Switched carry guns for today. Now my usual gun hurts.

This is a discussion on Switched carry guns for today. Now my usual gun hurts. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Normally I carry a Glock 30 at 4:00 in a Sidearmor IWB. Been doing this for over two years and never had a comfort issue. ...

Normally I carry a Glock 30 at 4:00 in a Sidearmor IWB. Been doing this for over two years and never had a comfort issue. Absolutely love it. An extension of my body. I am one with it. I have my Pro Carry 10mm project going on and got it back from the smith recently. Past two weeks (after it passed the 1000rd test) it's been my daily companion at 3:00 in an Aker Flatsider OWB. Absolutely love it.

Well I decided to go with the G30 today for old time's sake so I swaped gear and went on with life. About three hours later my hip is on fire. Just not comfortable. I usually wear athletic shorts under my jeans for extra cushion, as I'm pretty skinny. Didn't help this time. Tried to reposition a few times but no help.

The G30 conceals better as the grip is shorter. That tight corner of the MSH on the 1911 is a bugger. I'm going to bobtail it myself but now it's getting done sooner than later. Almost done with the project. That is next on the list.

Can't figure this out. I've carried snubbies, a double stack Para full size, etc and never had a problem switching back to the G30/Sidearmor rig.

Am I the only one this has happened to?

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45
    I have my Pro Carry 10mm project going on and got it back from the smith recently.

Not to slam the Sidearmor holster in any way... They are good holsters, but maybe it's time to try a new holster set up for the G-30.

It happens from time to time.

JMHO
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I'd change holsters.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Looking to change holsters and see what happens.

JD, here's the current condition. Ed Brown externals and C&S Ultralight internals. Smooth as wet glass at 3#. FP safety removed. All that is left is XS Big Dot sights, a bobtail conversion, then refinishing. Have a RIA at the smith's going for a "poor man's Jim Wilson Special". Jet black except hammer, trigger, barrel and bushing.

Yes, find a holster that distributes the pressure of the the over a larger area, the Sidearmor holsters are nice but they put all of the guns footprint over a very small space.

Nice Pro Carry.

Senior Moderator
    That's kinda puzzling. You suppose the G30 was uncomfortable all along and you had just gotten use to it?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Unlikely. If it was uncomfortable I wouldn't carry in it in the first place. Don't know what changed. Puzzling.

Senior Moderator
    If you ever figure this out, I'd like to know what changed - kind of an intriguing problem.

Did your weight change; change belts, fasten belt in tighter/looser hole????
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

None of the above. Still skinny, same loop on belt, same belt. Wrangler carpenter jeans with loops in the same spot. I don't get it.

Strapped the Pro Carry back on today and all is well.

I lost a little padding off my sides and my gun isn't quite as comfortable as it used to be...but its nothing I'm not willing to put up with. Try eating a lot of hasbrowns and eggs and sitting on the couch all day. Nature's way of making you more comfortable...

Seriously though, when I carry my 442 appendix IWB it digs into my hip. If I wear it for a few days it goes away. If I haven't worn my 1911 for a few days it finds some hip bone to dig into as well...but it goes away after a day or so. I think your body adjusts somewhat...at least mine does. Either the nerves just cut it out because they figure I'm not listening, or my fat moves over and makes itself useful.

Austin

maybe its just gods way of telling you which you should be carrying....lol

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    None of the above. Still skinny, same loop on belt, same belt. Wrangler carpenter jeans with loops in the same spot. I don't get it.

Strapped the Pro Carry back on today and all is well.
    Maybe your gun and holster has got one of them there viruses, maybe to be sure, you should send it to me, and I will check it out.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I agree, try a different IWB holster that distributes the weight better.

It does seem a little odd that after two weeks you are having that much trouble. For me at least, anytime I change something like that , it takes better than a month for my body to loose it's "memory" so to speak of the item carried.

I am in the same boat as you frame wise, and my IWB caused the belt on the opposite hip to dig a bit. I took an old washcloth and folded it a few times and placed that between my hip and my pants for padding until my body got used to it.

My father in law carried the same service revolver in the same place for 7 years when he was in the FBI, and his body actually had the imprint of the grip, hammer, and holster outline in his hip that stayed with him for a year after he retired.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Links