Hopefully just a hypothetical question…

This is a discussion on Hopefully just a hypothetical question… within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The other night I was doing the Wal-Mart thing with my wife, my G19 tucked safely under my arm, when all of the sudden I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully just a hypothetical question…

Question Hopefully just a hypothetical question…

The other night I was doing the Wal-Mart thing with my wife, my G19 tucked safely under my arm, when all of the sudden I started feeling weak and dizzy and thought I could pass out for a minute or two. It passed and I was all right, but it made me stop and think.

So far my wife does not have her CWP, she plans on getting one but has not “found” the time yet. My question therefore is, if I had passed out and an ambulance was needed, should she have taken the Glock and put it purse, or should she have left it for the paramedics to find and possibly freak over?

As I said I hope that we never have to be faced with this but I am wondering what the best thing I can tell her to do before it becomes a situation. Remember that it would be at least 90 days before she gets her CWP if she applied this week, so for the time being that is not a viable option.

Thanks for your opinions, and a very Merry Christmas to all of you!

Bear
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I would have told her to get it and secure it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I would have her take it and secure it also. It is a risk for everyone if the paramedics expose it when they arrive.

She'd be breaking the law if she took it. Most likely nothing would come of it, but if LE showed up and asked about the empty holster, she'd be incriminating herself is she said she took it. To be perfectly legal, you could wait for LE to show up (as they often do on medical runs, in many communities) then ask them if she can lock it up in the trunk. If she doesn't know how to empty and safe the weapon, she should ask them to. You shouldn't be handling it if you're feeling off.

Now, go see your doctor about your episode, especially if it's happened more than once recently. Could be dehydration or sugar-related. Or it could be a sign of heart trouble .(seriously) I don't know aything about your history or even age, but those are the big warning bells that go off in this former EMTs' brain.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Now, go see your doctor about your episode, especially if it's happened more than once recently. Could be dehydration or sugar-related. Or it could be a sign of heart trouble .(seriously) I don't know aything about your history or even age, but those are the big warning bells that go off in this former EMTs' brain.
    Thats what I was going to say. Dont worry about the gun thing right now, make sure that everything is working OK first. It might not be anything to worry about, but its nothing to leave to chance.
    "Just blame Sixto"

+ 1 With cupcake.. Get your butt to a doctor.

On the "what to do" question there is no certain answer. I have read in other forums that some EMT's and even some hospitals are experienced with such scenarios and will simply give the weapon to the hospital security to keep it for you. BUT, that's not everyone and who knows. Same with a LEO who shows up. He will probably be a good guy and empties it and lets your wife put it in the trunk, or he could be a by the book jerk.

Your call!

VIP Member
    I've posted this before but several years ago I was in a roll-over accident and rendered unconscious. Yes, I was carrying too.

Apparently the medics discovered my weapon and secured it. When they got me to emergency, they surrendered the weapon to Hospital Security.

When I checked out of the hospital I stopped by the Hospital Security Office and signed for receipt of my weapon. It was unloaded and in a plastic zip lock bag. No problems at all.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    +1 on the "butt to the doctor".

You might also make a batch of cookies and take them to the local PD/ambulance company/fire station and ask them how they would like for you to handle such a situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I've posted this before but several years ago I was in a roll-over accident and rendered unconscious. Yes, I was carrying too.

Apparently the medics discovered my weapon and secured it. When they got me to emergency, they surrendered the weapon to Hospital Security.

When I checked out of the hospital I stopped by the Hospital Security Office and signed for receipt of my weapon. It was unloaded and in a plastic zip lock bag. No problems at all.
    Similar experience, I was in a near-fatal (to me and only me) head-on collision which knocked me and most of my teeth out.. The hospital gave my carry piece, ammo, and still bloodstained-to-this-day holster back to my (non-ccw) mother and/or brother in a ziplock back with no questions asked. If you live in a state where common sense is still somewhat common, your non-ccw relative taking custody of your weapon during temporary incapacitation shouldn't be an issue.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Thats what I was going to say. Dont worry about the gun thing right now, make sure that everything is working OK first. It might not be anything to worry about, but its nothing to leave to chance.
    Go get it checked out..QUICK
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

As said before see a Dr to give yourself peace of mind. On the gun issue: I am an LEO and have some common sense. If I arrive at an aided case and discover that a non permit holder has possession of her ill husbands handgun, I wouldn't give it a second thought. I would ask her if she would like me to secure it for her and wish her well.

I cannot think of anyone I have worked with who would collar someone in a situation like this. Although, I'm sure that they are out there.

Hopefully your episode will be nothing to worry about, Merry Christmas.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    I would definitely want my wife to secure my ccw, if a leo or someone saw the empty holster, just tell him that the weapon has been secured for safe-keeping, and tell him where it is if necessary. If the wife is uncomfortable handling the loaded gun, she can ask the leo to unload it for her, I'm sure he'll oblige. My answer may be "technically" wrong but "common sense" correct. This is an important issue where common sense trumps the letter of the law........secure the gun.

I hope your medical issues turn out okay.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Scrvoy....update us all on what the 'light-headeness-dizzy-spell' turned out to be.....soon (hint hint).
    Take Care and ensure your wife knows how to secure and unload that Glock SAFELY. Removeing it in the middle of Wally-World might not be the best place to 'expose' your sidearm....but some time it might be necessary.
    Most LEO's and medics would secure it for you though me thinks
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member
    Yuppers....I got my carry piece back after a heart attack,it was no big deal...nobody freaked out at the site of a gun,every one was real professional and just focused on there jobs...one of the ER nurses just rolled up my pants and put the holster and my piece in a bag ,which made it to the room I was put in then eventually home....no biggy,the heart attack was a different matter though!

I would like to thank all who have taken time to respond and offer your advice. I also want to thank you for your concern and I am planning on going to the Dr. right after the New Year and getting a full physical. I think that I know what is wrong but I will let the professional decide for sure. I have always had some trouble with my bad cholesterol being off the charts and I have been off the meds for the last year or so plus gaining about 50 pounds.

As for the gun, my wife is comfortable enough with it to clear it and secure it and I would rather her have it that anyone else. I was just wondering what you fine people would think. I don’t post here often but I read almost everything posted.

Once more, thanks to all and a very Merry Christmas to everyone!

Bear
    Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag,Glock 17, Glock 19,Taurus 92 9mm,Llama .38, Taurus .38,Bersa Thunder .380,S&W Model 22A .22,Western Auto .22 ,NAA .22 Mag, Mini- Mini 14 .223,Mossberg 12 Gauge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links