Home Security

This is a discussion on Home Security within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am in the process of beefing up my home security. I have six foot privacy fence around my lot with a neighbor on each ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Security

Home Security

I am in the process of beefing up my home security. I have six foot privacy fence around my lot with a neighbor on each side and a neighbor that borders half my lot in the rear. The rear of my lot faces the street and on the other side of the street is an open 7 acre lot that runs up against road (4 lane ). So basically it would be easy for someone to jump the fence in the back undetected.

It is also a very peaceful neighborhood and my neighbors seem somewhat unconcerned about security ( I know better). I have three dogs - they would let me know if someone is around but they would do absolutely nothing to help.

I have recently installed motion detectors outside as well as motion lights. I have added additional deadbolts to the front door and extra locks on the rear slider ( these are the only two conventional entrances besides the garage door). I am going to add security covers to my window wells - someone could easy drop down in one of these and enter undetected through the basement windows.

I have recently installed a peep hole in the front door and I am also wanting to install an intercom system because i don't want my wife opening the door to someone that we don't know - we get a lot of people selling things door to door here and it would be an easy ploy to gain access.

We do not have a land line, we never used it so we disconnected it and use our two cell phones solely. I have no children so it is just me and my wife in the downstairs master bedroom at night. I sleep with a 1911, Mossberg 590, Surefire G2 and cell phone within quick reach.

I am including a floor plan of my house ( I also have a full basement). Any additional suggestions to make the place more secure would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Not sure if its wise to put your floorplan on the internet. The other thing i could suggest is a couple of video camera's. Front door, back door, garage, something pointing at the street.

I can't see your floor plan, but do you have a security system that covers ALL windows and doors?

Automated gattling guns!! :-)

No alarms on doors or windows..? Even some of those cheapy stick-on models would let you know if an entry point was open, and they even make similar units that detect if a window was broken. Trying to remember where I saw them online, but I got mine from Lowe's for like $5 a unit.

Also, do you have the reinforced door jams, with at least 3" screws?
    .40 is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    Not sure if its wise to put your floorplan on the internet. The other thing i could suggest is a couple of video camera's. Front door, back door, garage, something pointing at the street.
    I can take it down if most people don't think it is unwise, but I would think anyone with a computer could go to the same site that I downloaded this floor plan from and do the same thing. Also anyone seeing this on this forum will realize that they will be greeted with a 12 gauge if they pay me a nighttime visit.

I am looking into alarms - I don't want one that alerts an off site operator. Any recommendations?

The reinforced door jams are an excellent idea.

I'd say possibly some cameras around the house. At least one at front door for seeing who's there, and maybe a few around the perimeter covering each side of the house and its openings.

For a simple front door camera panasonic makes a video doorphone. One unit gets installed where the doorbell would be and includes a camera. The other unit you put somewhere in the house and it has a video screen on it. So when someone rings the doorbell the video shows up on the little unit in the house. Nice and simple, but usually only supports the one camera and you have to go to that device to view the image.

If you do multiple cameras then I'd say look into getting what's called a security camer DVR (digital video recorder).....it's basically a TIVO for cameras and they're starting to replace a lot of the tape-based systems you've seen used in business. I used to do a lot of low voltage audio/video work and put in several of these and they are just neat. Takes a little more wiring (usually just Cat-5, though panasonic has some wireless solutions $$$).

The advantage is that you put you multiple cameras around the house, they all connect into this unit and it just sits and records everything to its hard-drive. Most of the DVRs now are able to put onto your house computer network (just connect it to your router) and from anywhere in your house (or in the world with your laptop and internet access) you can log onto your unit and view any and all of your cameras.

Another trick is to tie in a video feed from a camera into your cable system. It takes some thinking out but in simple terms you'd basically take a video feed (either from a single camera or from a recording device like above) and turn it into a cable channel using a modulator, and then inject that into the TV wiring in your house (can work w/ satellite also). Useful for when you hear something go bump or someone at the door, all you do is turn on the tv and switch it to a certain channel.

And even though you don't have a land-line you can still put in a home security system w/ a cell phone backup that just dials out via a cell phone signal instead a land-line.....little more $$$ though.

Yeah camera's let you see the bad guy coming and record events for the police later. If he bugs out they still might be able to id him from the images.

Just saw your other reply.

If you're looking at alarms: Is your home already hardwired for a security system? If it is then you can contact a local security company and/or audio/video installer about putting in a system and just not have it monitored. It'll still be a "noise maker".

If it's not wired there completely wireless models available that don't require you to go running wire everywhere, and they work pretty well. Again, you don't have to get it monitored. Just have to deal with occasional battery changes in the door/window units.

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    I am looking into alarms - I don't want one that alerts an off site operator. Any recommendations?

The reinforced door jams are an excellent idea.
    I know I've seen them on plenty of websites, maybe even on on Harbor Freight. But like I said, I got mine at Lowe's, for cheap. They run on AAA batt's that I haven't had to change after a year, they're ear-piercingly loud, to the point that I think somebody breaking in would pretty much just go running the other direction, just cause they're so unpleasant. Either way, nobody's getting into my house unannounced. You can get the door jam from Lowe's, too.

One other thing, pretty basic, but do you have a dowel in the track for your sliding door?
    .40 is fine.

VIP Member
    You said you added deadbolt lockk to the front door, what about the door from the garage, add a deadbolt there and possibly on on the door to the master bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    You said you added deadbolt lockk to the front door, what about the door from the garage, add a deadbolt there and possibly on on the door to the master bedroom.
    Also,what're those doors made out of? A deadbolt on the master bedroom door won't do lots of good if it's not a solid-core door, and the reinforced door jam there would probably be a good idea as well.
    .40 is fine.

Locks on all interior doors is a good idea. In case of a home invasion you can gather everyone and lock yourselves in the master bedroom. From the floor plan it looks like you have a ton of aways in to your house. My family uses wooden dowels in the windows to keep them closed. Makes it so a criminal has to crawl in though broken glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Griblik View Post

One other thing, pretty basic, but do you have a dowel in the track for your sliding door?
    Actually, that's not the best way to secure the sliding glass door 'cuz a bg can slip a butter knife between the slider and the fixed window and flip the dowel out. There's a device designed specifically to secure sliding glass doors. Its an expandible bar that looks kinda like a shower curtain rod that expands by twisting a center piece and it REALLY fits tight to keep the slider from moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    Actually, that's not the best way to secure the sliding glass door 'cuz a bg can slip a butter knife between the slider and the fixed window and flip the dowel out. There's a device designed specifically to secure sliding glass doors. Its an expandible bar that looks kinda like a shower curtain rod that expands by twisting a center piece and it REALLY fits tight to keep the slider from moving.
    Where do you get one? Might have to trade out my dowels.
    .40 is fine.

DC Founder
    I've pretty much added all of the things that you mentioned in your original post, with the addition of a 7' block wall and a monitored Brink's alarm. We have all five exterior doors wired, but no windows (alot of our windows are fixed glass). Instead, the alarm is set to chime when a door is opened and alarm when anyone is picked up by infrared sensors scattered around the house. We don't use the alarm that often, but the signs and stickers do as much as the alarm itself. The family dog is kept inside the house and although she would probably not attack anyone, she has a loud, deep bark.

If you have alot of door-to-door salesmen, I would recommend a simple sign at your door that says "no solicitors". I have been considering adding some cameras to the doors.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links