approached the window he acted a bit upset and asked why I failed to tell him I was a CCW holder. Apologies from me and a promise to never let that happen again!
    You done alright.

OP, You definitely did the right thing. I've also spoken to quite a few LEO that are very hesitant to give tickets to CHL's...they kind of figure we're on the same side, plus they know you went through the same background check their partner did. Did your friend get a ticket or a warning?
    If you weren't armed at the time, would you still have given him your CHL and DL?
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I thought it was a clever reply by the LEO................

wyo-man

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    OP, You definitely did the right thing. I've also spoken to quite a few LEO that are very hesitant to give tickets to CHL's...they kind of figure we're on the same side, plus they know you went through the same background check their partner did. Did your friend get a ticket or a warning?
    If you weren't armed at the time, would you still have given him your CHL and DL?
    He didn't give us a ticket...he was moe interested in the Polaris Ranger on the trailer....he told us as much. Evidently they are a hot item around there. I probably would not have gave him my chl had i not been carrying......
    "Here Newt, It's better to have that and not need it, than to need it and not have it." Woodrow F. Call

VIP Member
    Yup, ya done good!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Don't worry, he was probably just kidding around with you; you were abiding by the letter of the law, however by having your licenses out for him as he approached your vehicle.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Ya dun good. If in doubt. show it - the license, that is!
    www.dentoncountysports.com
    A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links