Using permit for ID

This is a discussion on Using permit for ID within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a friend of mine in Nashville , she works at a bank. She said lots of people show their permit for ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Using permit for ID

VIP Member

Using permit for ID

I was talking to a friend of mine in Nashville , she works at a bank. She said lots of people show their permit for ID rather than their drivers license. I can think of only two reasons to do this. 1, you don't have a drivers license, or 2, you're an ego maniac that thinks it's cool and needs help.
    Am I missing something here?

2. Remove Ads

No. You're not missing something. You have correctly identified it.

Assistant Administrator
    This has been discussed a few times and I think overall none of us is choosing to use the CCW for photo ID.

Not many folks without a DL - which if possessed has to be carried - and so #1 for proof of ID IMO. Probably most cases of showing CCW is an ego/macho thing - with maybe a few exceptions.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I cannot even think of a situation that I would use my permit for an id. Especially in Kalifornia, they would not even know what it is. Then they would freak out and run away.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

I was at a bank and they wanted a second peice of ID. I tried my pilots' license to try and avoid showing a credit card but somehow they couldn't figure out what it was and kept asking for a credit card. It crossed my mind to show the permit but they pprobably wound't get that either, and might feel threatened. I gave them the C Card.

Why do they need a second peice of ID anyway? If I stole a guys wallet then I've got all sorts of stuff with his name and no pictures.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I am sorry it is IDIOTS like this that give some of us a bad wrap!! These idiots probably pull their cover garment up just enough to show their holster to say "Look at me I carry a gun" STUPID. My CCW permit isn't anywhere near my DL, plus it doesn't have a pic on it so it is useless as a ID anyway.
    Rant Over
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I was talking to a friend of mine in Nashville , she works at a bank. She said lots of people show their permit for ID rather than their drivers license. I can think of only two reasons to do this. 1, you don't have a drivers license, or 2, you're an ego maniac that thinks it's cool and needs help.
    Am I missing something here?
    Well, everybody knows showing your permit for ID works MUCH better at the airport than the bank!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Since my VA permit looks like something anyone could make on a computer and has no photo, I couldn't use it if I wanted to, which I don't. I use my passport for secondary id. Not sure why anyone would want to use their permit as an id.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Using My CCW

I use mine at the airport all the time. I got a new card with my current address, but the card with the olde address is still current.

I use it - instead of my Drivers' License - since I have two and losing my DL would be a big pain.

I get weird looks most of the time (they are trying to figure out what it is), and I have had a TSA type ask if I was carrying (at JFK). But I carry my cell phone and PDA in a shoulder holster rig too....
    Last edited by GHFLRLTD; December 23rd, 2007 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

My CWP is exactly like my Drivers License except that it has a blue bar at the top and says Concealed Weapons Permit instead of red and has a different number on it. The pictures and everything else is the same. If someone need to see it I would have no more problem with showing it than I would my drivers license and much less than my Social Security card. I do not understnd why people are so secretive about having a CWP. It is almost like they are either ashamed of it or feel that they ar doing something illegal by having one. Maybe it is the culture but around here I have never been questioned about having a gun or carrying one. My Grandfather carried one all his life way back before there were any permits and my father who drove a bus always carried one in his bag. I even had the local sheriff tell me that the permit was a waste as half of all men around here over 60 carried a gun without a permit anyway.

VIP Member
    In Texas, you must have your DL with you along with your Handgun License. The gun license is technically not good without the DL; both are keyed to cross identify with each other.

The State also issues an identification card. One can if one chooses, get the handgun license keyed to the identification card.

Since losing either DL or handgun licenense is a big pain, I obtained the state issued ID. This is what I use when asked for ID. I use it at airports, no problem.

Frankly, I can not think of any time I have been asked for more than one piece of ID. And, I sure as h... would not give out a credit card number unless I was making a purchase.

I really like the Texas ID card. Using it decouples your day to day activities from the DL and the CHL, and it is a cheap and easy thing to replace if it is lost--to say nothing of the fact that there is no inconvenience if it is lost as you still are holding on to the DL and CHL, and maybe a passport too.

In my county the lines at the license office aren't long, and once you get that state ID, (a few minutes stand on line, a photo, a couple of thumb prints, and a few bucks) it is ,unlike the DL, indefinite. No need to worry about an expiration date.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I was at a bank and they wanted a second peice of ID. I tried my pilots' license to try and avoid showing a credit card but somehow they couldn't figure out what it was and kept asking for a credit card. It crossed my mind to show the permit but they pprobably wound't get that either, and might feel threatened. I gave them the C Card.

Why do they need a second peice of ID anyway? If I stole a guys wallet then I've got all sorts of stuff with his name and no pictures.

When I was 21 and trying to buy beer, no one would take my credit card as ID (no picture, no b-day, no offiical issuing agency). Not sure, why a credit card be a valid ID for a bank???

Senior Moderator
    Im going to go against the flow here...

I personally dont see the problem with using your permit as an ID.

I've done it, and it was'nt to show off or be egotistical, I simply used it because it worked. Too be honest I could care less if anyone was impressed by it or not, because I'm certainly not.

In one case it resulted in an interesting discussion with a clerk that had been thinking about getting one but didnt really know where to look or how to go about it. I told her of a class coming up and she attended it and got her permit.

Now that the Arkansas Permit will have the same photo on it as the D.L., I can see it being used as a second ID alot more that it used to be. As long as it works...what does it matter ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chenemf View Post
    When I was 21 and trying to buy beer, no one would take my credit card as ID (no picture, no b-day, no offiical issuing agency). Not sure, why a credit card be a valid ID for a bank???
    Got me, but as someone who has cashed a lot of checks at banks where I haven't held an account, it's pretty common. I could be stubborn, but then I'd have to leave without my money...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I do this all time...

whenever I'm asked for two forms of ID. It's the only other ID I carry on me, besides the DL. I don't see why it's such a big. I'm armed, you have a decent probability of being armed, too. Get over it. It's just a fact of life that some people carry firearms, and have the licenses required by the state to do so.

I find they are less surprised that I have a license if I'm open carrying. Actually, now that I think about it, when using my LTCF as a secondary ID, no one has ever batted an eye. Same goes with open carrying. I don't see what the big deal is here.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links