Remember your first time?

This is a discussion on Remember your first time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Carrying that is. I just recieved my CCW permit in the mail yesterday so today is my first day carrying all day long. I'm only ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember your first time?

Carrying that is. I just recieved my CCW permit in the mail yesterday so today is my first day carrying all day long. I'm only a couple of hours into it. I tried to make it a little easier on myself today by wearing clothes that make it super easy to conceal without thinking about it.

I'd like to hear from some of you guys about your first time carrying and any tips you can give. SHANKS!

Concealed means concealed. Lot of people like to print so they can show off. If you are going to do this, then you might as well open carry. Keep in mind that practice makes perfect. I do not practice bullseye shooting because if you look at the reason you carry it is for self defense. Meaning that you are likely to have to draw and decide within seconds. The BG does not stand there and let you take aim. I practice by drawing and aiming while not looking at the sights (Just like a sling shot). keep you eye on the target! Thats the threat! With practice you can draw, and fire hitting a target without even thinking about it. It is muscle memory. Just like driving a car. Practice and practice. But do not forget to practice the draw, the gun is no good to you unless you can get it out quickly.

Nervous actually my first time. I still wonder about the day I'll end up setting off a metal detector somewhere. Congratulations on gaining your permit!

I don't really remember it after almost 15 years, but I do remember feeling much safer than before.

Concealed means concealed, but it does not mean you have to wear a parka year round.

The way I look at it is that most people wear so many things on their belts no a days like PDA's, cellphones, etc, that a small lump does not draw the attention some think.

Do your very best to conceal the gun, do not let your holster or the gun show at all, but besides that don't worry.

Good luck,
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Nervous actually my first time. I still wonder about the day I'll end up setting off a metal detector somewhere. Congratulations on gaining your permit!
    Yep,..Still nervous at times, I'm a newb at carrrying. Still trying to obtain a comfrotable IWB holster,and adjust my warddrobe.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I was nervous the first time as well. Just seemed really odd to me. Congrats!
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Absolutely......and it was every bit of 15 years ago.

I spent the whole day (ok....several days) flipping my shirt and checking any window/mirror I could find to make sure that I wasn't printing. In hindsight, I'm sure that my nervousness must have been hilarious to anyone who had been paying attention!

Advice? Get the right holster, wear the right clothes, then let it be.....you're fine.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Lol,agreed David. Esp the first couple times I went somewhere, dipped to a bathroom stall,double checked everything,..haha

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Hopefully I didn't give the impression that I plan on printing in the future. What I meant was that the shirt I put on is one of my larger shirts that hangs farther away from my body than most others.

And yeah, I've spent countless hours praticing point shooting from concealment. I've just gotta get myself out of doing some of the things you guys have mentioned - I keep grabbing at my shirt and checking myself in anything reflective.

Couple of hours into it you say...hmmm, looks like your gonna make it. To remove all doubt though ya gotta go to Wally World and get the nachos.

Have a great carry day and Merry Christmas.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

Assistant Administrator
    My first was near 6 years ago - remember it well.

I had gun in truck locked up - ammo elsewhere but rig on belt - just for my lil M85 snub this was.

Left SO with my permit and before leaving got ''tooled up''. Then followed my plan to drive to town for picking up stuff - which happened to included Wally World too!

Main feeling was one of awareness - both increased for surroundings and the sensation of the gun on hip. ''Novelty'' value perhaps - plus pleasure at being able to. Great effort was put into not adjusting - but I know I was hyper (unnecessarily) aware of how I appeared re the concealment. No probs tho as being winter - like now - heavy long open outer shirt - piece of cake
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Go to Wal-Mart!

It wasn't that big of a deal for me - I'd been carrying around the house to get used to it, and I knew it didn't print unless I did something drastic. You aren't doing anything wrong...you've got the permit...and no one is paying attention to you. They're all thinking about what's for dinner, who's cheating who, what's on TV etc...

Go to Wal-Mart!

Austin

jgp
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Go to Wal-Mart!
    I've been carrying (everyday!) for only about two months, and still find myself fidgeting with my shirt and being protective of my strong side, but it's getting better. I finally went to Wal-Mart two weeks ago to see what the fuss is about. I gotta say, it was really stressful. More so than work, the grocery store, bank, restaurants, etc. Something about that place, and the people bumping into you, cameras watching you... it's creepy!

Iíve been carrying a concealed weapon since 1976, so I really donít remember, and as my wife will tell you, ďif he has is pants on, consider him armedĒ.

I will tell you is donít worry about it. If you look nervous people around you will be edgy. Itís kind of like; act like you belong there and people will figure you do.

Just because you can notice a small bump on your side or bump in your pocket, donít think the public will notice, must less think itís a gun.

If youíre going to carry a mid size or large handgun, a quality leather pancake style holster is a must.

OD*

God no, Jimmy Carter had just taken office.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links