Gun Permit Requests Dampen Agency's Powder

This is a discussion on Gun Permit Requests Dampen Agency's Powder within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec...er/?news-metro The Tampa Tribune News Channel 8 Published: December 21, 2007 TAMPA - A skyrocketing number of applications for concealed weapons licenses has hindered the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun Permit Requests Dampen Agency's Powder

Gun Permit Requests Dampen Agency's Powder

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/dec...er/?news-metro

The Tampa Tribune News Channel 8

Published: December 21, 2007

TAMPA - A skyrocketing number of applications for concealed weapons licenses has hindered the state agency that screens people for the documents from, at times, suspending or revoking the permits in a timely manner, according to a state audit released this week.

The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services says the number of applications for the licenses has risen 30 percent to 50 percent since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, but the agency's staff has not increased in pace with the "incredible workload," agency spokesman Terence McElroy said.

2. Remove Ads

It's been over 5 years, and now it's become an issue??? I would think that it is the mass random shootings that have motivated the requests.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lets see... they get more money due to the additional permit requests and they don't add more people to help...

I guess the state is to greedy!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I don't understand this.
    I just heard of a guy getting a non-res permit in 2 weeks using paper prints.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

They pulled the same stunt in MN - the anti's were crying that permit applications were bankrupting the city / county ...

Permit holders are too few to matter as a voting block, but so many that the sheer volume of applications is beyond the state's ability. They switch their arguments over whether we are few or many faster than John Kerry can switch arguements on Iraq.

Upon examination - you may see anomolies in their accounting - for instance - overinflated copier costs, staff billing that would suggest dedicated personnel et all - what is really happening is the offices in which permits are handled begin to charge their general operations to permit processing, which provides the state with the pretense it needs.

IMHO permit handling should be done at the same place where you get your boat / snowmobile / car / whatever permits - it would save a lot of money and would allow the state to turn a significant profit on those $ 100.00 permit application fees.

Remove the red tape, cut expenses: Vermont carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    It's been over 5 years, and now it's become an issue??? I would think that it is the mass random shootings that have motivated the requests.
    snowball effect
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

dom
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I don't understand this.
    I just heard of a guy getting a non-res permit in 2 weeks using paper prints.

AFS
    Yup, ~25 days door to door for my FL permit. Looks like it took them 10 days to process based on postmarks and delivery confirmation, and I sent paper prints.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Sounds like quite the mess.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like quite the mess
    I think that is the case ever where. By law, here, they have 120 to process the permit. Lately its been running right at the limit. We've been seeing an increase in our class size for the last year...in fact I posted a thread on it.

I've got another class coming up Jan 19th...and its already almost full. Usually it wont fill up till the last day or so, but everyone seems to be getting a jump on this one. I have a couple of people tell me that their local class are already full so they are traveling a pretty good ways to take ours.

People are finally realizing that the world really is getting crazier by the day.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Are there more permit holders than drivers? They seem to be able to issue driver's licenses and tags at a high rate. They still have all kinds of checks, emmisions test to process, and may other considerations.

Senior Moderator
    Are there more permit holders than drivers? They seem to be able to issue driver's licenses and tags at a high rate. They still have all kinds of checks, emmisions test to process, and may other considerations.
    Thats true...but they have the infrastructure to support it.

In most states the Concealed weapons proccess isnt near as structured. Here in Arkansas there are two full time woman and they recently hired a part timer due to the work load. These woman are talking care of evey single permit that comes through the state. Needless to say, there is quite a backlog. All you have to do to understand is walk into their office. There are stacks of applications everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

well that is true but how much do they make to get a license compared to how much they make to process a handgun permit. excuses and lies.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Drivers Licenses and Tags are done by the county tax collector.
    All CCW applications have to go one place. to Charles Bronson.
    Kind of a bottle neck.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Sounds like the money collected isn't being spent as it should.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links