My 3 yr old gets it!

My 3 yr old gets it!

This is a discussion on My 3 yr old gets it! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My son just turned 3 and seeing as how he always sees his dad with a sidearm, I thought it was time to initiate the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 3 yr old gets it!

My 3 yr old gets it!

My son just turned 3 and seeing as how he always sees his dad with a sidearm, I thought it was time to initiate the gun safety training.
    After 2 viewings of the NRA "Eddie Eagle" video, and after several demonstrations by his mother and myself on what to do when he sees a firearm, I am VERY happy to say that, each and every time he comes upon the EMPTY firearm I've secretly put on the floor, or in a chair or on a table, he stops, looks at it and immediately comes running for one of us, yelling "Mommy! Daddy! A gun!".
    He then takes our hand and leads us to the offending implement of destruction.
    At which point he gets showered with praise, hugs and a chocolate kiss.
    I test him once or twice on a daily basis and he does the right thing every time.
    Not that this means I'll be any less vigilant on guns around the house, but it does alleviate SOME concern as to how he'll behave at this point in his life.
    A good start I think.
    Just thought I'd share that with ya'll.
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

That's great, keep up the good work.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Just think...couple more Christmas' and he's gonna be opening a present and state "Mommy! Daddy! A gun!. Thanks, it's just what I wanted." And the next generation has begun!!!! Way to go dad.

Just think...couple more Christmas' and he's gonna be opening a present and state "Mommy! Daddy! A gun!. Thanks, it's just what I wanted." And the next generation has begun!!!! Way to go dad.
    Bass Pro had a sale on the Daisy BB rifle which I bought but seeing as how it's taller than he is, I think we'll wait another year or 2 before he get's THAT for Christmas.
    Criminals are not dissuaded by soft words, soft judges or easy laws. They are dissuaded by fear and they are prevented from repeating their crimes by death or by incarceration.

Please be careful with the whole concept. It's deeper than a 3 year old can truly grasp. Don't fall into a false sense of security. Many studies have been done on different ages of kids (especially boys) and the efficacy of this type of safety training and it's effectiveness. Their curiousity is just too strong.

Bottom line is that the studies found that even when exposed to training a high percentage of children will pick up the gun and pull the trigger.

Not taking either side because all studies have their faults, but they make a good point...here's one...Children and Guns.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Please be careful with the whole concept.
    I appreciate your thoughts but I assure you, his behaviour has no bearing whatsoever on my vigilance and precautionary measures.
    I know the INSANE things I did as a very little boy with my father's guns that were left about in the night table or hanging in the closet.
    If I told you the things I did........
    But at least I knew how to remove bullets and what happens when a trigger is pulled.
    No matter, the training will be ongoing.
    Thanks!

You know, it really is amazing how more kids don't get shot seeing as how gun violence, as shown in the abstract in movies and TV, is so prevalent.
    They see a guy get killed on channel 2, and see the same guy in another show tyher next day on channel 5.
    And as kids we would all play the cops & robbers or cowboys & indians, shooting up everything and anybody in our path.
    YET, we knew NOT to do that with a real gun.
    Some kids don't I guess.
    An interesting dynamic at play.
    I think the training becomes even more essential as they get older around 7 to 11 yrs old.
    But it can't hurt to start 'em early.

that is such a cute story. I wish all parents (even if they don't own guns) would show this to their children.

I've heard that some parents will couple this video with later pistol training. Say around the age of 8 to 10. It satisfies the child's curiosity.

While you can control you guns and keep them locked up, you have no control over a friend's parents, or neighbors. They might have a gun hidden in a dresser or some such. These techniques could save a life.

I am glad to hear your doing this.
    Puts a warm fuzzy feeling down in the cockles.

Good job! Keep it up and see if you can help brothers, sisters, brother and sister-in-laws their kids.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

thats great ,the best gun saftey is gun awareness

Good job!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I'm assuming you are leaving unloaded guns laying around. Keep us posed on her progress. Even the errors that may happen.

I'm getting ready to start my nieces 4 y/o daughter. My niece doesn't own any guns but I was thinking about buying an Airsoft pistol to use for training so she can "test" her occasionally. Anyone think this is reasonable? My niece doesn't know anything about guns either but we are concerned if she finds one in yard or somewhere else. I have to be cautious and slow. My wife and probably my in-laws have the head in the sand philosophy about the "harm" that can happen regarding firearms and a few other issues.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    Good job. It's important to start them early. It is no guarantee, but that's life. I do think once or twice a day is a little excessive. To a child that age, it's probably getting to be like an easter egg hunt to him now. I mean he's getting candy for doing what you tell him to do.. Just a suggestion, maybe wait a week or so and do it, then 2 weeks, then a month. See what reaction you get...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    I'm assuming you are leaving unloaded guns laying around. Keep us posed on her progress. Even the errors that may happen.

I'm getting ready to start my nieces 4 y/o daughter. My niece doesn't own any guns but I was thinking about buying an Airsoft pistol to use for training so she can "test" her occasionally. Anyone think this is reasonable? My niece doesn't know anything about guns either but we are concerned if she finds one in yard or somewhere else. I have to be cautious and slow. My wife and probably my in-laws have the head in the sand philosophy about the "harm" that can happen regarding firearms and a few other issues.
    Maybe work on the niece first? I think I might be offended if someone else took the initiative to teach lesssons to my child without approaching me first.

down in the cockles.

Keep us posed on her progress.
    HIS progress!

I do think once or twice a day is a little excessive.
    That was just for the first couple of days.
    Now it's a few times a week.
    I want him to forget about the whole thing for a day or two then see how he reacts.
    Thanks for the input though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links