Moving guns from New York

This is a discussion on Moving guns from New York within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, one of my dry clean customers, (her name is Tricia) -- she and her husband moved to Oklahoma from New York (Buffalo). They both ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moving guns from New York

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar

OK, one of my dry clean customers, (her name is Tricia) -- she and her husband moved to Oklahoma from New York (Buffalo). They both have gun licenses, but she says those are not state wide but are county licenses. Anyway she is pro-gun (and hot!) and is interested in finding out how to legally move her guns from her parents' home in New York, to Oklahoma. She told me that the gun dealers in New York told her that the easiest thing to do is to sell the guns in New York and buy new ones in Oklahoma. I was wondering if any of the folks here have a better idea?

(How is this a carry issue? Well, she wants to carry here but needs to have gun here to do that.)
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    She needs to check OK law (talk with the OK pro-gun group?), but in almost all states you just move them with your personal effects or ship them from yourself to yourself (handguns must be by UPS or FedEx).

NO need to sell them and re-buy them in any "free states". Even in MA you can do the above, can't imagine that OK would be more strict.

Sounds like the NY dealer smells a "live one" to offer her 50% of value (average paid by dealer to buy your guns) and make a quick killing.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    She needs to check OK law (talk with the OK pro-gun group?), but in almost all states you just move them with your personal effects or ship them from yourself to yourself (handguns must be by UPS or FedEx).

NO need to sell them and re-buy them in any "free states". Even in MA you can do the above, can't imagine that OK would be more strict.

Sounds like the NY dealer smells a "live one" to offer her 50% of value (average paid by dealer to buy your guns) and make a quick killing.
    Yeah, somehthing smells fishy on that one....

There's no need to sell them and buy new ones, that's just silly.

I'd put them in a case unloaded in the trunk of the vehicle, drive west and never look back.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sounds like you are really wondering about transporting in NY. Not sure about NY law, and any states in between, but in OK you should have no problem transporting firearms to your new home.

Oklahoma
    Section 1289.7 - Firearms in Motor Vehicles - Exceptions
    Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle, shotgun or pistol, open and unloaded, at any time. For purposes of this section "open" means the firearm is transported in plain view, in a case designed for carrying firearms, which case is wholly or partially visible, in a gun rack mounted in the vehicle, in an exterior locked compartment or a trunk of a vehicle.

Any person, except a convicted felon, may transport in a motor vehicle a rifle or shotgun concealed behind a seat of the vehicle or within the interior of the vehicle provided the rifle or shotgun is not clip, magazine or chamber loaded. The authority to transport a clip or magazine loaded rifle or shotgun shall be pursuant to Section 1289.13 of this title.

Have an NY FFL holder ship them to a OK FFL holder. Used this method in the opposite direction, AR to NY. Only paid shipping. This may be the least-open-to-interpretation legal way. Always been nervous about the whole "just lock it in your trunk separate from ammo" versus "keep locked in plain sight" thing.
    Those who live by the sword, get shot by those who don't.

NY permits are statewide, just not NYC, which may as well be its own state.
    Nothing illegal about just leaving and taking your pistols with you, presuming they're legal to posess in Oklahoma.

Cool

I have a similiar issue, my brother who lives in Brooklyn, NY has two handguns that he wants to give to me. He has no permit, and I don't know as yet how he got them. I know they are not stolen and were more than likely purchased in North Carolina where his Father in Law lives. How do I legally transfer ownership to me here in Virginia? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Commonwealth of Virginia CCW
    SA XD .45 ACP 4" Service Model - Black
    Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
    Remington 798 .243 w/Leupold Scope
    Benelli M1 Tactical Special 12ga 18.5" open sight w/Muzzle Brake
    Mossberg - Maverick 88 12ga 18.5"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I'd put them in a case unloaded in the trunk of the vehicle, drive west and never look back.
    + one

Please liberate those guns and as soon as possible.

And please post pictures of your Hot customer doing so...

Locke em up and drive em out and be done with it. Peaceable Journey and all that because NY does not OWN them guns.

Senior Member Array Freedom Doc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    NY permits are statewide, just not NYC, which may as well be its own state.
    Nothing illegal about just leaving and taking your pistols with you, presuming they're legal to posess in Oklahoma.
    Absolutely they are legal to possess here in Oklahoma; especially since OK recognizes EVERYONE'S carry permit (as opposed to NY who does so for NO ONE ELSE). Yes, she was primarily concerned about running afoul of NY laws. Like, transferring the guns to HER permit (as her husband lost his). Yep, can anyone say de facto REGISTRATION?

Sure as heck glad I don't live in New York!
    Anti-gunners seem to believe that if we just pass enough laws, we can have utopia. Unfortunately, utopia is NOT one of our choices.

The only thing to worry about is making sure you are a resident of the state before shipping them through and FFL. Most states (not sure what oklahoma's is) require that you be a resident of the state for 90 days before you can purchase guns. So she might wanna hold off on shipping them if Oklahoma has a law like that or make sure the FFL holder is willing to store them for a while.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    This is covered by the transportation clause of FOPA: if you can legally possess the gun at both origin and destination, simply lock the guns in the trunk separate from the ammo and you are good to go. Obviously, she can legally own the guns in NY, and it seems there is no problem with OK, so no problem.

As others pointed out, it is perfectly legal to mail guns to yourself. I believe UPS and FedEx will not ship guns by ground, but snail mail is just fine.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    1. NO need for ANY FFLs on changing residence (states)! Just a major waste of money.

2. Perfectly legal for owner to ship to themselves ANYWHERE in the USA via "common carrier" (UPS/FedEx). Less costly than dealing with 2 FFLs, NICS checks, etc. [UPS and FedEx do rape you for air shipment on handguns so their folks have less time to steal them . . . that's their rule, not law. Long guns can go USPO or ground via UPS or FedEx.]

3. Driving them to the new home. Perfectly legal under FOPA.

No need to make a bigger deal of it than it is.

NOTE: Fed Law prohibits shipping handguns via USPO unless the shipper and recipient are both Dealers or Mfrs (C&R FFLs are "no go").

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    This is covered by the transportation clause of FOPA: if you can legally possess the gun at both origin and destination, simply lock the guns in the trunk separate from the ammo and you are good to go. Obviously, she can legally own the guns in NY, and it seems there is no problem with OK, so no problem.
    What he said. Presumably the guns are legally possessed in NY, so as long as they will be legal to own in OK, she should be fine if they are locked up separately from the ammo, and moved along with the rest of her stuff. I had no problem moving from WI to Berkeley, CA that way & I've gotta assume that OK is not going to be more restrictive than Berkeley!
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links