How about the "little" things

This is a discussion on How about the "little" things within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thought a thread on the "little" things of personal security might be interesting. We all know and stress weapon handling safety, situational awareness, de-escalation, etc. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How about the "little" things

How about the "little" things

Thought a thread on the "little" things of personal security might be interesting. We all know and stress weapon handling safety, situational awareness, de-escalation, etc. But what about the little things we do everyday to maintain our safety. There's a lot of new folks around here these days and this could be really interesting.

Here's my quick take on my vehicle. If I'm in a parking lot I always like to circle my vehicle. Observe tires (no flats!) and condition. I'm also watching anyone around me. A few times I've walked on past and zig zagged through a few more spaces 'cause a shaky looking individual was a little ways behind me and wanted to see if he was really following me or not. Especially concerned with leaving the pharmacy as the dope heads here think it's a candy store. On entering vehicle I first lock doors then start up and then sweep all three mirrors while buckling seat belt. I start up before buckling up just 'cause I can move immediately if I should ever need to.

As for driving I'm taking a lesson I learned in the military. It's all about the mission and I have a mission to perform here. It's to get from point A to point B safely and securely. It's not how fast I can do it, it's not how loud I can play my stereo or how cool I look. I need to complete the mission. I avoid idiots because they may compromise the "mission". Better I slow down and let them go their way. If I break the traffic laws I may get busted and blow the mission as well so by obeying traffic laws, including speed limits, I won't have to worry about that factor any more. I monitor vehicles behind me for unusual tailing. On a few occasions I've used the three left turn test. So far no followers. Paranoid? I know one gent who had someone try to pop him by following him to a heavy traffic red light after leaving a range to steal his firearms so I know it can happen. For me looking at driving like this has changed my attitude behind the wheel the last few years and also made me more secure in a vehicle.

So what are some of your "little" things you use for security in your daily life.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    When driving I always leave myself an "out" by stopping far enough behind the vehicle in front of me so that I can pull around it if it doesn't move.

I never pull up directly or straight across from the vehicle beside me.

Keep your head and eyes moving especially when stopped.

Always lock your doors too.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Good advice!

Good stuff. For the newbies, one way to leave enough distance from the preceeding car at the stoplight is to make sure you can see where his rear tires touch the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Thought a thread on the "little" things of personal security might be interesting. We all know and stress weapon handling safety, situational awareness, de-escalation, etc. But what about the little things we do everyday to maintain our safety. There's a lot of new folks around here these days and this could be really interesting.

Here's my quick take on my vehicle. If I'm in a parking lot I always like to circle my vehicle. Observe tires (no flats!) and condition. I'm also watching anyone around me. A few times I've walked on past and zig zagged through a few more spaces 'cause a shaky looking individual was a little ways behind me and wanted to see if he was really following me or not. Especially concerned with leaving the pharmacy as the dope heads here think it's a candy store. On entering vehicle I first lock doors then start up and then sweep all three mirrors while buckling seat belt. I start up before buckling up just 'cause I can move immediately if I should ever need to.

As for driving I'm taking a lesson I learned in the military. It's all about the mission and I have a mission to perform here. It's to get from point A to point B safely and securely. It's not how fast I can do it, it's not how loud I can play my stereo or how cool I look. I need to complete the mission. I avoid idiots because they may compromise the "mission". Better I slow down and let them go their way. If I break the traffic laws I may get busted and blow the mission as well so by obeying traffic laws, including speed limits, I won't have to worry about that factor any more. I monitor vehicles behind me for unusual tailing. On a few occasions I've used the three left turn test. So far no followers. Paranoid? I know one gent who had someone try to pop him by following him to a heavy traffic red light after leaving a range to steal his firearms so I know it can happen. For me looking at driving like this has changed my attitude behind the wheel the last few years and also made me more secure in a vehicle.

So what are some of your "little" things you use for security in your daily life.
    you should have been a cop with abilities such as that
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post

As for driving I'm taking a lesson I learned in the military. It's all about the mission and I have a mission to perform here. It's to get from point A to point B safely and securely. It's not how fast I can do it, it's not how loud I can play my stereo or how cool I look. I need to complete the mission. I avoid idiots because they may compromise the "mission". Better I slow down and let them go their way.
    Well said and good advice for all!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Have your keys out and ready when you approach your vehicle. Looking for your keys is a great time for someone to engage you. Your occupied and not paying attention and may have your hands in your pockets.
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

amen,brother. excellant post.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member
    Don't ya just hate carrying fast food to the car, all of that great smelling food and some cold drinks, man I would just hate to have to drop it to confront someone. Isn't it odd how we will chance having a wreck before we will spill a cold Coke.

Good advice!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I basically use the same entry strategies, with one subtle difference. I first lock the doors, start the car, then put it in gear, and move out of a parking lot space before I buckle up. I always buckle up before I enter traffic. I do that because the buckling up is time and attention consuming, and by waiting I'm putting the vehicle into a "faster" exit mode if needed.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Great post. "On a few occasions I've used the three left turn test" I do the 4 right turns. The fourth gets you in the same path you were originally on. I also use the right turn. That way if stuck at a light, I have a better chance to pull out making a right.

If I have nothing to carry, as I walk to my vehicle I have my spitfire spray, which is attached to my keys, in my left hand ready to deploy. It is so small my hand completely covers it, and I look totally normal. My right hand is empty in case the spray needs backup.

If I have to carry something, I try to carry it in my left hand and leave my right hand available.

This isn't a super tactical thing. But as i walk out of my house i pat all my pockets once. If i don't feel anything where there should be i've forgotten something. I've done it so often i don't even notice im doing it.

A lot of solid advice here.

My father worked for UPS in Feeders (trailers) for 35 years and had a 35 year safe driving record. He taught me how to drive the "UPS way" with their Seeing Habits as my foundation. I'm not trying to turn this into a driver safety thread but, I believe these habits can easily be applied to other areas of our lives.

Five Seeing Habits:

Aim High In Steering: Look as far down the road as possible to uncover important traffic information to make appropriate decisions.

Get The Big Picture: Maintain the proper following distance so you can comfortably determine the true hazards around your vehicle. Don't tailgate others.

Keep Your Eyes Moving
    : Scan - don't stare. Constantly shift you eyes while driving. Active eyes keep up with changing traffic conditions.

Leave Yourself An Out: Be prepared. Surround your vehicle with space in front and at least on one side to escape conflict.

Make Sure They See You: Communicate in traffic with your horn, lights and signals to establish eye contact with motorists and pedestrians. Be reasonably sure of people's intentions.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

While I never thought of this being a purely driving thread I just thought of something else I do. I tend to drive to and from work by different routes when I can. I own part of the company and have had to fire a few folks over the years. I've also confronted drug users and dealers trying to use our industrial complex and called in the cops on them. Recently my neighbors and I discovered a group of latin dealers were using a spot on a side street next to us as a drug drop and sicced the cops on them, nobodies been caught yet but a carload of 'em parked in the street and tried staring down my neighbor. He's retired LE though and don't take well to this behavior. Lately either I'm a magnet for felons or this area is going down fast. I'm just not the type who takes this crap laying down. So I'm upping my caution levels and mixing up routines.

If all goes to plan we'll be moving in three months or so anyway. Keep your eyes open folks, it's a crazy world out there.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links