manikin target guidance please...

This is a discussion on manikin target guidance please... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys! Need a little assistance from everyone please. I'm really tired of shooting at B-27 silhouette targets and was looking for something more realistic. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: manikin target guidance please...

manikin target guidance please...

Hey guys! Need a little assistance from everyone please. I'm really tired of shooting at B-27 silhouette targets and was looking for something more realistic. I was wondering if anyone knew where a guy could get a 3d manikin target? Not wanting to spend $300.00 on it as it would just be for me in the backyard. Thought if I threw a t-shirt on there that it would be good practice. Maybe I'm way off base here... for all I know this doesn't exist but I've been thinking about it. Your help is certainly appreciated!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    If you really want to do this, just make yourself a scarecrow the old fashioned way, and use PVC pipe for the "skeleton" or 2x4's.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd seriously consider making a scare-crow. No, really. (Edit: Ha, Sixto beat me to this idea.)

On the TV show Mythbusters they've made human-shape targets out of ballistic gelatin using a simple mold - I think the mold was styrofoam, in fact. You can make rough (not calibrated or ballistically accurate, but close enough for backyard use) ballistic gel out of grocery store food gelatin.

Maybe ask some department stores about their old mannequins... ? Don't mention what you want to do with them, obviously....

Just throwing thoughts out there.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

Pete...How did you know where I got the idea from? I have to watch Mythbusters at least 5 times a week.

Never even thought of the scarecrow thing. That would work wouldn't it? Wish I knew someone that worked in a department store so they could hook me up with a manikin but I guess I'll look into these other options. Thanks!

It does seem like someone out there would have a product like this though. There has to be a good market for it. I'm sure everyone on this site would like one.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    I use IPSC targets & put old t-shirts on them.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    You could always use pigs like the mythbusters.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I think the rangemaster might ask a few questions before I hung it on the target rails...

I can see a commericial opportinity here.....
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Not exactly what you are looking for, but Target Barn has been a good source of stands and targets for my scenario-based training needs.

www.targetbarn.com
    Live in the "NOW" and deal with what "Is."

Lead Moderator
    Look for military surplus 3 D targets. they are made of plastic and should be cheaper than Delta targets or similar.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I just came across this and think it will work out just fine. I'm going to order one and try it. It's called the Tac-Man Plastic Polymer Target and it's only 32.95. Can't really go wrong at that price I guess. Thanks for all your input!

http://www.letargets.com/html/3d.html
    Allen

I have made "dummys" out of old clothes (like a scarecrow) but rigged them so they would fall when they were hit in the A zone. It's been a while since I've done that, so I'll try to explain. Cut up a clothes hanger into straight pieces however long you want. Starting from the head down, the first wire is where you hang the dummy from. At the end of that wire bend it into a hook. A clay pigeon hangs from that hook so that it is positioned behind the center of the head. Make a "t" out of 3/4" pvc pipe that is as wide as the shoulders and about 10" long and place that inside the dummy so that the shoulder wide section is at the shoulders. Take another section of clothes hanger and hook an end on the "head" clay, run the wire through the vertical pvc section, and hook it on another clay that is positioned in the center chest area. When the head clay is busted, the dummy will fall. When the chest clay is busted, most of the time the dummy will fall due to the weight pulling against the head clay...other times you have to bust the head (body armor, if you will). I filled the dummy with newspaper and packed it tight to give it some weight. You could also hang an IDPA/IPSC target behind the dummy so you can see where your shots were hitting.

And yes, you do get some strange looks at the range.

I shudder at the legal ramifications of using a "life like" target if you are ever involved in a shooting.

An anti gun DA's intimate partner is going to have a wild night when that info comes out.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Dress makers Forms or mannequins could be used to make a paper-machet copy that would be close to the correct size.You could then remove the paper in two pieces, tape it back together, and fill it with expanding foam like they use to insulate seams in house construction. The foam should stand up to the bullets impact for quite a while before weakening enough that it would not support a T-shirt with COM drawn on it.

VIP Member
    Yeah a scarecrow would be great....save some$$ for more rounds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links