What do you use as a cover garment? - Page 2

What do you use as a cover garment?

This is a discussion on What do you use as a cover garment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I may have mentioned - right now in hot weather, it's a light weight denim Smith & Alexander vest over thin T-shirt. This is close ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you use as a cover garment?

Assistant Administrator
    I may have mentioned - right now in hot weather, it's a light weight denim Smith & Alexander vest over thin T-shirt. This is close to matching my denim shorts and certainly on the bike does not look outa place at all. Much as I overheat this does not make matters significantly worse.

If I am ''out and about'' with the vest I really do not think it ''shouts'' CCW tho to others who carry and LE it perhaps says ''I might be carrying, but IMO less than the classic photo vest. Much of time anyways when it is on - I have been riding and have dew rag also - and so what I wear says ''bike'' more than carry.

I keep cell phone left front pocket of that vest - and NAA mini right front - these items give just a bit of weight to help it hang well and reduce wind blow problems - the remainder of that is dealt with by judicious tucking in of right elbow against grips.

Cooler months are a cinch - just a long shirt, usually open - that's the real easy carry time - and in real cold weather - again long shirt but an insulated one.

I'll add one thing - much as certain garments get labelled ''shouts CCW'' - fanny packs too sometimes - IMO if concealment is good, no printing then any observer is still faced with ''maybe/maybe not''. I know for sure, anyone looking at me can but guess - at best!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I usually use a shirt as a cover garment. I normally CCW with an IWb or bellyband rig. I buy my shirts a little big to aid in concealment, and the bellyband allows for tucked carry if need be.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

VIP Member
    Photo Vest or 5.11 vest. Since I am in the "Protuberant" club, trying to get away with anything else is impossible and I hate light shirts because of the wind. However you will see all kinds of stuff non-gun related coming out of pockets: Keys heanging out, cell phone, notebooks, bandana, etc. Somebody sees me and I could be in the maybe/maybe not category. Besides, being in South Florida you will look weird wearing extra clothing no matter what 'cause of the heat. A vest makes more sense than a full fledged jacket or windbreaker. 99% of the times I have been asked if I was a photographer or a fisherman and only once a guy in a restaurant "made me." But then again he was wearing a sports coat at 2:00 pm in the middle of August so I made him too. We nodded to each other with a grin and kept at our business.

As for LEO's, my experience with them in Miami-Dade has been good related to CCW. Once I was getting gas for my vehicle and I went towards the store. Coming out were three MDPD officer and a gust of strong wind caught my vest and the gun was at full display. One of the officers saw it, smiled, waved and kept going with his buddies.

In hot weather, cargo shorts and a Hawaiian shirt.

I usualy wear a button down shirt. That I keep unbuttoned with a tee shirt under it.
    I can get away with just a tee, if its long enough.

Being 6' 6" and 300lbs, its hard to find clothes that compliment my size but also conceal my CCW worn OWB. I was recently in Wallyworld looking for something for my wife and ran across a rack in the mens department with Dickies plaid, short sleeve work shirts with square cut bottoms in XXL, that were actually long enough to conceal my CCW with room to spare. This is almost unheard of at Wallyworld. I bought all 3. Yesterday we were leaving for a trip to Austin and my sons came home from college. They both looked at me and stated "Dad, you are finally getting into clothes that look cool". Don't know how I should take that but anyway, my wife told them that the reason for the shirts was the concealability factor the size and pattern offers to CCW carriers. They both asked "Are you carrying". I showed them and they both just said, "we would have never known". Mission Accomplished!!!!
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

If the temp permits wearing a jacket, the denim & khaki ones from Duluth Trading Co. that KRobb recommended are great. They have many pockets. I carry a light pistol (J-frame or KelTec) in the inner part of the side (double) pocket; the doubled cloth kills the printing - just looks like a book or bunch of keys or such.

It also has a very sturdy inner chest pocket that is too close to the front opening for a normal shoulder-draw position, but is great for a reversed presentation draw.... I pull the jacket wide open with my left hand & in so doing, the gun position is reversed so I can make a firm normal grab. I use it with a Colt Compact .45 with a Universal ClipDraw to assure it retains it's position.

Whenever i put on long pants i have my G26 in Galco Ankle Glove on and no one knows.When in put on shorts i have a Blade-tech holster for my 26 that i wear in the appendix position with whatever type of shirts untucked and cover it.Note,this is a position that enables a very fast draw.Fall and winter i carry a G19 in a IWB Blade-tech holster strong side covered by a multitude of clothing options that i have come up with.

Lead Moderator
    Luckily for me the dress style now days , I can wear a untucked t -shirt or button down shirt. Also a tuckable holster works good. Other options include , a vest, light jacket, sweatshirt or ankle carry.

T-shirt covered with untucked print or Hawaiian shirt. This is it all year long in S Fla. Even Macy's is dressing their manequins that way!

Since I cannot stand wearing a shirt "un-tucked", I've used the following: 1) Levi's (yeah, I know ) loose cut jean jacket, 2) a tall-cut leather jacket, or 3) for warmer environs, the "civilized" versions of the BDU top, over a light undershirt (though I suspect Cool-max would be better still.) In KS, OK, and TX , no one is very likely to give you a second look. A college town, or either coast, would be a bit of a wardrobe change, though.

"What do you use as a cover garment?"

An inexpensive golf vest (also called a wind vest.) I had my company logo embroidered on them, got a bunch for about $18 a piece, wear them over either a polo type shirt or a dress shirt, its the best cover garment I've found. I buy them a size larger than necessary so they "blouse" over my IWB carry (mini-Cougar 8357Sig.)

They can be found in cotton, waterpfoof materials, and there are lined ones. The single layer wind vests, over a polo shirt, are generally comfortable all year, and with my logo, arouse no suspicion whatsoever.

Hot weather: IWB with a Browning HP. I have a bunch of "wife beater" tshirts a size too large that I tuck in (slacks, jeans or shorts) to protect me and the weapon, and either a large t-shirt or polo type shirt, untucked. The t-shirts don't show under neckline or sleeves, so people don't wonder why you have 2 shirts on in hot weather.

I also have some Cabela's Safari shirts I wear untucked and a regular t-shirt tucked in.

I've got a "safari" or "cargo" vest I've had for years and wore it long before I was able to get a CCW permit, especially traveling. I keep my wallet, PDA, check book, a paperback, sunglasses, Ham radio, etc in it. Take it off while driving and throw it on when stopping for gas, lunch etc. Comfortable and handy.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Well, I got something unique! My wife and I go to a thrift store and pick out button up shirts, either long or short sleeve, that we like. She cuts the sleeves out of them and sews them up. They kinda look like a vest, but again they don't.

I wear them over a tee shirt and the removed sleeves make the combo a bit cooler and the "vest" is very light, but very effective at concealing my Sig, which may become my USP.

I try to find shirts with pockets on both sides so I have extra convenient pockets to put stuff in. Works great for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links