ABCNews 'Person of The Week' - Jodi Longmeyer (!) not Jeanne Assam (?)

This is a discussion on ABCNews 'Person of The Week' - Jodi Longmeyer (!) not Jeanne Assam (?) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this and have been like what the hell? Why?!! Go to the page linked below and then click on the video in the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ABCNews 'Person of The Week' - Jodi Longmeyer (!) not Jeanne Assam (?)

ABCNews 'Person of The Week' - Jodi Longmeyer (!) not Jeanne Assam (?)

I saw this and have been like what the hell? Why?!!

Go to the page linked below and then click on the video in the upper right corner.
    Note the statement by the ABCNews guy is; "Our person of the week. Someone who personifies grace under pressure..."

ABCNews selected Jodi Longmeyer as their ABCNews person of the week.
    She did nothing to help or save anyone.
    She dialed 911 like many others at the Omaha mall shooting did and reported the dead victims and the dead shooter.

Woman's Calm During Shooting Rampage Aided Police
    Employee Gave Police a Real-Time Account of the Mall Massacre

Hiding in a secure place, Jodi Longmeyer stayed on the phone and told police what she saw on surveillance video. (Omaha Police Department)

Jodi Longmeyer, the human resources manager for the Von Maur department store, was on the third floor when she heard the first gunshots.

"I was over in customer service when some of the gunfire went off, and there was an individual who was crying for help," she recalled. "After a few moments of silence and still hearing the individual cry for help, my first instinct was to get to a phone and try to get help to that individual."

A man in dark clothing had just stepped off the elevator. He was brandishing a weapon and began to shower the area with bullets.

A 911 tape documents Longmeyer's call, which informed police of the shooting in the mall:

"He came up the elevator and opened fire in the elevator area."

Longmeyer described the shooter, who would later be identified as Robert Hawkins: "As far as I can tell -- I remember quickly -- he was a white gentleman, about 5-foot, 8 inches ... had kind of a mustache. Large gun. Very large gun."

As Longmeyer began to see the injured and dead, her calm tone struggled to retain composure. The dispatcher told her to stay down so she wouldn't get hit by the shower of bullets.

At this point, some of Longmeyer's closest colleagues, including Diane Trent and Maggie Webb, had been shot. They would not survive.

Despite the unimaginable terror and chaos around her, Longmeyer stayed on the line and crawled to a safer spot while she transferred the call herself.

"My thought was to secure myself somewhere where I would be safe, but still be able to get help to the individuals who I knew were wounded."

She saw that people around her were injured, but she also realized that one of them was the gunman himself.

"Oh my gosh! It looks like the gun is lying over by customer service!" Longmeyer said in the 911 tape.

She began to cry, "It looks like he might have killed himself."

Then she saw the weapon as her crying intensified on the phone: "I see him lying there by a gun."

For 30 minutes, which seemed an eternity, Longmeyer stayed on the line to try to save lives....

The complete story can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/WN/PersonOfWee...3970626&page=1
    Meanwhile a report toward Jeanne Assam she gets no recognition by ABCNews as a 'Person of the Week'.
    This makes no sense at all as she actually saved lives for real, was under under real pressure engaging a bad guy as opposed to hiding in the security room on the phone with 9-1-1, and she 'personifies grace under pressure'.

The interview of Jeanne Assaam by ABCNews doesn't feature Charlie but is just a GMA excerpt and they ask her completely irrelevant demeaning questions about her marital status (!).

Her interview can be found in the same location at;

'Hero' Fired As Cop, Finds God
    http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3982722&page=1

No disrespect to the Longermeyer woman but in my book doing something is far better than reporting something and watching people go down dead.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

By ABC person of the week they must mean the best person giving a detailed account while trying not to be a victim. Makes good news. All those transcripts.

So if she reported the gunman was down and had killed himself, why then did it still take 30 more minutes for them to clear the building and get to the victims? I had read that they didn't know where he was and had to proceed with caution. Yet now we know they had an eyewitness on the phone the entire time who could tell em exactly where he was and that he was dead? Did anyone die in that time lag that might could have lived?

I'm just sayin...

Assistant Administrator
    I can only <sigh> - call it exasperation - whatever!

True heroes/heroines rarely get their recognition.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

That upsets me.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    They can't have a "killer" as their person of the week. Much to offensive. Might remind them of something called personal responsibility. They had ratther choose a watcher than a doer.
    Makes me sick!!
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

The news outlets are not your friend.
    I lowered my blood pressure 20 points by ignoring the major news channels...

Jeanne Assam is my hero under pressure of the year...

Distinguished Member
    It's the national news--- what'd ya expect????

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    Maybe ABC is afraid of assertive & strong women.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I wonder if any of us expected anything different from the mainstream media? Certainly not I.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Your selection of Jodi Longmeyer as "Person of the Week" was a prime example of biased drivel. You had an opportunity to spot-light the true heroine in this criminal act, Jeanne Assaam, but instead took the low road again. While Longmeyer was crying in hiding, talking on a phone, Assaam waded in and saved hundreds of lives; not as a hired security guard, but as a law abiding citizen who exercised her second amendment right.... and that is the real reason you didn't choose her. It just kills your soul to admit that firearms in the hands of lawful citizens save hundreds of thousands times more lives than they take. This type of so called news reporting is why organizations such as ABC are in the ratings dump.

just e-mailed this to GMA

The hero is the person who did NOTHING to stop a slaughter?? GAH!

Good grief.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I take nothing away from Jodi Longmeyer. She did the best she could with what she had. She did make a call for the cavalry.

Jeanne Assam on the other hand is a true American hero. She acted in a way that I hope that I would act in a similar situation. The main stream media is unable to credit an armed citizen for heroic actions. This would fly in the face of their liberal agenda. We should expect no different.

And by the way, who watches NBC, ABC, and CBS anymore?
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

After looking at both of the videos and knowing what I know about both of the stories, it is fine with me that they choose Ms. Longmeyer. Not taking anything away from Ms. Assam, she did a good job also.

But, from the time I have spent on this forum, Ms. Longmeyer did exactly what most of the people here recommend doing. Keeping oneself safe and relaying information to the authorities so that they can come and handle the situation. She didn't risk her life, limb, or future lawsuit to go out and stop the threat. How many times have we gotten that exact advise on this forum, even from the OP on this one.

Like I said I have nothing against either of these two women, they are both assets to society, and yes I applaud Ms. Assam's actions and she did save lives in that Colorado church. Even though she used that dreaded assualt weapon term in her interview, I am sure we can all forgive her for that.

However, it does rub me the wrong way a bit to start bashing a news organization for the person they pick for the person of the week, when that person did exactly what has been recommended time and time again on this very forum for what actions a responsible person should do when confronted with that situation. Ms. Longmeyer, sounds like she has taken the very advice given by the OP, step by step in what to do in this case.

I don't intend this as a personal flame, but simply to point out my confusion over the whole idea of giving advice and then not supporting that same advice when it is shown in action.

Ok, let the bashing begin.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

"For her remarkable display of heroism and courage under fire, the Second Amendment Foundation announced today that it will recognize Jeanne Assam, who confronted a gunman on Dec. 9 at the New Life Church shooting in Colorado Springs, with the Eleanor Roosevelt Award."

http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=253
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links