Duty to protect?

This is a discussion on Duty to protect? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm sorry if this is a duplicate of another thread at some point, but I have some serious questions that I feel we need to ...

View Poll Results: Do we have a duty to protect?

Voters
416. You may not vote on this poll
  • Duty to protect.

132 31.73%
  • No duty to protect.

284 68.27%
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duty to protect?

Duty to protect?

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate of another thread at some point, but I have some serious questions that I feel we need to think about. With the understanding that heroism is not the goal, the question is this:

Do we, as "stronger" citizens (by virtue of the fact that we carry) have any obligation or duty to protect the "weaker" (those that do not carry) from a gunman? Is it better to die a hero (in the defense of another), or live a coward (with the knowledge that you did nothing when perhaps you could have)?

Mel
    Last edited by agentmel; December 15th, 2007 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    For me, it all depends on the situation. If I'm with my family, I will do everything in my power to keep them out of harms way. If that means crawling out the back door, so be it. If I'm by myself, I'd like to think I would take prudent measures to stop a gunman from hurting others. But I'm not going charging in with guns blazing. I'd try to use my head, if I could.

JD
    Administrator
    Duty or obligation? NOPE

Would I act against a threat to save others? 50/50 it all depends on too many variables to list.

Senior Moderator
    That is up to each individual person to decide for themselves beforehand

Some will feel a "duty to protect" if they see a wrong situation that they might be able to right.

Others will not.

It depends entirely upon your upbringing, sense of morality and personal conviction.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

This is something I have also thought long and hard about. Here's what i have come up with for myself.
    When I was younger and my kids were young, I felt it was my duty and responsibility to protect them. My job was to make sure they stayed alive and had a dad to be around also. So, at that time, the sheep were on there own. Now, my kids are older and mostly on there own. The fact is, they don't need me now how they did then. Now don't take what I'm going to say next wrong! I'm not out looking for trouble, I'm not a mall nija, it's not my goal to go out a save the entire world from the bad guys. However, if I should ever find myself in a situation like the mall shootings, my belief is that God put me there with the skills, equipment, training, and hopefully the courage and motivation to stop evil. My hope is that in the very unlikely circumstance of being put there, I won't let him (or her) down.

I don't think of it as a duty. If we defend our own lives there are certain criteria we look for or hope to see before we act with deadly force. You question is open ended and depends largely upon far too many factors, however, if I had the opportunity to save lives, would I do so? Unquestionably - without - a - doubt.

The only "duty" I feel inclined to adhere to is the remembrance of those who did die for not my life or the lives of all of us, but for the freedoms we all enjoy. Our continued "duties" should be to not let those freedoms slip away.
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

Every encounter is different,
    use your head,
    analyze,
    make decision.

Too tough to call...

Way to many variables. If you're not family, you should seriously consider getting your own CCW rather than depending on me to come to your aid with deadly force.

My family and their future comes first. I'll try to help diffuse the situation you're in, call 911 for you, and be a good witness, but it's tough to say more even from this distance. The cop on scene in the recent Texas case (homeowner shoots burglars robbing neighbor's house) didn't leave his car until the shooting was over - he was plain-clothed and didn't want to (or maybe couldn't) get involved - and perhaps be mistaken for anything but a good guy.

You come upon a scene like that and see two guys who look like robbers carrying loot (perhaps armed) and a good 'ol boy with a shotgun who's actually a homeowner on his own property...

Hmmm... so many options. Say the wrong thing to help and suddenly everyone's aiming at you. Might be better to take good mental notes and reach for the cell phone.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Duty or obligation? NOPE

Would I act against a threat to save others? 50/50 it all depends on too many variables to list.
    Ditto...I carry to protect my family and myself as the main principle. In the course of doing this, if I was in a position to protect others (operative word is position), I would not hesitate.

It is an interesting question because of some responses concerning the CSprings church shootings. A hero worshiping for her (which she deserves) and outright condemnation for the male security guards. Hence, in some minds, I suspect that they 'dream' these scenarios (something along the lines of pilots in the back of the aircraft dream saving the aircraft after the crew gets it)...to be worshiped as a hero. It is one thing being a security guard charged with protection and another being an ordinary citizen who happens to be armed. It is clear that there are those that feel it is their duty to protect society and they use that as their justification for carrying. I disagree with this premise.

Rick

My only duty to protect is to my 17 month old daughter, my wife, and our 6 month old son inside her tummy. I'll do anything in my power to see to it that my kids don't grow up without their father. That doesn't mean I'll just stand by and watch someone get murdered, though. If I have a chance to save someone I'll take it.

It's completely situation dependent and a personal choice. None of us have the right to judge another's actions if confronted by that kind of choice. We're certainly entitled to our opinions, but to say "he/she was wrong not to try and take out that madman" is not our place. For myself, I would probably engage if I had a good shot. I certainly wouldn't seek out a shooter if he wasn't already right in front of me, that's the cops' job. If I were in the company of young children or someone too old or sick to take care of themselves, my first responsibility is protecting them. If that means shooting the bad guy, I'll do it. If that means picking up the kids and running for the hills, I'll do that too. If some Monday-morning quarterback wants to call me a coward for doing so, he's welcome to say so but wrong for doing it.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

A duty or obligation? Absolutely not!

Might it happen, I doubt it, but there is a slim chance depending upon the situation.

Stay armed...protect you and yours...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    However, if I should ever find myself in a situation like the mall shootings, my belief is that God put me there with the skills, equipment, training, and hopefully the courage and motivation to stop evil.
    Amen to that.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Agreeing with everyone else that there are too many variables to make a rational decision base on a "what if" scenario, I still see two ideas emerging here.

Obligation is to your own family.

Olde Phartes like me with no family obligations may be a bit more likely to try to help someone in need. But even for us Olde Phartes who can say for sure what we would do?

Senior Moderator
    But even for us Olde Phartes who can say for sure what we would do?
    Thats the thing....no one can really say till they get there...

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Links