Gunfree zones be required to have armed security?

This is a discussion on Gunfree zones be required to have armed security? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What if retailer/establishment (etc) that ban carry were required by law to have armed (and trained) secuirty. Ill point out my Pros and Cons, feel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunfree zones be required to have armed security?

What if retailer/establishment (etc) that ban carry were required by law to have armed (and trained) secuirty.

Ill point out my Pros and Cons, feel free to add your own.

Pros:
    The cost of armed security would force smaller companies to allow concealed carry or go out of business.
    Gun free zones would be safer..at least away from the entrances.
    Anti's would have their own little place to shop and feel secure.
    Terrorists would not be able to prey on shoppers in the food court.

Cons:
    The cost of security would force smaller companies to conglomerate into malls or raise prices to cover the cost of security.
    Malls and large retailers would be more like airports with metal detectors and long waiting lines.
    Anti's would be divided among pro gun individuals creating ideology that could be devastating to the politics of the gun community.
    Establishments would be at liability when an incident occurs, or at least taken to court to defend their stance.
    Knives would get the political anti-support as more and more were forced to disarm completely.
    Those without properly trained security would kill people reaching for their cell phones.
    Political leaders would get the idea that the security should extend into your home, workplace and parking lot!!!
    We wouldn’t have any where to buy nachos!

I've always thought it was a good idea to occasionally think like an anti to come up with the ideas and responses for mitigation of our precious right. I didn’t think the above idea would be a good idea, I just wanted you to see how an anti would embrace the Pros and totally be oblivious to the cons.

Heres a good article on the cons of retail security: http://www.startribune.com/nation/12262896.html very interesting concepts with the comparisons to Israel.

I hope this post doesn’t qualify for posting in a different section.
    "What if? If not, who needs seatbelts, life rafts, and fire extingishers. Sure theres other ways, if thats what you want... I know ill be alive, dry, and not on fire!"

G17, G19, G36, PPK/S
    Support the right - www.vcdl.org

I've seen armed armoured car guards that are a joke. Three of them on the vehicle, the driver has his door opened smoking a cigerette, one is outside with a handtruck, and the third standing outside the vehicle helping him pile bags on the truck. I've walked right up to them without so much as a look. I know, this is Michigan's U.P. Where are you going to hire armed security for the malls and stores from? It's a thought, but I sure wouldn't want to trust my life to them. Nobody is going to pay enough money to get good trained people.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

So Supertac45, what your sayin is da next time I'm up dare in da U.P and I want to rob one of dem armored trucks, I can sneak up on em pretty easy? I was thinkin I could throw a pasty on one side of da truck and get da gaurds to go over dare. Then I grab da loot!! Just a little yooper humor from a "down drain" neighbor. Will be crossin "Big Mac" next month. Do me a favor and trim down that deer herd a little before I get up there. Front ends are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Nobody is going to pay enough money to get good trained people.
    Aint that the sad truth.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. -H.L. Mencken
    De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites.
    ( Do not wish ill for your enemy,plan it)

كـافر

VIP Member
    I don't rely on the Police to protect my life, I sure wouldn't rely on a rent-a-cop!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

They don't hardly pay real LEO's enough money nor can they seem to find enough of them either.

"What if retailer/establishment (etc) that ban carry were required by law to have armed (and trained) secuirty (sic).

If it caused them to change their policy, it may have merit.

Assistant Administrator
    What so many establishments - businesses in general - seem to forget is that no one but no one can be safe, as a guaranteed state - anywhere. No amount of ''call the cops'' or even lowly paid ''security'' personel can or will be able to properly safeguard folks anywhere.

As we all know the only solution is personal protection means ....... an on body ability to have an ''equalizer'' if things get bad .... it's all down to time - the time needed to respond - NOW - and save a butt - whether one's own or that of a loved one.

No amount of protestations about ''calling for assistance'' holds water ..... it cannot ever. "They" need to accept that like it or not - there are nutjobs in society - and also ruthless criminals ...... and no amount of gun ''control'' will see them disarmed.

Now IF armed security folks were around, well trained and in numbers sufficient to at least provide some degree of security - just perhaps the average shopper or worker could relax a bit but - the level of skill and training needed to secure really good security folks would make it untenable for most part.

It still all comes down IMO to the individual - taken responsibility for themselves ...... and however dogmatic that sounds, I stick by it!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I've seen armed armoured car guards that are a joke. Three of them on the vehicle, the driver has his door opened smoking a cigerette, one is outside with a handtruck, and the third standing outside the vehicle helping him pile bags on the truck. I've walked right up to them without so much as a look. I know, this is Michigan's U.P. Where are you going to hire armed security for the malls and stores from? It's a thought, but I sure wouldn't want to trust my life to them. Nobody is going to pay enough money to get good trained people.
    And from what I have seen of that, most of them look like it's a part-time job to supplement retirement. (no intent on offending anyone, but it's true). There is a catch to everything---------would something like this raise the price of goods? Would it drive out some retailers leasing mall space because of paying their fair share for security measures? While good intentions and safety are the major concern-----how to the associated costs and issues impact the price we ultimately pay? Granted--you cannot put a price on life, but all of us would be paying for 'extra measures' in the long run. Is it right? Of course not, and it seems that criminals are costing us way too much these days---to keep them incarcerated, to rehabilitate them, to put them where they belong! Why is it the best answers elude us?

.. or just ban gun free zones

Now you're talking! How's come I didn't think of that? Dude! You're a genius!

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by stlwrkr View Post
    So Supertac45, what your sayin is da next time I'm up dare in da U.P and I want to rob one of dem armored trucks, I can sneak up on em pretty easy? I was thinkin I could throw a pasty on one side of da truck and get da gaurds to go over dare. Then I grab da loot!! Just a little yooper humor from a "down drain" neighbor. Will be crossin "Big Mac" next month. Do me a favor and trim down that deer herd a little before I get up there. Front ends are expensive.
    Take an English class, you sound very uneducated.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    .. or just ban gun free zones
    Gun free zones should not be banded. In my humble opinion. A property owner has the right to dictate what behavior is acceptable on his/her property. If you donít like it then donít patronize that establishment.

Side note: Depending on armed security is a bad idea. We should never rely on someone else for our own well being. Thatís just lazy.

Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Take an English class, you sound very uneducated.
    Gun free zones should not be banded. In my humble opinion. A property owner has the right to dictate what behavior is acceptable on his/her property. If you don’t like it then don’t patronize that establishment.
    By the way AMH---did you mean 'banned'? Go ahead and edit when you feel the time is right. But banded? Sounds like we'll all be wearing some kind of identification before too long if you had your way. I don't much care for the implications of that scenario! Any time you want to pick on spelling, just come see me first okay?

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    By the way AMH---did you mean 'banned'? Go ahead and edit when you feel the time is right. But banded? Sounds like we'll all be wearing some kind of identification before too long if you had your way. I don't much care for the implications of that scenario!
    LOL, thanks buddy!
    I wonít edit my typo. I make mistakes and am not to prideful to admit it!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

No need for the added expense of the 'english' class then I see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links