Concealed Carry while travelling through different states

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry while travelling through different states within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be driving from Michigan to Texas in early January. All the states I will be passing through honor my Michigan permit. I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry while travelling through different states

I will be driving from Michigan to Texas in early January. All the states I will be passing through honor my Michigan permit. I was taught in my class to query the Attorney General's offices for any up-to-date changes in their carry laws before passing through a different state. In your opinions, is there anything else I should be checking on? Heck, I'm so new to carrying in my own state that I haven't even done the Wally World Tactical Map yet! But, it IS on the list (waiting for that ubgholster to come in the mail.)

Appreciate your help.

Michael
    In a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but default to your level of training.

Once you check with the AG's office they will give you most of the info you need. Though I would also check places that are off limit to carry, each state is different.

Senior Moderator
    The biggest thing that you have to watch out for is that some states allow concealed carry in places that serve alcohol and some don't. For those that don't, that puts a lot of good eating places off limits. Also, some places that sell beer or wine...like the local 7-11 or PDQ might be off limits also, so you'll need to be aware of that if you must pay for your gas inside.

Also...some require notification if stopped and some don't. Not notifying an officer that you are carrying concealed is grounds for revocation of your permit in some states...so be aware of that too.

If many states, if you are found guilty of a weapons related event in any state, that is grounds for revocation of your permit...even if it happened in another state. Its important to know the local laws of the state that you are traveling in...because if something happens, the Judge will tell you that "ignorance of the law is NO excuse"...something we've all heard before.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The others pretty much covered it...BTW...I'm a truck driver, I carry all over the country...just do your research from state to state often enough to keep up with the changes (and they happen often) and you will be fine.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You are required to follow the laws of the state you are in. Like the others said, research their laws.

Don't know which way you are coming but dodge the western route through Indiana and Illinois (1st route that pops up on my map program). They don't like anyone with a gun in the Peoples Republic of Illinois.

Check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for links to rules in all states.

Check out www.mapquest.com or similar to check out your route.

Appreciate all your responses. Yes, I know I'm responsible for knowing the laws in the states I will be travelling in. That's why I wrote the AG's offices in each state. I think I will be safe if I just keep it in the car in it's case. Didn't even consider bringing it in to a restaurant along the Interstates. Usually just hit the McDonald's along the route for food and reststops Don't usually shut the car off as only one goes in at a time. Don't even foresee needing to take it with me, but I also feel the safest place for my gun is within my site or locked in my safe.

Again, thanks for the help. I will continue to search and learn.

Michael
    In a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but default to your level of training.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The only state that should be a problem is Illinois. Stay out of the Peoples Republic and you should be good to go!

I'll have the same dilema, I am going to San Antonio in the spring, but Illinois is in my way..... I still deciding if I want to go around. Hey, maybe they'll change the law in Illinois before I go. Don't worry, I won't hold my breath. Smoke em if you got em.

Does IL have peacable journey laws?

I am now semi-retired and we travel in a Class A motorhome towing a Harley a bunch. When we leave I always bring along two firearms.

Glock 17 and a pocket pistol

The Glock stays in an upper cabinet and is only brought out and laid on the counter when we go to bed. When I get out of the motor coach for fuel, etc. I simply put the pocket pistol in my pocket. No one will ever know it’s there, and as such, I am not real concerned with what that particular states law is.

Before traveling I always check out http://www.handgunlaw.us/ and if a state does not accept Florida CCL, while we may be forced to travel through it, we don’t stay there, and for the most part, those states are somewhat small, and we won’t even stop there for fuel.

The way I see it is if they are an anti-gun state I don’t want to spend any of my money there.

This thread is a perfect example of why we need national "CCW" legislation regarding reciprocity, travel, etc. With all the various quirks in each state's statutes/regulations, let alone constant changes/updates, let alone municipalities sticking their face into this, it's just way too easy to make an honest mistake that can end up as a life-changing experience.
    I know that there are organizations that are trying to push for this.........it IS seriously needed! Godspeed to them!!!

Note the requirements to notify police you are carrying and prohibited places. Otherwise, have a safe trip.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Illinois allows carry in the truck, cased, unloaded and ammo separate. It's a little calmer to cross the state well south of Cook County - southern Illinois is actually somewhat gun friendly, but they don't have enough votes to overcome richie daley and his ilk. Be careful if carrying high cap mags, though. Illinois is one (just recently I think) that returned to 10 round mag limits. I don't know about any of the other states (I'm a revolver fan), but it's something to be aware of. If I go west, I try to avoid IL altogether.

Just stay out of Illinois.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links