Teaching the Young

This is a discussion on Teaching the Young within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a youth pastor and today I spent some time with one of our High School youth kids. But it was not what most ...

Thread: Teaching the Young

me [OP]

Teaching the Young

I am a youth pastor and today I spent some time with one of our High School youth kids. But it was not what most ministers get the chance to do with a student. Today I taught a 14/15 year old young man how to be a responsible gun owner. His Father passed on a few months ago and left him "everything but the bills" This includes a Rossi 38 and Raven 25 and a shotgun.

He asked me to teach him how to take care of them and how to shoot as his father had been sick for some time and was unable to teach him. He and I will be going to the range next week but today I had the opportunity to purchase for him a cleaning kit and teach him how to use it. I taught him pistol cleaning today and the Boy Scouts are teaching him Shotgun soon.

I was most impressed that he wants to be a responsible gun owner. He is a good kid and one you all would be proud of. I am glad I have had the opportunity to get to know him over the last 6 months since he has come to us.

It was a good day.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

2. Remove Ads

Good job. We had the youth group and our pastor out to my parents house a while back and taught them all how to shoot clays.

It was great fun and they all enjoyed it.

It's good to help kids understand that guns are not inherently bad and how to safely handle them. It's also good of you to help this young man who needs someone to learn from.

God bless.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    That is a most rewarding experience. I am in the process of teaching my Grandson about shooting and safety. I am glad you were their to help him on his journey.
    God Bless him and you for your dedication.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Exellent.
    The youth is where its at.
    A youth pastor once told me...

How can you change the future?
    One kid at a time..
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Good for you, me. What a tough time to lose one's dad (not that any time is a good time). I'd guess he's going to have a real void in his life, especially in the near future. Good for you for stepping in.

It's stories like this that make me realize how fortunate I have been.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Today I taught a 14/15 year old young man how to be a responsible gun owner.

He asked me to teach him how to take care of them and how to shoot ... I was most impressed that he wants to be a responsible gun owner.
    He should be proud of himself, to think so responsibly. I'm sure part of it is wanting to treat his father's legacy with some respect, but so many young'uns do not value the responsible handling of firearms. That he's thinking straight bodes well.

I am sure he'll learn quite a lot. Everyone needs a Yoda, from time to time.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Your position as a youth minister is a position of great influence, taking the time to teach and show him responsable care of his fathers guns after he came to you for help has taught him so much more than 'how much CLP' to apply.

GREAT JOB!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

We need more people like you in this world. Not just for the fact that your teaching him about the guns, but for all the other guidance that he will be getting from you as well. You are a true definition of a mentor. My prayers are with that kid too. That's a tough way to start life. He sounds like a very mature and intelligent kid.
    CW

Links