2"revolver or my old 45 auto

This is a discussion on 2"revolver or my old 45 auto within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am sure this has been batted about already but being a N00B here I thought I would put this question out. Forgive me if ...

Thread: 2"revolver or my old 45 auto

I am sure this has been batted about already but being a N00B here I thought I would put this question out.
    Forgive me if this gets longer than I would prefer, sometimes I tend to babble, says the wife.
    I recently purchased a 5 shot 2" 45 colt revolver because I got paranoid after my son says "dad do you really want to lose that .45 Colt Commander you carry, they will take it for at least 6 months".
    I know a lot of folks like to carry a box of ammo on there hip and say never carry the minimum 4 that they say the FBI states is average in a personal shootout.
    But I question that for no other reason than I have enough trouble keeping my pants up with all that weight of just that ultra-light .45.
    In addition being if the distance is 5-10 feet, per the FBI, and I got to get that thing out, I like that little snubby now, it comes out VERY VERY quick.
    And thanks to Uncle Sam trying his darndest to get me killed I know pretty much how I am going to react under fire and with a gun in my face.
    So I say isn’t 5 more than enough?
    I mean if I hit them with that big ole .45 slug, they're going down no matter where I hit them.
    Besides if that thing goes off I would like to think that they will turn and run and other than a combat situation, the Boy Scout in me has an aversion to shooting a man in the back.
    Just been on my mind so I thought I would ask, maybe point me to the original thread.

I thank you and please forgive the ramble.
    Honor, Courage, Virtue. These are what makes a man.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Welcome to the forum! If you have good shot placement, 5 is enough; unless there are 6 bad guys, and then you need a lot more than spare ammo! If you carry a 5 shot revolver (and I do frequently) you are well armed. I carry 3 reloads. Most firefights are over in seconds, and if you are first and on target, you should be fine!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

JH, you asked many questions, or pointed out several assumptions. Three feet or 100 yards, 3.5 rounds or 1750 rounds, you never know what you will get into. So prepare, practice on what will get you out of the most likely "Happening" you should find and that should cover you for 80-90% of what is out there.

Next, I believe everyone should carry whatever he or she is most comfortable with having. For me, given the choice, nothing feels as good to me as a 1911 on the hip, sorry just toooo many years carrying, too many matches, too rounds down range. About half the time I have to carry some else, but I can make due.

I have more than one 1911, and I never carry one I really would not want to lose, like my fatherís 1911 from the war or a few others. I carry some cheap ones and at times some custom $2000+ ones, but I am willing to lose them and try to replace them rather than some of the other things around me I that I care about at the end of the day.

I usually carry a 5 shot .38 revolver with no reload based on the same statistics. I also have a compact 9mm to take if I feel the need to pack a gun with more capacity/reloadability. I don't carry any gun that has any sentimental attachment. All of my carry guns are quality stock factory guns that are easy and relatively inexpensive to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead45 View Post
    . So I say isn’t 5 more than enough. I mean if I hit them with that big ole .45 slug, there going down no matter where I hit them.
    I thank you and please forgive the ramble.
    Please don't fall for the hype on the 45 ACP that if you hit them in the thumb it is going going to send them flying back 10feet and flat on their back. Statements like this shouldn't be made because some are so gullible they believe it. Stats mean absolutely nothing to me. Each and everyone of us has to determine what it takes for use to feel safe. There are many. many factors that go into this, where you live, work, where you travel, how confident are you in your carry piece, etc.... For some this is going to be a G23 with two extra mags, others feel perfectly safe with a Seecamp or Keltec. Nobody can decide this for you, it is something you must decide for yourself based on the variables that make up this decision. Not meaning to be a Smart A** but it is the truth. Please don't get hung up on the 45 is the end of all bullets. I feel very well protected at ALL times and a 45 ACP isn't in my line up of SD firearms.
    Merry Christmas
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I mean if I hit them with that big ole .45 slug, there going down no matter where I hit them.
    Please don't fall for this CRAP! It will get you killed.

No handgun round is effective nor has enough power to reliably stop a determined attacker 100% The reason I carry a pair of handguns is, they are easier to carry than a Shotgun or Rifle. If I knew I was going to get in a gunfight I would carry a Longarm and bring some Buddies, or I wouldn't go to the place that the fight was going to happen.

I look at my handguns as tools. They are designed to allow me to survive an encounter. I like nice guns, but they are not worth my life. If my $1,000 gun goes in the Evidence Locker I consider it money well spent and realize I will probably never see it again. That is cheaper than me dying.

I like Revolvers, and usually carry two of them. One is accessable to each hand. The reason I do this is because I cannot guarantee what hand I will be able to grab my gun with when the SHTF. One gun is a "Duty Size" weapon in 45 ACP or .357 Magnum. The other is a 5 Shot Airweight J-Frame.

Most people will not even need one gun, I have already needed a gun twice. Once as a civilian and once as an LEO. The reason I carry a full size gun is, I shoot them better. I also practice a lot with the smaller weapon, as you should. By the way, one of those times I used a Shotgun, not a Handgun.

Biker

Hmmmm.. good answers. Guess I was looking for a justification / feel good answer and I found it. Ill keep that $2000 Colt in the safe and only bring her out on Sunday's. I am very comfortable with that snubby so I will keep her on me and bring out the SIG for those troublesome moments. Though no pistol is a substitue for a high velocity .30 cal combat rifle.
    Hornet, I never believe a .45 is the ultimate cure all, but I have seen the enemy hit with a 9mm and they kept on firing, Ive seen em' hit with a .45 and they dont seem to move none too much, both being chest shots. Autopsy not known, the .45 shot could have hit the heart, while the 9's could have just grazed a lung. If I had my druthers I would carry my 12 ga. coach gun or my sons choice - a flame thrower. As he says - fire is primal, every man runs at the sight of shooting flames. He's a smart kid that one is.. he he he , think I raised him right.
    thanks a bunch folks. never did see if this has been debated before though.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps."
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

I'd carry the one I liked best.

Kinda getting off topic but applies to the stopping power of the .45...

Even a good rifle may not put someone (or something) down immediately. From deer hunting, I have seen deer run 50-100 yards with heart or lungs gone ( 7 mm mag, 30-06) apparently running on adrenalin. The only thing I have ever seen stop a deer consistently with one shot has been my .300 Weatherby (6 one shot stops - don't ask why the Weatherby - it's a long story).

My belief (and Weatherby's) is that the shock to the central nervous system is what stops a target instantly (.300 Weatherby has 4000 plus ft-lbs at the muzzle vs. 400 plus for a .45) .

No need to carry additional spare ammo... Just carry another pistol!

Never rely on one shot to stop a baddie, it's unrealistic.

5 rds versus an "average" of 4 - you know that means 50% of the personal shootings would involve 5 OR MORE rounds.

Also, if you are shooting .45LC in a 2" barrel, kudos for lots of power in each round. I can imagine the muzzleflash would be extreme and recoil would take more than a second to get you back on target.

In my oppinion, I think you are coming at this from the wrong viewpoint. But honestly, I'd love to be wrong and for you to never need one round.

Dog gone it Shizzlemah, just when I felt comfortable, I forgot average for a moment in my logic. I don’t mind carrying a reload for insurance sake, but I don’t like the extra weight or go through the extra time to reload. I may have to reconsider my .45 Commander, cause it does ride real well and looks real purty in that Mitch Rosen rig. But there is just a lot of sentiment attached to it, and would hate to see her in an evidence locker.
    I guess it just might come down to dress and to properly accessorize for the perceived occasion. Maybe its time to look at a new double stack .45 or .40. Dang and I just bought 2 new pistols for carry. Decisions decisions, looks like I may still have to ponder this a bit longer, and get a few more insightful comments.
    No worries on the 2nd shot for that .45LC. With the grips and muzzle porting it recovers faster than almost all my other guns. And with the porting the front sight is self blackening. Now one that I do have that is highly under rated is my CZ52 in 7.62x25. That kicks more (perceived) than my .44 mag I do believe. A very highly under rated round as it penetrates body armor, and car doors easily.
    Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Welcome to the forum. I carry what I shoot best. Why would you loose it for 6 months if the shooting is justified? Colt Commanders can be replaced, is there a replacement for you? I always say carry the most reliable weapon you have and don't worry about the weight. In the end, it won't matter if that chunk of steel did it's job.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links