Is more and more of America waking up?

This is a discussion on Is more and more of America waking up? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I browse through the news articles, and forums I see more frequent articles about how gun free zones don't deter psychopaths from going on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

As I browse through the news articles, and forums I see more frequent articles about how gun free zones don't deter psychopaths from going on shooting sprees. I often see polls regarding the use of guns in self defense, and gun free zones being more in favor of less gun control, and allowing citizens the right to bear arms. I know there will always be gun grabbers, but it almost seems like more Americans are finally waking up and realizing that the government and the police can't always be there to protect them. Even the media has started to see the light on rare occasions.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    I dont put much weight in the net polls at all.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Bad guys are not stopped by 'no guns signs'.

If that were the case, there would be no bank robberies.

It only stops legal gun owners, and creates an area where no one can fight back.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Here are some real polls. We are still clearly in the minority.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Does anybody with an ounce of brain matter think is a sign is going to deter anybody??
    You had better be willing to defend yourself.
    And lot's of people are starting to fugure it out.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

They always seem to wake up after it's too late !!!! Realizing no matter how many gun laws are passed , the BG will always have a gun and not abide by the law . While citzens will abide by the law leaving them helpless to do anything to help or intervene due to gun free zones and such .

All of the polls listed at that site with the possible exception of the Fox poll are filled with die hard liberals. And even a small percentage of them are beginning to swing our way. I think America is slowly waking up, and when the next attack on US soil occurs (and there's no doubt it will) the gun issue will eventually become a moot point as a result of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Nigma View Post
    All of the polls listed at that site with the possible exception of the Fox poll are filled with die hard liberals.
    Polling is a statistical problem. It has nothing to do with the perceived or real bias of the polling organizations. CNN, for example, does not poll its reporters and management. The science of polling requires a random sampling of the population. All polling organizations attempt exactly that but it is not easy since there are so many variables. Still, it is truly remarkable (and mathematically correct) that polling less than 1000 people results in an accurate assessment of a population of over 300 million.

Gallup is one of the most respected polling organizations because of the careful techniques used to ensure they are selecting random samples from the larger population. I believe they have their polling methodology posted on their web site. If you are mathematically inclined there are some very good texts on the subject. Most statistics books have chapters on random sampling and confidence intervals. It is a good place to start.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Some very interesting points here. I somewhat feel that maybe we're winning the long and exhausting fight to be able to protect ourselves. We have come a long way since FL put right to carry laws in their books in 1987 IIRC, and now 38 other states have adopted right to carry laws. Since the VA Tech tragedy, and the more recent Westroads Mall shooting in Omaha Nebraska, people are starting to realize that maybe its time they take responsibility for their own safety. I feel very fortunate to be living in one of the shall issue or should I say "free" states, that allows me to exercise a right gauranteed by the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution. Unfortunately, there will always be those work purely on emotion, and don't want anything to do with guns, and not be around those who own them, and especially don't want anyone carrying them.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Statistics can be skewed any way you choose them to be; thus being the selection and format of the way the questions are posed. I could take those same questions, reform the format, and come up with a statistically different outcome. I also know many people lie on polls, including yours truly. Just the way it is.
    Take "assault weapons" for instance. So many believe that a "semi" and "automatic" are in fact, the same. With a little education of the arm, most will then see the facts in a different light. The media in this country does a great dis-service to the citizens by adding commentary to it's so called reporting of stories. You also today are only allowed a very skewed scope of reporting, as no one does their own stories anymore; they are just grabbed off the lines like Reuters and Associated Press. Sad state of affairs.
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

VIP Member
    The online polls skew so hard in our favor because just about every one of them is posted on multiple shooting/gun forums. So, we all go vote like good little soldiers. The active shooters outnumber the rabid anti-gun people. But, neither represent the vast number of people in the middle- and those people in the middle aren't voting in all of those polls. (It is much like the Ron Paul candidacy- online representation makes it appear there is more support than is actually there.)

I do think we're making progress. People are beginning to see the stupidity of believing a sign can keep you safe. I have seen a few of the signs come down in the last couple of months- but there aren't that many around here anyway. As it is now, the only places I know of that are posted in my home town are a chain of convenience stores.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Here are some real polls. We are still clearly in the minority.

http://www.pollingreport.com/guns.htm
    I read through those polls. What struck me was that an overwhelming majority (up to 95%) had opinions on questions that most people know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about. The most blatant one being:

"Which of the following do you think is the primary cause of gun violence in America: the availability of guns, the way parents raise their children, or the influence of popular culture such as movies, television, and the Internet?"

93% of those polled answered this question with some response other than "unsure" or "other." Has 93% of the population carefully studied the complex issue of the ultimate causes of violence? It seems that those that answered "unsure" or "other" are more likely the ones who actually HAVE studied this issue.

I'm going to try really hard not to have an opinion on a subject that I know absolutely nothing about, at least until I can get educated on it. Of course, it everyone actually did that, America would look much different than it does.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Quote Originally Posted by blueridge View Post
    Bad guys are not stopped by 'no guns signs'.
    If that were the case, there would be no bank robberies.
    .. i have yet to see a no gun sign on a bank

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Ditto.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by mocarryguy View Post
    Statistics can be skewed any way you choose them to be; thus being the selection and format of the way the questions are posed. I could take those same questions, reform the format, and come up with a statistically different outcome.
    Statistics cannot be skewed. However, interpretations of results and their reporting can be biased. Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deal with probability distributions, random variables, independence, inference and decision theory.

You are correct that questions can certainly distort the outcome, yet they accurately reflect the response to the question posed.

I also know many people lie on polls, including yours truly.
    The fact that you or your aquaintences enjoy lying is really insignificant in a statistical sense. Just curious, but does it make you feel good when you 'fool' a pollster? By the way, you have a better chance of being in a serious auto accident than your response being chosen in a legitimate poll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links