What would you do?

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a CCW in my state. My place of employment bans weapons on their property. I drive 62 miles one way to work. I've ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I have a CCW in my state. My place of employment bans weapons on their property. I drive 62 miles one way to work. I've always carried one in the vehicle. Due to the fact that the company does pre-emp background checks, and I believe my permit information may be known (since my state has public records of it), and vehicles on company property are subject to search at any time for reasonable cause. I've been driving to work naked for a couple of months now. So----what would you do?

Are you required to park on company property? Do you have any other parking options?

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Install a secure locking pistol case in your vehicle. Even if someone goes snooping it will be locked up tight. That would be safer all around for you too for that matter. This way you have access to it as soon as you leave their property.

As the previous poster described, I have a small locksafe mounted under my seat that contains the carry gun. I keep it there while at work, when i get off, it comes out. All I have to do is refuse tom open it. Luckily, I know all of the security guards here at work, so they will give me a heads up if anything happens. besides, they pay those guys minimum wage to man the guard shack, they are actually glad that we pack here at work, because their own spineless company won't allow them to even be certified to be armed, due to "liability" issues.

So my solution is to:

1) Buy some sort of lockbox that allows you t secure your weapon before you arrive. 99% of the time, they are not going to damage your vehicle or property to find anything for which they would be financially liable.

2) get to know the security guards at your workplace by chatting with them everyday. Get to know them on a first name basis, then you can get the scoop on what is going down at your workplace; They are usually pretty talkative, becuase they are not well paid.

3) Be alert to your surroundings. If your company gets bought out, or is fixing to do a layoff, they will usually have a search just prior and just after to make sure you aren't stealing.

In short, just be careful.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    Install a secure locking pistol case in your vehicle. Even if someone goes snooping it will be locked up tight. That would be safer all around for you too for that matter. This way you have access to it as soon as you leave their property.

Theres your answer...and dont open unless they present a search warrant...no matter what their little sign says.

Srry, I lost that key a long time ago...no you can't cut it, I might find it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

First of all, are you working for the Federal Government, or sub contractor working on Governmental property? If not then I would do like the others have said and purchase a small lock box, and store your sidearm before entering the parking lot.

But, the choice is yours and if your company is anile regarding firearms it could cost you your job.

A lot of places have people sign contracts and weasel in clauses like "everything on company propety, including your rectum, are subject to be searched at anytime. Other weasely things employers make you sign include acknowledging that you are an "at will employee", meaning they can fire your butt for no reason at all, and certainly for non-compliance.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    A lot of places have people sign contracts and weasel in clauses like "everything on company propety, including your rectum, are subject to be searched at anytime. Other weasely things employers make you sign include acknowledging that you are an "at will employee", meaning they can fire your butt for no reason at all, and certainly for non-compliance.
    Oh absolutely, I know a lot of companies do that.

And it will probably cost you your job.

The problem on the companies part however is that they are placing a condition of employment that violates search and seizure laws.

It is an eventual test case to be sure.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

If at all possible I would start looking for a new job. First 122 Miles a day is way to far to travel for any job. Second I find it disturbing that any company thinks they own you and can search your property. I don't care about the whole property rights thing, I think these random searches of employee's cars oversteps those bounds. The police can't even do that.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    First of all, are you working for the Federal Government, or sub contractor working on Governmental property? If not then I would do like the others have said and purchase a small lock box, and store your sidearm before entering the parking lot.

But, the choice is yours and if your company is anile regarding firearms it could cost you your job.
    Letís say, hypothetically, that he did work for the feds, and worked on an Army Post as a civilian. The post has a no concealed weapon policy, and you can only bring a firearm on post if you are going in good faith to participate in a firearm related activity?

What would you recommend?

I am not trying to be a rebel rouser, I am genuinely curious.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I swear within the last few months I had read about a court decision that basically said companies could not enforce 'no-gun' laws in the parking lots if people were otherwise legally allowed to have guns in their cars. I can not, though, remember the reference. I presume it was for a specific state, and am drawing a blank on which one.

Is this ringing a bell with anybody else?

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    There is a case here in Oregon where a teacher is asserting her right to carry under Oregon law vs. the school district which has stated "no weapons" as a condition of employment.

I don't know if that has been ruled on yet or not.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

If it is the one I am thinking of.....

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    There is a case here in Oregon where a teacher is asserting her right to carry under Oregon law vs. the school district which has stated "no weapons" as a condition of employment.

I don't know if that has been ruled on yet or not.
    Regrettably the court ruled against her.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lockbox idea is what I'd do.

Something that bolts to the floor, or under the dash, or is under a carpet, but always out of sight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links