Sixteen year old in the house...

This is a discussion on Sixteen year old in the house... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a daughter, age sixteen in the house. She comes to visit about four -five times a year and stays for at least a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sixteen year old in the house...

Sixteen year old in the house...

I have a daughter, age sixteen in the house. She comes to visit about four -five times a year and stays for at least a week. I have been reading about training young children gun safety, but she comes from a no gun house and has never been taught gun safety. My husband and I both keep our guns safe and out of sight, and she knows about them but not where they are. We talk to her about gun safety, but I am always worried. At this point I think she would say something to us if she came across a gun, but there is always a chance. Any suggestions about gun safety with a part time child? We are both vigilant in making sure our weapons are out of sight and not in a place she can find them, to the point that I often have mine locked up while she is here. Remember she is raised in a house ehere guns are evil. If my parents knew we had weapons in the house they might not let me have her down, so I can't ask them to get involved in her training. This is of more concern this year because I just got a new pistol that I love, but am afraid to show her...

Tdpalmer

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Teach her.
    Get her to a range and take the "mystery" out of guns.
    And show her your new gun.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

You could also make it a range day when she comes over. This will indoctrinate her to gun safety and weapon handling. It will also show her that they can be fun to shoot, and won't jump up on tiny legs and kill people.

My whole family is anti-gun, but i recently took my brother to the range. I showed him how to use the gun, we spent about 2 hours shooting my 22. I hope he came away with a better view of firearms.

What is your relationship with her? Do you get along well? Without being sure, it sounds like perhaps you had her when you were single, couldn't take care of her and your parents raised her. If I am correct, does she hold resentment towards you? Does she mind in general? Does she follow the rules?

16 is a pretty willful, and rebellious age.

I think these issues need be considered before giving any technical advice.

VIP Member
    That's a toughy. How much problem is this going to cause between the adults if you take her shooting? These are your parents raising her? You obviously know your parents well enough to know how they are going to react if she goes home and tells them you took her shooting. Sounds like to them, it would be borderline child abuse.
    If it means loosing the right to see your child, I'd be very carefull. Maybe be very suttle about the subject like you have been, then wait until she is 18 and go all out ( range time ).

Why not teach her gun safety ??

You may be able to get a quick class at a local range instead of doing it yourself. A professional instructor helps with a good presentation. Also, knowing how some kids kind of ignore words spoken by parents, it may not be a bad idea.

Ron
    Whether or not you decide to teach her gun safety and/or take her to a range, please be certain to have your guns either on you or locked away when she visits. Not just somewhere in your house where you think she won't find them, but locked in a gun safe. IMO, that applies for any home where there are children about.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Administrator
    I dont think you have much of a choice other than to teach her and take her shooting if she is at all interested in the guns. At 16, and a girl, I would hope she is smart enough not to mess with something like that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Surround the gun safe with dirty clothes, history books, things like that. she won't even go into the same room with them. :-)

You've in a tough spot....if the parents don't teach her about gun safety, and the put you in a position where you can't out of fear of losing the chance to see her, then...out of sight is about you're best option as it looks from my armchair.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Why not teach her gun safety ??

You may be able to get a quick class at a local range instead of doing it yourself. A professional instructor helps with a good presentation. Also, knowing how some kids kind of ignore words spoken by parents, it may not be a bad idea.
    Using the 'instructor' idea might also eliminate the potential anger by the 'ex' of YOU giving gun safety lessons...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My daughter was 16 when I first took her to the range. She had been around them all her life but the training and range time came at 16. She is now 18 and tries to go to the range often with me. She is looking into getting a ccw when she is 21
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Quote Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
    What is your relationship with her? Do you get along well? Without being sure, it sounds like perhaps you had her when you were single, couldn't take care of her and your parents raised her. If I am correct, does she hold resentment towards you? Does she mind in general? Does she follow the rules?

16 is a pretty willful, and rebellious age.

I think these issues need be considered before giving any technical advice.
    We get along great, she is special needs. We went ahead and talked to her about it. She didn't freek like I thought she might. I did have her when I was single and she has a lot of concerns that my parents were and are better at handeling. She does not live with me now because she is OCD and can't handle a big change in her life that moving from NY state to the country would push on her. She is not interested in shooting, but we have a range in the back yard so I might make a range day for just her and I this week. She told me what to do with a gun before I brought it out to show her. She said to leave it alone and tell mom or dad. This made me feel better about talking to her about it. She knows about the rifles we have in the safe, but now she knows about the pistols. We both showed her our guns and showed her how to make sure they were empty and told her not to touch it unless we were with her. I let her hold mine. She liked the feel of it but does not want to shoot it. I think she is afraid of it. I want her to respect guns and not be afraid of them. We also told her she is not to talk to her friends about mom and dad having weapons, We don't want her being pressured into showing them off. She is 16 years old with the mentality of a 12 year old and the brains of an 18 year old. I guess now we have to get her used to the shooting of a gun and maybe she will grow up understanding both sides of the argument and can make an educated decision on hand guns and the like. We will see.

TDPalmer

Instructions on firearms. At 16, I already had 5 or 6 years of complete freedom with guns. My son and daughter started shooting before 10, so they know guns.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

My 16 yo son was a part time resident until 2 months ago. He has shot since 7, and guns in both homes. BUT....16 year olds talk to others, and so on, and before you know it? True peace of mind is a couple of quick access pistol boxes bolted down in the house. Less than a hundred bucks leaves a lot of nice options. If it's not on me, or in between me and the dogs in my sleep, its locked up.

Distinguished Member Array mavrik46's Avatar
    I say teach her. I have an 18 year old daughter who is away at college most of the time now. She's always known about my guns and was taught from an early age about not touching when neither myself or my wife wasn't around. Last year for Christmas, we gave Catherine a gun of her own. It stays in my safe unless she and I go to the range. And she and I both realy enjoy the time we spend at the range together. She's always been a daddy's girl but there for a while there never seemd to be enough time for us to spend time together. Now, she is home almost every weekend and on the weekends that I'm off we try to go to the range. So, by all means if she shows any interest at all, teach her gun safety and then take her to the range and teach her to shoot.
    Greg

It's not what you go thru in life, but how well you go thru it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links