Undercover LEO vs. permit holder shooting UPDATE

This is a discussion on Undercover LEO vs. permit holder shooting UPDATE within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Original thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=treptow I've been watching this story from the beginning, since it took place not far from where I live. The case just went ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Undercover LEO vs. permit holder shooting UPDATE

Original thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=treptow

I've been watching this story from the beginning, since it took place not far from where I live. The case just went to the grand jury last week, and apparently both the permit holder and the undercover officer were charged with felonies (the permit holder was charged with three).

http://www.twincities.com/ci_7770846...nclick_check=1

http://www.twincities.com//ci_776521...twincities.com

What a mess.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Sounds like something isn't right with this.

Doesn't sound like there are going to be any winners here...

Wouldn't it have been so much easier to either ignore, drive away, give an apology sign ("Sorry, my fault!")?

Stay armed...be smart...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Sounds like something isn't right with this.
    Correct.

Below as stated in the court record is what's not right...

What is known is that a horn-honking shouting match broke out between the Treptows and Beard on a summer afternoon near a Coon Rapids strip mall. Treptow, who has a permit to carry a handgun, eventually pulled out his weapon and fired from the driver's seat, over his wife and into Beard's car, hitting Beard in the leg.
    Cause and effect.

Cause = "...horn-honking shouting match broke out between the Treptows and Beard..."
    Effect = "...Treptow, who has a permit to carry a handgun, eventually pulled out his weapon and fired from the driver's seat, over his wife..."

As a CCW Treptow should have _known_ to not involve himself in petty chest thumping matches with stupid/crazy acting people.
    Let it go.......!
    Further he had his wife and children in the car too!!

Yes he didn't know that Beard was the po-po, who himself most definitely should have known better as well. For all he knew Beard was psycho murderer of the week. He had no idea who that guy in the other car swapping horn honks and sign language with him was.
    Let it go.

I bet he wishes now that he'd done just that.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sounds to me like Mr. Treptow is an immature moron who has no business having a CCW permit.

It further sounds like Mr. Beard is an immature moron who has no business having a badge and a gun.

Sounds like two immature morons found each other and the result is neither will have a gun (a good thing for all of us) and, thank God, no innocent bystanders were hurt.

I think the outcome was as good as it could be.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Sounds to me like Mr. Treptow is an immature moron who has no business having a CCW permit.

It further sounds like Mr. Beard is an immature moron who has no business having a badge and a gun.

Sounds like two immature morons found each other and the result is neither will have a gun (a good thing for all of us) and, thank God, no innocent bystanders were hurt.

+10
    If death is what we fear, our freedoms were never realized.

Administrator

I'm with Mike too. I am an "undercover" LEO and understand first hand how tempting it is to be a first rate center of the backside, it takes a strong will to avoid becoming one of the dirtballs you're now hanging out with.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just knowing that I am carrying would not allow me to get caught up in a situation unless my life were in danger.
    I'm sure there were times when some of us was cut off and maybe could have started something but we know it's just not worth it.
    I'm not talking about the LEO pulling the gun but the initial conflict which lead up to the weapon being drawn.
    It was drilled in my tiny brain 40 years ago, when I was involved with self defense classes, to remain calm & avoid a confrontation at all costs.
    I think some people do not have the right attitude or mental fortitude to carry.
    Both of them deserve to share the blame.

We can all take a lesson from this

We live in a stressful world, and things are not going to get any easier in the years go come. As others have stated, I was taught in martial arts classes long ago, to put your petty anger aside, and move on, walk off, drive off…

Road rage is an ever growing problem, and I’ve witness drivers demonstrating aggressive driving pattern, that includes horn blowing, tail gating, and swerving between lanes. And for the most part, I just do my best to get out of there way, unless their driving an 18-wheeler… Then I call the FHP (Florida Highway Patrol) and report there tag and location information. The reason I report them is Florida is having an increasing numbers 18-wheeler involved accidents, and it never works out to well, for the people in cars, much less motorcyclist.

Very well said!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    Original thread: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...hlight=treptow

I've been watching this story from the beginning, since it took place not far from where I live. The case just went to the grand jury last week, and apparently both the permit holder and the undercover officer were charged with felonies (the permit holder was charged with three).

http://www.twincities.com/ci_7770846...nclick_check=1

http://www.twincities.com//ci_776521...twincities.com

What a mess.
    Thanks for following the story and the update...

Rick

The MN carry forums have covered this a ton. What you don't know is Beard pulled up on the shoulder next to their SUV and pulled his gun and pointed at Mrs T. and yelled "I'm going to shoot you M.F.!" The quote was from an eye witness not the Treptows.

So if some "guy" (note: he (Beard) did not notify or show his badge) points a gun at me and my wife while I'm blocked in on 4 sides then I will be shooting period.

By the way, Treptow owns his own security company so I would say he knows how to handle a gun.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    The MN carry forums have covered this a ton. What you don't know is Beard pulled up on the shoulder next to their SUV and pulled his gun and pointed at Mrs T. and yelled "I'm going to shoot you M.F.!" The quote was from an eye witness not the Treptows.

So if some "guy" (note: he (Beard) did not notify or show his badge) points a gun at me and my wife while I'm blocked in on 4 sides then I will be shooting period.

By the way, Treptow owns his own security company so I would say he knows how to handle a gun.

So why is Treptow being charged with anything? Seems like a clear case of self-defense if this is true.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    So why is Treptow being charged with anything? Seems like a clear case of self-defense if this is true.
    I have no idea and I'm just guessing on this one, but it seems as if Treptow started shooting with no clear and sure threat. He still had a number of options and choose to fire his gun. Right or wrong as it may be, thats probably what the jury is looking at.

With that said, it does sound like ego got the best of the both of them.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    Just knowing that I am carrying would not allow me to get caught up in a situation unless my life were in danger.
    I'm sure there were times when some of us was cut off and maybe could have started something but we know it's just not worth it.
    I'm not talking about the LEO pulling the gun but the initial conflict which lead up to the weapon being drawn.
    It was drilled in my tiny brain 40 years ago, when I was involved with self defense classes, to remain calm & avoid a confrontation at all costs.
    I think some people do not have the right attitude or mental fortitude to carry.
    Both of them deserve to share the blame.
    Wait, you're saying I can't just shoot them? Darn...grumble, grumble....

In the South, we have a saying, "Some people just need killing."
    I guess another time-honored principle bites the dust.
    (And, yes, I am kidding, in case anyone starts to wonder...mostly kidding.)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links