How many rounds before carrying?

This is a discussion on How many rounds before carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new here and lurked for a few day. I been carrying a Bersa 380 for the last 4 years. I finally got something ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many rounds before carrying?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar

Hello, I'm new here and lurked for a few day. I been carrying a Bersa 380 for the last 4 years. I finally got something bigger and was ready for another gun, I got a M&P 40C. I still need to get me a good IWB holster and get out and shoot it. My question is, how many fault free rounds of the same amunition should one shoot before carrying that gun? My thoughts are 200 but I'd love to hear what you guys think?

Mitch

I usually run 200-300 rounds through my new ones before considering them "carry-capable", including about 50-60 rounds of carry (hollowpoint or defensive) ammo.

I ran 320 rounds through my Springfield XD9 with no failures. As of last Saturday's range trip:1900 rounds trouble free and not even a hiccup.

My dad's old Model 10 2" has had about 500 rounds (lifetime), a little less than 200 of which have been mine.
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

Until you and the pistol become one. It is a tool, and an extension of you. This may sound odd---but in your practice, or range time, I actually hope you have some issues as opposed to "trouble free" shots before you carry it. You'll need to know how to react without panic, learn how to clear malfunctions, learn what creates malfunctions, learn what the 'tool' will do, and it's limitations. 'Plinking' ammo, and 'carry' (PD) ammo of different types should all make way through the barrel. After 200 rounds you'll likely know how soon you will adjust to your new tool, or whether you would like it to adjust to you. If you'd like it to adjust to you, then by no means waste any more ammo. Sell it or trade it. If you adjust to it well, then become more intimate with it. You and the tool need to operate simultaneously. Learning how to drive a new car would be a walk in the park compared to you and your new pistol. 200 rounds? I think you're setting the wrong goals and setting those goals way too soon. Just my opinion of course.

Distinguished Member
    My thoughts are if you can run 200 shells with-out any problems, you should be OK, but I hope you continue to practice with it, and that should give you ongoing feedback to its reliability.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Until you and the pistol become one. It is a tool, and an extension of you. This may sound odd---but in your practice, or range time, I actually hope you have some issues as opposed to "trouble free" shots before you carry it. You'll need to know how to react without panic, learn how to clear malfunctions, learn what creates malfunctions, learn what the 'tool' will do, and it's limitations. 'Plinking' ammo, and 'carry' (PD) ammo of different types should all make way through the barrel. After 200 rounds you'll likely know how soon you will adjust to your new tool, or whether you would like it to adjust to you. If you'd like it to adjust to you, then by no means waste any more ammo. Sell it or trade it. If you adjust to it well, then become more intimate with it. You and the tool need to operate simultaneously. Learning how to drive a new car would be a walk in the park compared to you and your new pistol. 200 rounds? I think you're setting the wrong goals and setting those goals way too soon. Just my opinion of course.
    Excellent post!

I couldn’t have said it better!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

200 is a safe bet. I only run about 50 through my new guns, but I've had a lot of trigger time through the years and am comfortable enough to pick up just about any handgun and be proficient. As an armorer, I put more faith in a complete breakdown than a round count.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

200 sounds good, with some carry ammo included, since you can carry the Bersa while checking the new M&P. Of course if one has only one pistol, then it would be desirable to carry it between function tests at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post

I understand exactly what you are saying and that is great advice to anyone. With my question, I was wondering about the amount of rounds that one should feel that the gun and round is a good combination. I feel the same way as you about being compitent, confident, and comfortable with the gun. I do take the privlage of CCW seriously and except the responsibilities.

My next question:
    So is it the norm on this forum for people to assume because someone is new to this forum that they don't know crap and is new to carrying and or firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

200 sounds good, with some carry ammo included, since you can carry the Bersa while checking the new M&P. Of course if one has only one pistol, then it would be desirable to carry it between function tests at the range.

Thanks Anubis! You are right, i have that luxury with the Bersa. It will be awhile before the 40C is carried.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    My thoughts are if you can run 200 shells with-out any problems, you should be OK, but I hope you continue to practice with it, and that should give you ongoing feedback to its reliability.

Z
    Thanks SleepingZ! That is what I was thinking too. I love to get out and shoot, I don't do it as much as some but I definitly believe in practice.

I'll run 1K counted and tracked rounds.

In that time I'd expect to have one FTFire via a dud round, 1 FTE via a bent casing, and 1 FTFeed via a misaligned or badly crimped bullet within it's casing.
    The above is normal across a range of 1K rounds.
    If I run into anything above and beyiond this such as further failures to feed or fire (e.g. light strikes) then I'll know that the firearm has a problem and have confirmed it's the firearm within the 1K rd. limit.
    Also within that time frame I would have learned and my brain adapted at a sub conscious level to the guns own point of impact as relative to the sights.
    Additionally my body and hand in that time will have adapted and learned the grip of the gun and I'll know for sure that when I go to grasp it be it from the holster or open on a table/off the deck that within immediate touch of the firearm my fingers and palm will enclose it correctly and do so automatically, everytime.
    Oh and throw every brand and make of ammo through it that you can get your hands on including minimum two boxes of your anticipated carry ammo.
    Now during the testing phase is when you wnat to discover surprises and mechanical idiosyncracies as opposed to when you are in a match or worse on the street.

How ever long it takes me to hit that number doesn't matter so much to me as long as I hit that number.
    Normally it would be 3-4 weeksof once a week range trips to hit 1K rounds.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

My next question:
    So is it the norm on this forum for people to assume because someone is new to this forum that they don't know crap and is new to carrying and or firearms?

The way I see it, there is a two fold reason for making the assumption that the person asking knows little to nothing, in general not directed at you. Reason one is that you really don't know the people of the forums and have no knowledge of their skill set. This leads to maybe more thorough answers than are needed. The second reason I see for it is, even if they believe you have a good skill set the other lurkers may not. So by adding the extra info it helps the thread as a whole.

Janq, I like your approach. I don't get to shoot that often. Do you reload? I couldn't afford to shoot that often even if I had the time.

I think a lot of it depends on the person and the gun personally. If someone is very familiar with guns, different types, triggers, operations ect. they may not need to fire as many rounds through their gun as somone who is new to the gun, or carry world. Different gun manufacturers, or types of guns may plays some part in it too. If your carrying a 1911 and are going to use some odd ammo, you might want to put more than 50 carry rounds through it. Not picking on the 1911, but that gun was designed for 230 gr ball ammo. My Dan Wesson definately has issues with certain brands. There are other guns out there that have proven reliable with anything you can jam into the magazine.

If your carrying a revolver, there is probably a better chance that ammo won't be much of an issue as with an auto.

Basically shoot your gun, get familiar with it, and when you feel like you have confidence in it start to carry. Continue practicing and continue to learn about your weapon of choice as long as your going to carry it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Good call Ragin Cajun,

""So is it the norm on this forum for people to assume because someone is new to this forum that they don't know crap and is new to carrying and or firearms?""

You can never tell how much experience one has until you get to talk to them some, and maybe not then.

How many rounds, 50 to 200 min depending. As for carrying once you get your CHP, it is like you learner’s permit, you have to get out and start carrying because there sure is not any school you can go to, to learn. Read the books and magazines, and see what the people of the forums have to say. On the street you do not have anyone to help unless you can find some close to be your “Field Training Officer”.

I just got it Sunday and have not shot it yet. I wanted to get a feel for how many rounds without a misfeed or other problems to consider a good match and I know a good match consist of other factors beside feeding, such as accuracy, managable recoil, ect. I'll stick with 200 as a minimum but may and probably will be a lot more then that before carrying it provided all the other factors work out. Who knows, after I shoot it this weekend, I may not like it. Just have to see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links