What do you use as a cover garment?

This is a discussion on What do you use as a cover garment? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This has been less of an issue for me since I've purchased IWB holsters, but was sometimes a problem with OWB. I have a friend ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use as a cover garment?

DM [OP]

This has been less of an issue for me since I've purchased IWB holsters, but was sometimes a problem with OWB. I have a friend , a Missouri State Trooper , that told me not to get a photo vest. The reason , he explained ,is that it screams "GUN" to anyone with knowledge of such things (LE). So one day , while strolling through our local Wally-World ,I noticed these not- so -lovely MLB baseball jerseys.Much cheeper than a vest and I blend in with all of the locals and the tourists here at the lake. They hang down far enough to easily conceal my belt holster with a service-sized auto. So I was just wondering what other ideas might be out there.

Any convering garment - flannel shirt, overlarge t-shirt, light jacket, etc...
    If total government control equals safety, why are prisons so dangerous?

This may sound elitist or even snobby (which is not my intent), but I wear polo shirts because the shirts look preppie and people view me as such and also allows me to blend in more. That is what I have been wearing lately here in Vegas. In the winter I wear etiher a Navy Peacoat or a Leather MC Jacket.
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Red face Cover Garments

I have found 3 good sources for cover garments. 1: Concealed Carry Outfiters at www.ConcealedCarryOutfiters.com 2: King Size Direct at www.KingSizeDirect.com and 3 Duluth Trading Company at www.DuluthTrading.com.
    I recomend all 3 of these places without reservation due to their quality stuff, range of sizes and styles and their fast turnaround.

As for my choice of cover garments I like vest for casual fridays type dress and a lite shirt or jacket for other times.

KRobb

KRobb, I have seen a few gents wearing vests like the 5.11 variety and that just screamed "concealed carry" but I guess that is to a trained eye that has his situational awareness radar up and running.

If it works for you and you can get it out fast, then run it. What is it like to wear a vest in high humidity in the summers in Ohio?

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Depends what the locals wear... As Andy said he wears Polo.(what a snob ) No here he would stand out like a sore thumb except in Ann Arbor becuse of U of M

I typically go with tshirt flannel etc nothing that really calls attn to me

These days there are lots of options, depending on how "stealthy" you want to be. You could wear a shirt that had "Ask me about my gun" on the front and most people wouldn't give you a second glance. LEO's and CCW types, on the other hand, are a little tougher to fool. OTOH, if the good guys know, is that a bad thing?

I used to think the square-cut dress shirts made to be worn untucked were strictly for middle-age or older men, but I see a lot of young guys wearing them now. Polo shirts, camp shirts, larger T-shirts, football jerseys, etc. all work for summer. When the weather cools off, you have all kinds of options.

I'm going to try a couple of the "guayabera" style shirts to see how they work with slacks or khakis for those occasions when I think jeans aren't quite dressy enough.

Do a lot of people watching when you're out - you'll probably see some styles that might work for your build and dress requirements.

SSKC

shorts and a t shirt......
    Brad B.

DC Founder
    Tucked in tshirt with a short sleeve button up, unbuttoned. It easily conceals my IWB or OWB and would work equally as well for a shoulder holster or just about any other way you want to carry. I have several Hawaiian shirts and several others with prints of fish, cars, etc. Even with the Hawaiian shirts I tend to look for the ones that aren't real bright or wild.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

T-shirt and jeans for me.

1952 - 2006
    I usually wear a short sleeve shirt unbuttoned as a cover garmet, either that or my CampCo vest.
    In the winter, it's my leather flight jacket.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Re: What do you use as a cover garment?

Generally, I just wear a cotton or similar button down shirt with a tee shirt underneath.

For me it provides the concealment I want, but will also allow for easier drawing if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC

Main Website - www.wa-protective.com
    New Book Website - www.wttrw.com

In the summer, my cover garment is a untucked short sleeve shirt over a t-shirt. When it gets cooler, either a long sleeve shirt tucked in over the holster or, if I don't want to tuck, my leather jacket or ski jacket covers the gun.

One size large Dickies work shirt they are excellent and I also buy my T - Shirts and Polo Shirts a size larger. I carry outside of the waist.

I usually wear Polo shirts year round. In the Summer I would just wear them untucked, but you have to be very careful not to print with a full size gun. This year I bought a vest from http://www.concealedcarryoutfitters.com/prod01.htm to keep my draw stroke the same year round. In the Spring/Fall I wear a Pantagonia type vest and in Winter a leather jacket. The vest does not scream GUN and even if a COP spots me it's not a big deal. It's the price I'll pay for consistency in draw.

I've worn the vest in 95 degree weather and it's no hotter than just a polo shirt, and the way it hangs allows me to forget about printing while sitting, etc.

My friend is thinking about the consistent draw issue a little more since he found a stranger in living room and was packing with only a cover shirt. He grabbed the gun like he normally does when he sweeps his over garment, only he had a handful of shirt between his hand and gun because he forgot to lift the shirt first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links