Very Interesting School Christmas Party...

This is a discussion on Very Interesting School Christmas Party... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something I just experienced made me think about how unaware most people (including myself sometimes) are. I was just at my school's "Holiday" party (only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something I just experienced made me think about how unaware most people (including myself sometimes) are. I was just at my school's "Holiday" party (only 4 days until "Holiday"). As folks were coming in, I saw another staff member who I suddenly realized ALWAYS wears a fanny pack. As she is also a karate instructor, it hit me; She carries! As she's a friend I asked her about it privately and she confirmed she does, but never on school property.

Later as I was talking to another teacher in my group and her husband, he mentioned that he was from Omaha. His sisters works right next door to where the shootings took place and it was only by the grace of God that she was late to work that day. I made an offhanded comment about gun free zones and next thing I know, he's telling me that both he and his wife (the teacher) have their CCWs! Now we have new shooting buddies.

So, just learned of 2 people that I thought I new somewhat well that also carry! I just had to share that.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Well that should have made your night!!!
    I have had some of those pleasant surprises about people/friends who CCW.
    Just be very careful who you tell...sometimes people not knowing is better in the long run.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I don't understand why people hide the fact they carry.
    It's not like you're a pedophile.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post

AFS
    Ya, I don't advertise it....but I really do not care who knows
    Zippo9
    USAF Retired

That's really cool, I'm sure that made your night!

I don't advertise vocally about carrying, because rooms have ears; ears other than the person you're telling, ears that like to yak and might tell others that you don't want to know you're carrying. Sometimes burglaries occur when people overhear that someone keeps guns in their home. They wait until you're out and take advantage. I live in an apartment and there are neighbors in the complex that I certainly don't want knowing I have firearms in my home. That's the same reason I will never put pro gun stickers on my car. I don't put any stickers of any kind on my car.

Cool

Much like Zippo9 said, I don't care who knows (friends), but I don't advertise, either.
    One reason to be discreet is the old "You've got a gun - Do something!!" scenario which makes you the immediate target if/when TSHTF. (Whether the stories are true or apocryphal doesn't matter.) Also, even though we may not care much about the feelings of the sheep around us it is easier to deal -socially or professionally - with people that don't "quake, shivver and withdraw" from us. It may be amusing, but it's counterproductive in the long run.
    That said, all my friends know that I am licensed and do carry. Few have ever seen me that I wasn't carrying, and they know it. I wait until a person is comfortable with me as a friend, and even then don't bother to mention it until/unless the subject of personal safety enters the conversation. Although it surprises some to find out, since we're already friends at that point and their opinions are largely made, it not only doesn't drive them away but makes them realize that you don't have to be a paranoid, starched, fanatic just because you're licensed and loaded. I've been told by at least 5 or 6 people that I influenced their decision to get a gun, a permit, or both.
    Arming my city one hand at a time!

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

I was really surprised how common CC is here in FL, prior to looking into it I had no idea. I've talked about guns with a good amount of friends since then, and a lot of times they do in fact carry. You can never have too many shooting buddies!

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Nigma View Post
    I live in an apartment and there are neighbors in the complex that I certainly don't want knowing I have firearms in my home. That's the same reason I will never put pro gun stickers on my car. I don't put any stickers of any kind on my car.
    I'm the same way with my apartment and truck, but leave it up to my roommate's girlfriend to ruin that. I was walking out the door to head to the range one day, and she yells "You have a gun!?!?! Let me see it!" At this same time my new neighbors who I had yet to meet across the hall were unlocking their door heard her yelling. They ran inside their apartment faster than I could even turn around and say anything to them. We have lovely paper thin walls, so who knows how many others in the building heard it. I've never been on good terms with her(roommate's gf), but this really sealed the deal for me. I would offer to take her to the range, but I don't think she should legally be able to possess a firearm. Her behavior is childish to say the least, and apparently suffers from severe depression and mood swings. I have invested a fair amount of money in order to make sure she will have a very hard time gaining access to mine.

I work in a school in Central Florida! I've mentioned this before...our little rural high school is a great place to work...people still acknowledge Jesus, and, they all have guns.

The Jesus told Peter (I think...) to get a sword, but today I believe he would have advised a Kimber Ultra....

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Was at a Christmas party last nite,(note: NOT Holiday party) and no one there knew I was armed. Maybe a couple of them could handle it but I think a few of my close friends that were there would be the "Oh good, you got your gun, DO SOMETHING!" types..Many of them know I have a permit but they never know when I am packing. It's really none of their business. If the , then they will know if I am armed or not.

love it when that happens!

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue

AFS
    True, but for some anti-gunners its worse.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Moderator

AFS
    I don't tell very many people (just 3 actually) that I carry.

A buddy of mine, who is a LEO, was off duty with some friends when something went down. One of the friends loudly says "you have a gun do something".

I like to think the people I hang out with are not idiots, but I'd prefer not to have something like that happen and prove me wrong.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member
    Personally, I like Thumper's motto, "Always Carry, Never Tell!" That made a real impact on me. When I first got my CCW I told a dozen folks all excited. I regret that. People are quick to make judgments, mostly wrong. I made the mistake last summer of telling a clerk at a big box hardware store I carried (part of a discussion on mall shootings). A week later I was there and asked a total stranger (another clerk) a question. He says, "Oh, you're the chaplain that packs a 45!" (no, a 9mm). I don't go there very often anymore.

VIP Member
    Thanks aznav!

Seriously, it was a lesson learned the hard way.

Once that information is "out there" you can not get it back and you can not control what others do with it!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry, so what!

Carry like you are never going to have need for anyone else to know.
    I like the idea that those who need to know that I'm armed, will find out in a way they will never forget!
    MAY YOUR TRIGGER FINGER
    NEVER LOSE ITS MAGIC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links