Moving to Rochester NY.

Moving to Rochester NY.

This is a discussion on Moving to Rochester NY. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A family member that already owns a handgun may be moving to Rochester NY. I looked up the NY handgun laws, which are pretty bad ...

Thread: Moving to Rochester NY.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar

Moving to Rochester NY.

A family member that already owns a handgun may be moving to Rochester NY. I looked up the NY handgun laws, which are pretty bad (6 months to process a handgun ownership permit application? California is better than that!). Apparently buying a handgun requires applying for a permit to own one, which might take quite a while. I couldn't find any information on what to do if one moves there with guns they already own.

The reason I'm posting is to ask if anybody knows where to find the rules and processes to follow if one moves there and already owns a handgun, or several handguns?

Thanks
    Fitch

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    http://www.ocshooters.com/Hand/plgeneral.html

This is for Orange County NY. I'm sure its not much different elsewhere, or can at least lead you in the correct direction.

When they move here, they need to turn the handguns in to the appropriate police dept. If it's within the city of Rochester, then RPD. Outside, it's the Monroe County Sheriff. They get a receipt for them, once they get a permit, they can retrieve them.

I think it would be better for someone in the state they're moving from or family elsewhere to hold onto them until they're legal here, rather than turn them in and hope to get them back.

You have to be a resident for 6 months before you can apply. The 6 month wait isn't a promise. Fun, huh? A little more info here- http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php

The good news is there are very few restrictions on carry, and Monroe issues carry permits, not "hunting/target" as some counties do. Make sure they take the Sheriff's safety course and put "personal protection" as one of the reasons they want one.

Purchasing a handgun requires a trip to the Clerk's office, but no wait other than the line.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Thanks folks! With this input and some from another forum I think I have the right information. I'll pass it along.

I'll hold the guns for them, have them shipped up there from a local FFL (also a friend) when they have completed preperations.

Thanks Again
    Fitch

Just another thought, if they know anyone with a permit in the area that they trust, they could have them register the handguns. Couldn't leave that person's control, but at least they could still go shooting with them.

Sponsored Links