Life's most embarrassing moments

This is a discussion on Life's most embarrassing moments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Life's most embarrassing moments I am sure all of us have had at least one, but for this forum, let’s keep it to conceal carry ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Life's most embarrassing moments

I am sure all of us have had at least one, but for this forum, let’s keep it to conceal carry embarrassing moments. And to start it off, I’ll tell ya mine.

It’s 1987, and I was going on a date with a nice young lady I had met. I was to meet her at a waterfront bar-restaurant on Singer Island right nest to the 5 star hotel I was staying at in Palm Beach Florida. Since I knew I would be drinking, I took my OWB holster and Colt 45 Combat Commander and placed it in the glove box of my car that I went ahead and parked at in the hotel parking lot.

After dinner and drinks, I stated to head back to my room, but then remembered I lad left my 45 in the car. Not wanting to have to undo my belt to use the holster, I simply placed tucked the 45 in small of my back and allowed my sport coat to cover it.

Upon entering the hotel, I made my way across the marble floors to the elevator. As the elevator doors opened a man and his wife along with another gentleman moved into the elevator, and as I stepped inside the 45 became loosened and slide down my pant leg, making a very loud kip-plunk on the marble floors.

Red faced to say the least, I had to bend over, pick up the 45 and return it to the small of my back, and since I was blocking the elevator, and everyone in the lobby was looking my way anyway, I went ahead and entered the elevator. While I was waiting for my floor one of the guys said, “you a cop of somethen?” , I responded with “or something”, and at that time my the door open for my floor.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator

Talking Oops!

My first carry combo was a Para P16-40 and a Fobus roto holster...

While at the mall, the adj. screw for the holster let go, and due to the weight, my pistol "up ended" and dumped my gun on the floor of the mall.

I got it off the floor and tucked under my arm pit in about 1 second, but the look on the face of the guy who was behind me was priceless, and as he was now ahead of me he kept loooking over his shoulder watching me.

I headed to the bathroom as quick as I could, removed my jacket and hat shoving them into a shopping bag, repaired that dang holster as best as I could, and went to go get my hair cut.

While waiting in the barber shop, I noticed A LOT of mall secrutiy personnel scurrying about, probably looking for me.

I bought a Galco IWB later that day.

VIP Member
    Back when I was new to CCW and had not yet learned the value of a quality holster, I had a, though not public thank God but yet still a very embarrassing moment in a public restroom.

I had one of those "urgent" realizations that I should find a toilet IMMEDIATELY!

In my hasty approach, as I unbuckled my pants and turned around to sit... you guessed it, CLUNK... SPLASH!

Fighting "extreme urgency" it was all I could do to quickly retrieve my now soaking wet weapon before nature did what it was determined to imminently do!

Needless to say, everything came out ok in the end!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I once joined a pick-up beach volleyball game wearing a G23 in a cheap nylon IWB. I dove for a dig, and the pistol flew right out into the sand.... Lesson learned on how to break up a volleyball game right quick.

The good news is, I decided not to clean the pistol at all (not even blow off the exterior sand) before shooting it next. No problems whatsoever, not that I was expecting any. I also decided a better holster was in order...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Thumper...that just shows how much we all love our firearms. Look at what you went through to take care of yours!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Thumper...that just shows how much we all love our firearms. Look at what you went through to take care of yours!
    THANK GOD it wasn't a Sani-Hut!

superior skills."

Oh the horror!!! The madness of it all! The visual images are killing me.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Administrator
    Seems a common theme here is cheap holsters...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Seems a common theme here is cheap holsters...
    i was just thinking the same thing
    theres a lesson to learn here people. get a holster that will
    a. hold your gun when someone picks you up, holds you upside down, and shakes you
    b. not fall apart

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    i was just thinking the same thing
    theres a lesson to learn here people. get a holster that will
    a. hold your gun when someone picks you up, holds you upside down, and shakes you
    b. not fall apart
    Well, we all know that now....
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    Oh the horror!!! The madness of it all! The visual images are killing me.
    This is an image I really do not need in my brain.......
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    No Offense to JD and OPFOR......But thank god for forums like this giving good advice on how to NOT make the same mistakes........hehehehe
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    No Offense to JD and OPFOR......But thank god for forums like this giving good advice on how to NOT make the same mistakes........hehehehe
    None taken...there were no interwebs out there when I started carrying, so I had to learn from my own mistakes... Now, I can find thousands of 'oops' moves out there with a mouse click, and can (hopefully) avoid those few mistakes I haven't already made!

VIP Member
    It took me few few years to see the humor in what happened to me... I will state in my own defense that I had a VM-II on order but...

That's why I now advise NOT getting a cheapo to hold you over for 28 weeks, but if you ordered say an IWB, then maybe get a good OWB from the many sources like Galco and others so you have a quality holster that you can still use when you custom arrives.

BTT

superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    This wasn't me, but someone I know.

He was transfering his weapon and some gear from his personal vehicle to his unmarked car at home before going to work that day. In the process of having both arms full and trying to open the trunk he set his G19 on the rear bumper. After he got everything loaded, he got in his car and headed off to work, forgetting his G19 on the bumper.

Fortunately, the weapon was recovered when a convicted felon had picked it up off the road. The felon had called the department to find out how to transfer the weapon into his own name!

No, my friend didn't arrest him for being a felon in possession of a weapon. He was happy to have recovered his weapon without anything bad happening.

He did however arrest the guy for having an outstanding warrant.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links