So I am sitting in the ER...

This is a discussion on So I am sitting in the ER... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I laid my left middle finger open at work yesterday and had to go in to Concentra to get it dealt with. As I am ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I laid my left middle finger open at work yesterday and had to go in to Concentra to get it dealt with.

As I am sitting there waiting for the Dr. to come in and either stitch or glue my finger back together, I got to thinking...The last time I had to come into this place for work, I had to do a pee test and they had me strip off my belt and everything attached to it (flashlight, cell phone, keys, wallet...) before I went into the bathroom for the donation.

Here I am with my CC in a tucked IWB, spare mag, and the rest of the usual. How am I going to deal with this? I figured I would loose everything but the CC and hope the nurse does not notice the clips still attached to my pants. If they did... Do I show my CC permit and discretely explain what it is, do I say "I would really rather not", or "Legally I can't remove that item"? Never mind that fact that I am not a dog and do not pee on command.

For an hour and a half I worked this over and still had no idea how I was going to deal with this. Bear in mind I am in a company truck working in the field, and the company supposedly has a "No gun" policy.

Ultimately they fixed me up and sent me on my way, no pee test (supposed to get one on any Work Comp injury).

How would you deal with this situation? I am still unsure. Note that they do not let you leave the building until you donate.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I would have left my gun in the truck.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

OK. So, you were hurt and probably weren't thinking too clearly. As stated above (in no minced terms) by my fellow Kentuckian, I might have elected to disarm prior to going in to get taken care of. That aside, everybody makes mistakes. Unfortunately, gun gaffes are a little more serious than 'bonk, I could have had a V8' moments.

I think you have to ride this one out and see what comes to you. Maybe go ahead and remind them that you were never required to 'donate' (silly word, since you don't get a tax break for it and they just throw it away after they test you), and volunteer to do so immediately. Of course, we're all assuming you'll pass with flying colors and therefore should be carrying AND driving your truck (as is would be everywhere, if we lived in a world where all laws made sense).

Unless asked, I'd avoid the firearm issue at all costs, given their policy. If pressed or threatened with your job about the gun, this may be a time for a lawyer's help(there are lots on this site who will chime in here, I'm betting). There has been lots of press lately over certain states who are NOT allowing employers to restrict a driver's right to carry. Maybe you can buck up and get things where you are changed. But that is reactionary and probably not an easy way.

Volunteer to pee, then wait n' see!!
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

If asked to take enough off to reveal your carry, I would tell them I have a permit to carry & was armed. Would not leave it unattended. Dont know about Kentucky & not about to go to Calif. but here in Texas that would be acceptable. When my Dr. found out he was cool w/ it. We dont see it as a problem here. Hope the same would be there.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

I was under the impression that (in Ohio at least), carrying was a big big no-no in a hospital, and you could be subject to some major legal action if caught. I work in an ER, I know for a fact that if I was caught carrying at work, it would be at the very least bye-bye job (I keep my firearm locked in my car). Also I'm sure if most of the people I work with spotted a gun on someone, legal CCL or not, the person carrying would be going out the door in cuffs and with alot more than just a "trespassing" charge. A doctor's office is one thing, but an Emergency Room is a completly different animal, at least that was my impression when it comes to the legality of a CCL holder in a hospital.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Not sure why if you were uncertain for 1.5 hours...you didn't go back out to your truck to disarm since the potential for a golden flow check and job jeopardy were a significant concern.

Rick

Ohio Hospital Assn. pressures its members to be Criminal Protection Zones (CPZs) -- I have seen a variety of no-guns signs but have yet to see one that's accurate: "Attention Criminals, everyone within has been legally disarmed for your convenience, enjoy!"
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

It's a simple process at the ER I work in. Just mention your packing CCW to any the ER staff and we'll kindly lock up your weapons for the duration of your visit. No questions, no problems.

We like people who are up front with us.

I would have left the gun in the truck. I go to a hospital in Denver regularly for rehab. It is posted. I leave my weapon outside. I know why they are posted. The jails bring prisoners there for treatment.
    I don't uaually carry in the doctors office. If I have to undress my weapon is out of my control at times. As for the pee test, ask if they want it done. Then cover your bases.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Not sure why if you were uncertain for 1.5 hours...you didn't go back out to your truck to disarm since the potential for a golden flow check and job jeopardy were a significant concern.

Rick
    He said the they not allow you to leave the building until you "donated."

Maybe they were afraid you might pee in their parking lot!

If your hospital is not posted I would think they would have procedures in place to take control and lock up your weapon and if it ever happened again I would take advantage of this instead of getting in trouble with your boss.

Our hospital is posted against carry and my doctors office is also posted but he does not mind me carrying. I do quite a bit of work at his office and one day before going in for a job I asked him if needed to remove my weapon. He said no and wanted to see my Sig. He is a friend and hunter but is from Canada and I think he cannot get a CCW here in Oklahoma. Anyway while working there I carry but if I go in for a doctor appointment I leave my weapon in my truck.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

How can they stop you? The have no legal right to retain you, you can refuse medical treatment if you chose.

In most areas hospitals are off limits for carrying. Does not matter what the hospital's policy is or if it's posted - it is mandated by the state. So check your state's law regarding hospitals. I would think if discovered to be carrying, security would be called - then police and an arrest would follow with loss of carrying permit. Not to mention your job if they have a no gun policy. Again, not all states are the same - so I would be sure before entering.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I would have left it in the truck before walking in. Not worth the hassle! The hospitals here have security guards and signs posted everywhere. Some have metal dectors too.

VIP Member
    In VA it is not against the law to carry in a hospital. The hospital where my wife works is not posted, however it is against policy for employees to carry. As far as Concentra is concerned, that may be a gray area. Technically I don't think it is a hospital, just a medical treatment facility.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links