Hopefully just a hypothetical question… - Page 3

Hopefully just a hypothetical question…

This is a discussion on Hopefully just a hypothetical question… within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you were solo and became incapacitated, you would have no choice. I don't know, but would hope that medical technicians would have protocol for ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    If you were solo and became incapacitated, you would have no choice. I don't know, but would hope that medical technicians would have protocol for the weapon of an armed patient.

Edit: Taking care of yourself, medicating, and eating correct usually makes diabetes a non issue. I'm not a diabetic, but it runs in the family and I have a very high chance. My grandmother's was never an issue after it was found because she cared for herself. My aunt's is dangerous because she fails to. Best wishes.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Two years ago I was involved in a bad motorcycle accident. I was knocked out at the scene. In Arizona, your CCW is linked to your driver's license. I was not carrying, and did not have a holster on. The first question the investigating officer asked me at the hospital was where my weapon was. They had been searching the area of the wreck looking for it! When I came out of my hospital drug-induced state, I assured him that I wasn't carrying at the time. He asked me WHY! Gotta love Arizona.

Speaking from experience as a Fire Dept. Captain who has medically treated fellow CCW persons conscious and unconscious, it has not been a problem. If the CCW patient was conscious and they identified themselves as having CCW, then we’d request them to make the weapon safe if they were able to do so. If not, we would ask to do it for them.

If it didn’t interfere with treatment, the weapon stayed with them all the way to the hospital where it would be turned into Hospital Security. If the weapon was to interfere with treatment (e.g. defibulator), then it was bagged and taken to the hospital with the patient. I’ve also seen PD/LEO take custody of it if they were on scene with us.

If the CCW patient was unconscious and the weapon was found during treatment (e.g. car accident), then the Fire Captain would secure the weapon until PD/LEOs arrived to take custody. After the patient got out of the hospital they would be able to retrieve if from Hospital Security or PD property room.

Like I said, it hasn’t been a problem. You might be surprised at how many Firefighters and Medics are CCW permit holders on their days off.

Be safe.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats what I was going to say. Dont worry about the gun thing right now, make sure that everything is working OK first. It might not be anything to worry about, but its nothing to leave to chance.
    We just had a tech at work who had a stoke. He probably we never be back to work....

I have a freind at work who has high blood prssure, I remind him there is things worse than dieing..... Like your brain knowing what is going on, and your body refusing to do anything but lay in bed like a vegetable........
    1942 M3 Autocar Half-track...M3A1 Diamond T Half-track...57mm Anti-Tank Cannon

NRA Endowment Member...President West TN Military Vehicle Collectors...MVPA Member

I am Type II diabetic and my daughter is Type I so I have some experience in this. 363 is not slightly elevated. 200 is elevated, 363 is close to fatal. Given that you said that recently you gained 50 pounds and had quit taking your cholestrol medicine, it means you are a walking time bomb. Do what your doctor says if you want to continue carrying. Good luck. I am taking two cholestrol drugs, one for blood pressure and one for diabeties and all are under control. Behave yourself and don't get in that shape again. We would hate to lose a member.

I have a good friend who is type 1 diabetic. I reintroduced him to golf and some exercise afater a 20 year layoff and he has droped his insulin need level 4 points and feels like a new man.
    As for your handgun, you wife would not be inviolation if she secured you weapon and unloaded it. You could retain the clip or she could strip it an put it in her purse. None of these actions would take more than a few seconds.
    Don't forget though, first prority would be to get help on the way.

Thanks to all for your concern. If the medicine does not kill me first I might get this under control, when I tested this morning I was down from 363 to 245 so that is going in the right direction, but I was so sick last night and this morning that I had to miss work, I think it is the medicine working its way through my system. I go back to the Doctor Monday so I will see where I am at then. Once more thanks for all of the advice!

Bear
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Interesting post...
    First of all, hope you start feeling better.
    As for your question, I think either option would be acceptable. Either your wife could take it, or retain it...I believe common sense would actually win in this situation(however uncommon it is for common sense to be common). But as an aside, you may want to check with your local laws. In a lot of states, taking prescription or over the counter medication that has the ability to incapacitate you(maybe I am reading to much into your reaction with the medicine) may make it illegal for you to carry a firearm on your person...

Anyway, get well soon, and Happy New Year...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    Thanks to all for your concern. If the medicine does not kill me first I might get this under control, when I tested this morning I was down from 363 to 245 so that is going in the right direction, but I was so sick last night and this morning that I had to miss work, I think it is the medicine working its way through my system. I go back to the Doctor Monday so I will see where I am at then. Once more thanks for all of the advice!

Bear
    I've been type II for a year now. Most of the medicines will make you sick to your stomach at first. Hang in there, it will get better. My sugar level is very stable now, and I can even have those "sugary sweets" occasionally. It's really not as bad as you think. PM me if you have any questions.

Take Care of yourself.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I thought I would post an update…

Over the course of the last month I have had to make some drastic changes in my lifestyle and habits but it seems to be working.

I have strictly adhered to my diet and medication plan and I have gotten off my butt and started walking during my lunch hour. I am up to about 20 to 25 miles a week at about 3MPH. I know it is not that great, but I am a beginner. I have lost almost 20 pounds in the last 6 weeks so I have more energy.

When I was diagnosed on December 31st my blood sugar was 363, when I tested this morning I was under 100 for the very first time! A solid 99! My last seven day average is 107. This is quite an improvement for me.

I want to thank all of you that offered concern and advice, this is not near as bad as I thought it would be, thanks again!
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrvoy View Post
    I am up to about 20 to 25 miles a week...
    ...and at this point, we don't know WHERE the he** he is!
    *ba-dum-bum!* Sorry. Old joke.
    Anyway, good for you, Scrvoy. I'm trying to be a bit more disciplined lately and your story adds to the motivation. Keep it up!
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOFD92 View Post
    Like I said, it hasn’t been a problem. You might be surprised at how many Firefighters and Medics are CCW permit holders on their days off.

Be safe.
    So, when you're on duty you're not a CCW permit holder? CCW carrier I can understand, but you're a permit holder 24/7 unless it expires.

Keep up the exercising and diet and you'll be just fine. Congrats on the exercise program.

Scrvoy, you are doing great, don't give in. It is worth it in the long run.
    I have a buddy who is serious type II and he started playing golf with me. His blood sugar dropped dramaticly and he has been able to reduce his insulin intake. He reminds me now we need to get out there. We play every week and he thanks me for saving his life.
    You and your wife have every reason to fight this one out. Keep at it.

Originally posted by arsaks4ever
    So, when you're on duty you're not a CCW permit holder? CCW carrier I can understand, but you're a permit holder 24/7 unless it expires.
    Yes I meant to say carrier. Of course your a permit holder 24/7. I just meant we can't carry while on duty (City policy) and most carry off duty. Thanks for the catch.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links