range log

range log

This is a discussion on range log within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if anyone else keeps a range log. I started this a while back, and really enjoy it. I keep a small notebook in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: range log

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar

range log

Just wondering if anyone else keeps a range log.
    I started this a while back, and really enjoy it.
    I keep a small notebook in my range bag, and log all rounds fired through each firearm.
    any FTF or other problems, weather conditions, etc...
    Please tell me I am not the only person that does this...??
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Curious about this myself. I'm pretty sure I'm getting a re-loading press for Christmas. Is there a printable format that people use?

I use an Excel spreadsheet to maintain shooting counts and other data for each gun that I have. You can be as complex as you desire, but I use date, rounds, total rounds, and a comment field as to practice, match, etc.

I also have a backup on my Palm Pilot that is always with me.
    Ralph
    NRA Life Member
    "Don't ever confuse being familiar with being safe."

I also use an excel spreadsheet to keep track of my round count, type of ammunition shot, bullet weight, manufacturer, malfunctions and so on. I like using excel because it adds everything up for me automatically, and I'm lazy when it comes to math.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Maybe a downloadable sample of it??? Some of us know of Excell but not anygood at formating it...

I keep a small note pad in my range kit.
    I'll note firearm, ammo caliber,ammo type & brand, qty., and 'results' for the day as relative to expected functionality inclusive of accuracy if it's a bullseye type day. Any zingers, failures, and trouble in general are noted as well as a comment.

Keeping a finite log by the bullet as I know some folks will do is of no good use for myself as per training intent.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I've got a ledger book in my range bag. Every now and then, I'll transfer the results to an Excel spreadsheet. I will occasionally take my laptop to the range with me and just record results directly. When I use the Chrony, I'll record and graph the results in Excel.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

When I use to target pink with high-power rifles, I kept a record of everything.

Powder, casing, primer, bullets used, and the targets. Nothing like three bullets passing through a dime at 100 yards.

Even had a chronometer to check the speed of the bullets as they left the barrel.

I never have done that with handguns. Don’t figure handguns are accurate enough to make a difference.

Mine's nothing formal. I make out specific targets on pizza boxtops as to what powder, bullet, and primer I'm using, or any factory loads I am testing. Once back to the homestead, I decipher the group sizes and determine if changes need to be made for improvement, or bullet seating depth. I then write down the statistics in a spiral notebook, and will add them later to my Lee Shooter program if they are true keepers.

Administrator
    I do for rifle, but I dont concern myself with anything else that much.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    my main goal with pistols is to keep an accurate round count..this helps with maintenance also.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I do a very simple range log (or, as I call it, a "diet journal" ) for each of my guns (all pistols at the moment). All I keep track of is the type and number of rounds fired by date. For my Ruger, keeping track of malfunctions would be too tedious. For my Sigs...well, if I have a malfunction, I will think about recording it!

I don't bother with my .22s, and I've never had any issues with my revolvers to speak of... In fact, I can't remember so much as a light primer strike.... so at the moment, no, no logs.
    I've decided on a compact 1911 (3" or 3.5" barrel length, probably a Kimber or Para... I'm saving up ) for my new CCW, and when I get it, I intend to keep a detailed range log for it. I'll probably create a sheet in Excel and then fill it in by hand at the range.

I'll keep track of round count / ammo type / magazine used / (estimated) group size (probly wont measure each target...), and any problems, etc...
    If you were expecting malfunctions (and breaking in a mini-1911, I've heard I should expect a fair few...) you could even create checkboxes for "failure to feed" "stovepipe" etc... so you could just check one instead of writing down what happened. I'll create an Excel sheet and post it here, it could be useful to some.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.

I keep a log of the quantity of rounds fired... mainly for maintenance purposes. Though I don't keep track of FTF etc I guess because after 4,000 rounds I have not had a single one!
    "If you do something to help someone and more than two people know about it, you did it for the wrong reasons." Officer Matt Lovejoy

Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    my main goal with pistols is to keep an accurate round count..this helps with maintenance also.
    This is my main reason too.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links