Mall Conceal Carry Legal?

Mall Conceal Carry Legal?

This is a discussion on Mall Conceal Carry Legal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Actual situation where a decent size mall has legal "no concealed weapons" signs at the main doors. However there are other entrances to the mall, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mall Conceal Carry Legal?

Question Mall Conceal Carry Legal?

Actual situation where a decent size mall has legal "no concealed weapons" signs at the main doors.
    However there are other entrances to the mall, i.e. Belks, Sears, Bath, Bed and Beyond...etc, that have no signs.
    Without asking a LEO in my town, does anyone have knowledge if carrying would be legal or illegal under these circumstances?
    It's been stated to me that the other stores give the carry folks a loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Actual situation where a decent size mall has legal "no concealed weapons" signs at the main doors.
    However there are other entrances to the mall, i.e. Belks, Sears, Bath, Bed and Beyond...etc, that have no signs.
    Without asking a LEO in my town, does anyone have knowledge if carrying would be legal or illegal under these circumstances?
    Orginarily the individual stores would have exclusive rights to their leased spaces. However, I assume that the mall has common areas to which they can post signs. The mall is likely to encounter problems where there are exits from Sears, etc. and no sign is posted for the Sears, etc. exits into the common areas. For those entrances, they should have a separate sign posted. If the mall were to try to prosecute someone who entered from one of the stores where no sign was posted at that particular entrance and that person had no knowledge of the signs at the main entrance, I would like to take the mall on in a civil damage suit.

if there is a door without a sign, go in that door. if for some reason something happens, well, how could you have known it was posted on other doors? the one you went in didnt say anything!

In Colorado every entry must be posted. Also check and see what the penalty and rules for posted private property are. In Colorado if you enter any private property they can ask you to leave and if you refuse they can call the police and have you physically removed and you could be charged with trespassing a petty offense.

There is also the question of whether it's illegal to carry there or just against their policy. If it's just their policy, the worst they can do in most states (not sure about yours) is ask you to leave then charge you with trespassing if you refuse. That's what I hear anyways.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Thanks for the replies that I have rec'd up to now.
    I'm not one to push the law but w/all the problems going on today there are only two ways they will ever find out if I carry:
    1. If I have to draw or
    2. If I drop dead from too many Dairy Queens

Well if you drop dead from too many DQs, they will need to put on your tombstone "doesn't play well with anti-gun types" and if you need to draw it, maybe your state has a "safe harbor" law.

Entering through an entrance that is not posted is a great idea, but make sure that there isn't a posting at the transition from the store you entered going into the common area of the mall.
    "I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it"

In Florida the signs don't mean anything, but they can ask you to leave if caught. Thats FL law, Better check SC law
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

In Kansas it is a criminal offense to carry where the premises are "conspicuously posted". No definition of these words is provided in the statute. Guess that means it's up to the judge to decide?

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    In Colorado every entry must be posted. Also check and see what the penalty and rules for posted private property are. In Colorado if you enter any private property they can ask you to leave and if you refuse they can call the police and have you physically removed and you could be charged with trespassing a petty offense.
    In Colorado, signs are irrelevant whether at every door or none. If they ask you to leave, you must, signs or not. Signs have no legal weight.

Quote Originally Posted by silver dollar View Post
    In Kansas it is a criminal offense to carry where the premises are "conspicuously posted". No definition of these words is provided in the statute. Guess that means it's up to the judge to decide?
    In Kansas, only the official Beretta Buster sign from the AGs office has legal weight and must be reproduced 8x8 inches (graphic 6x6) to be valid.

If you stopped one of the mass murderers that seem to be visiting malls these days I don't think anyone would complain.

As for the signs, more idiots assuming that the bad guys are going to obey them.

Ohio:
    If it's posted, it's a felony to carry within the posted area.
    I don't go to the Lodi Outlet Mall anymore. It's posted. They've also lost several businesses since posting. Cause and effect? I don't honestly know.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Quote Originally Posted by silver dollar View Post
    Also in Kansas our local mall fits the thread description. Door into mall proper are posted. (Well even then for some strange reason one door isn't.) But you can enter several stores and from them go into the mall proper with no signs around. I try to avoid the mall but on more than one occasion have gone into Penny's (where I wanted to shop anyway, then out into the Mall proper without worrying about it.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    My thoughts on those nasty signs are if you have your weapon concealed properly, no one will know you have it and you won't get caught or have any problems. If you need to use it, then oviously the situtation is bad and who gives a crap about the misdimeaner for having it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links