May Issue States

This is a discussion on May Issue States within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about the way may issue states work in that some of them will only issue carry permits to someone politically connected and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May Issue States

May Issue States

I was thinking about the way may issue states work in that some of them will only issue carry permits to someone politically connected and the average Joe has absolutely no chance like in MD or NJ.

Is this not a clear case of discrimination and couldn't someone conceivable sue the state to get it changed?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

2. Remove Ads

"In New York City, a concealed weapons permit is theoretically possible to get but in reality it takes a large degree of money, political influence, and/or celebrity to get one. Examples of current and past New York City permit holders would be Senator Charles Schumer, Robert DeNiro, Don Imus, Howard Stern, Ronald Lauder, Edgar Bronfman Sr., Donald Trump, William F. Buckley Jr., Harvey Keitel, Joan Rivers, Arthur Sulzberger, and Bill Cosby."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concealed_carry

Assistant Administrator
    couldn't someone conceivably sue the state to get it changed?
    Very tempting but regretably I think a David and Goliath non-runner, unless of course you have Bill Gate's bank account! (Or are a very good slingshot!).

I am sure the list of potential ''excuses'' - ergo justification for ''special permits'' would easily swamp the average Joe wanting justice.... sad to say - but only MHO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Is this not a clear case of discrimination and couldn't someone conceivable sue the state to get it changed?
    Good luck. Even a starving attorney wouldn't take on a case like this.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post
    I was thinking about the way may issue states work in that some of them will only issue carry permits to someone politically connected and the average Joe has absolutely no chance like in MD or NJ.

be glad you live in Pennsylvania, a SHALL ISSUE state

I, unfortunately, live in the Commie-wealth of Massa-chusetts, a "may issue" state

* sighs *

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 500Mag View Post

Liberalism always generates the exact opposite of the stated intent. I.e. they are hypocrits.

Also there would be no proof to sue the state over that.

I do believe there is such a case right now before the Supreme Court regarding Washington DC

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    "In New York City, a concealed weapons permit is theoretically possible to get but in reality it takes a large degree of money, political influence, and/or celebrity to get one. Examples of current and past New York City permit holders would be Senator Charles Schumer, Robert DeNiro, Don Imus, Howard Stern, Ronald Lauder, Edgar Bronfman Sr., Donald Trump, William F. Buckley Jr., Harvey Keitel, Joan Rivers, Arthur Sulzberger, and Bill Cosby."

That was a great link! Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueridge

And I'm sure most of these people have armed body gaurds too.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Very tempting but regretably I think a David and Goliath non-runner, unless of course you have Bill Gate's bank account!
    Of course, if you had Bill Gates' bank account, you wouldn't need to sue to get a permit!

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post

You'll find his picture in the dictionary under "hypocrite"...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I wonder how many outspoken anti's actually carry?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The standard rejection explanation in these states is, "You don't have a reason to carry a gun around." So, typically, they will approve permits for people who handle cash, jewelry, or pharmaceuticals for their businesses, but these carry permits will be limited to "business hours" or "to and from the bank" or other nonsense like that. In Maryland you can get a permit to carry for self-defense only if you can verify actual threats to you recorded in affidavit or police reports.

But these big name famous people, of course, face much more inherent danger to their own safety and well-being simply because they are famous and well-known. Ergo, they have sufficient reason to carry a gun!

Yeah, it sucks, and sucks royally at that. But the internal "logic" (dare I use the word?) is consistent and is not, on its face, an obvious form of discrimination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links