If your state doesn't have reciprocity w/ WY, but they don't require a CCW, what then

If your state doesn't have reciprocity w/ WY, but they don't require a CCW, what then

This is a discussion on If your state doesn't have reciprocity w/ WY, but they don't require a CCW, what then within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After I head south for Christmas we have to make a quick trip to MT for a funeral. The problem is No ND doesn't have ...

Thread: If your state doesn't have reciprocity w/ WY, but they don't require a CCW, what then

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

After I head south for Christmas we have to make a quick trip to MT for a funeral. The problem is No ND doesn't have reciprocity with WY because the don't have a permit requirement. We're only going to be in WY for a couple hundred miles but I don't want to break the law. How does this work for the Wyoming? Am I going to have to disarm throughout the state?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

JD
    Administrator
    In short, to play it totally safe, yes you will have to disarm in WY.

I'm not entirely sure what WY's laws are like, but as a general rule of thumb, if you don't have a valid permit that the state you're traveling in honors, you stop, unload, and lock the gun in a case keeping the ammunition separate.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Thanks. It really stinks it's only for 20 miles
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member
    Drive FAST-------or no wait a minute, that'l get you stopped and cause more stess.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

VIP Member
    I'd go to the WY State Police/Highway Patrol website and and see what they say about requirements while traveling through the state. You may be fine as long as you are not stopping. If that doesn't help I'd call them directly and ask what the requirements are.

Get a non-res CHL from a state that does have reciprocity. PA non-res takes about two weeks and less than $30 and is recognized by WY.

According to my interpretation of the info at Hangunlaw.us, it appears that you cannot carry it concealed on your person while you're in WY. But you can carry it loaded in your vehicle (under seat, in glove box, etc). Verify before you try - I'm just some geek on the internet.

I'm sure this is true for Colorado; I wouldn't expect WY to be too much different.

In my opinion your best bet is to:

1. Get your ND permit.
    2. Take an NRA approived Handgun Safety Course
    3. Get a UTAH CCW permit.

The Utah permit has got to be one of the better permits to get, possibly even better than Florida

What Desk Jockey has said is true. That being said you will find when talking to different LEO in the state while there's no law forbidding concealed carry in your vehicle (not on you person) it's some what of a grey area. I personally did it all the time before I had my CCL, of course being a resident makes it more likely to get less attention than if your from out of state. I guess it depends on the LEO who's doing the stop as to how it would turn out. Of course open loaded carry in your vehicle is allowed in WY and should not be a problem.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Right Wing Wacko View Post
    The Utah permit has got to be one of the better permits to get, possibly even better than Florida
    Tennessee and Michigan have the best ones as far as numbers of states that they retain validity. Good luck getting a Tenn non resident permit though.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

No permission paper (permit) requirement for open or concealed carry is the best way - Alaska and Vermont.

Wyoming and Montana have looking at this option too in addition to having an optional permit, for those that travel outside their State.

Sponsored Links