First day of work carry (reflections and realism)

This is a discussion on First day of work carry (reflections and realism) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, just a little background. I got my CCW last week, bought a Taurus 605 last Saturday. I've shot 200 rounds through it, no problems, ...

Thread: First day of work carry (reflections and realism)

OK, just a little background. I got my CCW last week, bought a Taurus 605 last Saturday. I've shot 200 rounds through it, no problems, no sweat. I have however pushed my luck with my significant other too much (between the CCW and the gun) that buying a good quality holster is out for the time being. So I rigged myself a "make-do" in the meantime, and will keep doing so as I get better material. it's currently a pocket of canvas, stitched in the shape of the gun, with a long beltloop. This slides onto a web belt, which I wear under my pants. I have done this three days straight every waking hour, wearing it mostly SmartCarry style, and no one knows. (The other benefit of this system - and I imagine SmartCarry, though i haven't owned one - is that I like to walk around the house with no pants on, and this lets me do that) Part of the reason I went this way was because I have to tuck in my shirt for work, and the pockets are just too shallow/open for pocket carry.

I discovered this morning that my work pants are WAY too thin to work with. I could hide the gun, but anyone giving me more than a passing glance would have thought I was Ron Jeremy in disguise. So I hitched it up, to where it would almost be IWB . This disguised it well (the shirt always blouses a lot, so hiding the grip is no problem.) Problem was, due to the inelasticity of the belt, it kind of cut me in the wrong places, and the hammer dug me a little. It wasn't bad, except when I moved it wrong, and it dislodged from the indent it had made into me.

So, all in all, this method is acceptable. I'm only at work 46-48 hours a week, so it's not going to be terrible. The rest of the time the rig is comfortable as all get-out though. Still looking forward to getting a quality IWB rig, though.

I also learned that people really are that unobservant. Of course, I knew this, but it never ceases to amaze me. (I wasn't printing, per se, but I had bulges where I didn't have them before - the pants are about the worst choice for CC)

Now, about 10 minutes into my shift, I started thinking "Well, maybe I won't carry at work until I get a good rig. This is nice, but it's a little uncomfortable." (I did fix it in the bathroom shortly thereafter, and my comfort was pretty much relieved for the rest of the day.)

Not 10 minutes later (maybe 8 or so) my Supervisor came around the corner, snapped her cell phone shut, and said "The bank down the street was just robbed. Guy is armed and is on foot, thought to be heading this way."

Huh. Guess this is a little reality check into the "Always" portion of "Always carry."
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

VIP Member
    WHEW! Now that's what I call confirmation!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Wow. Wish I could carry at work - the risk to our family of starvation if I lose my job seems greater than my risks by not carrying (quiet town, controlled access building, my own office, close to fire exit, etc.), but I still don't like it.

For another DIY attempt along the lines you're thinking, you might see what I built, at http://www.netdataconsultants.com/holster/.

Congrats on the new permit and firearm! Good for you for taking the steps to protect family.

Congrats on the permit and the ingenuity.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Congrats on your custom holster! I love my 605, I'm sure you will grow to love yours too!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    WHEW! Now that's what I call confirmation!
    Yeah, when I told my fiancee, she said "If that's not a sign,I don't know what is."
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Wow. Wish I could carry at work - the risk to our family of starvation if I lose my job seems greater than my risks by not carrying (quiet town, controlled access building, my own office, close to fire exit, etc.), but I still don't like it.

For another DIY attempt along the lines you're thinking, you might see what I built, at http://www.netdataconsultants.com/holster/.

Congrats on the new permit and firearm! Good for you for taking the steps to protect family.
    I haven't talked about it at work. Our company doesn't have any weapons policy, and I plan to keep it that way. I've been with the company for a while, so if I get made, I'll probably just get a slap on the wrist (and I'll beat myself up mentally for letting it happen.)

I also have to thank you for the inspiration. I had seen your design before, and that's what inspired me to make my holster. I couldn't remember whose it was, though, so I was kind of hoping you would show up here so I could credit you.

Congrats, however I can't read this without LMAO. Very funny, hope you get a proper rig soon.

Administrator
    What I would do (were I you) is search Ebay for some holsters.
    There are many generic type ballistic Nylon universal holsters selling on Ebay for just a few dollars. That should increase your comfort level greatly for now and hold you over until you can get the exact rig that you want.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Do yourself a favor and go buy a $25 Fobus holster for that gun. It isn't the best out there but it is a good bit better than what you have right now.

Congrats on the permit too!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Trust me, buying/making a better holster is on the list. Biggest problem is, for work carry, I need something tuckable, with little/no giveaway. In the end I want something like a C-Tac with V-clips. I have some Kydex on the way, however, so I'm thinking I'll pick up some leather and make something like "The Answer" until I can afford to plop down some money on a quality holster.

BlackBear

You have a PM

My work supposedly has a "No Gun" policy, but I have yet to receive an employee handbook, or told specifically by management. Not that it would make any difference.

If there is a choice between my employment and my personal safety...guess what, I was looking for a job when I found this one.

Don't ask, don't tell, keep it CONSEALED, and no one will be the wiser.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Sponsored Links