Concealed means concealed!

This is a discussion on Concealed means concealed! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read not only here but other sites as well about how a lot of people "Print", show their CCW for ID, or find other ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I read not only here but other sites as well about how a lot of people "Print", show their CCW for ID, or find other ways of informing that they carry a gun. We carry concealed so no one knows. This is so if someone attempts to do harm we have the element of surprise on our side. Lets look at the 2 possible scenarios.
    1) You are out in public, BG comes at you and does not know you are carrying a gun and attempts to cause you bodily harm, you surprise him by pulling out your gun, you stand a chance of walking away.

2) You are out in public, BG comes at you and now he knows you carry because you run around broadcasting it, so instead of coming at you from the front, he approaches from the rear and tells you "Don't even think of going for that gun under your shirt" You are now in big trouble.

Me? I like whats behind door #1 better myself, but if you want whats behind door #2, then be my guest.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Distinguished Member
    I'm with you. Ran into an old high-school classmate, he asked if I was pack'n---nope, felt kind'a bad lieing, but I got over it in about say 2 seconds.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    I read not only here but other sites as well about how a lot of people "Print", show their CCW for ID, or find other ways of informing that they carry a gun. We carry concealed so no one knows. This is so if someone attempts to do harm we have the element of surprise on our side. Lets look at the 2 possible scenarios.
    1) You are out in public, BG comes at you and does not know you are carrying a gun and attempts to cause you bodily harm, you surprise him by pulling out your gun, you stand a chance of walking away.

2) You are out in public, BG comes at you and now he knows you carry because you run around broadcasting it, so instead of coming at you from the front, he approaches from the rear and tells you "Don't even think of going for that gun under your shirt" You are now in big trouble.

Me? I like whats behind door #1 better myself, but if you want whats behind door #2, then be my guest.
    How about 3) You are out in public and BG is looking for a target to rob, see's your firearm and turns and looks for an easier target. I would guess most BG's don't WANT to get shot. So if there is a good chance of that happening I would think they might wanna pick a more fluffy target.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    A good holster, belt, and concealment garment would make all the difference, to make sure nobody but you (and maybe close friends and relatives) know you're carrying. If you're caught off guard by an attacker, then you need to work on your awareness level. It's not always easy being in condition yellow, I know it isn't for me, but I do my best.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

That is why you always need to fight dirty.

Door #1 is no big deal.

Door #2 I would not touch the gun on the hip but the ONE in my pocket I always carry two and one on each side.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

yep..no one knows but me!

Number 1 most definitely. Concealed means just that!
    Be aware, be ready.

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

My Kimber Ultra is SOOOO comfortable, that sometimes I don't even know I'm armed...

Stay armed...do it with comfort...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    I'm with you. Ran into an old high-school classmate, he asked if I was pack'n---nope, felt kind'a bad lieing, but I got over it in about say 2 seconds.
    Agreed 100%.

I too would not only not feel bad about lying under such a circumstance but as a default mode of rollin' through life I would in fact lie if some fool approached and asked me such a stupid and invasive question.
    Why not ask if I'm wearing underwear or going commando.

Concealed is concealed and as U.N. noted advertising ones status and degree of defense system capability provides the enemy with intel that they would otherwise not have, and thus the very handy element of surprise is lost and they have time and ability to form a counter _before_ attacking.

Not even Superman nor Batman walks around in their cape and tights all day for all to know and see.
    Being on the low low has distinct tactical advantages.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I don't disagree with the possibility of any of the scenarios presented. They all depend on if there is knowledge the GG is armed, and then the situation depends on what the BG decides to do. I don't like my fate determined by some BG.

Here's another door (4): psycho BG is intent on going out in a blaze, either suicide by cop, or by himself. So he sees someone he knows is armed. He may decide to start his rampage by walking up behind GG and putting a bullet in GG's head. Another good reason to keep it quiet.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I always advocate that "concealed" means concealed! No-one knows I carry except my wife.

VIP Member
    It's just my opinion but I think bragging about your CCW, including carelessly printing, is immature and irresponsible.

No matter how hard we try there will be times we accidentally print and are "outed" but I'm talking about those who deliberately print, and I know a couple, its just another way of bragging.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by older gunner View Post
    I always advocate that "concealed" means concealed! No-one knows I carry except my wife.
    ..... and there are days that unless my wife is in the room while I am getting dressed, even she does not know for sure !

Very good subject for a thread. Even for us old timers that have been around the gun world for a while, reminders do us all good.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    yep..no one knows but me!
    Sorry bro, that's just impossible unless you live under a rock. I am very discrete but close friends, like minded friends who I shoot or train with know, family members know, my Sheriff knows, the owner of my company knows but beyond that, that is it. I do not go around spouting I carry ever but I am not naive enough to think that no one knows either.

They all know not to advertise it, neither do I but to keep it completely hidden just can't happen. Most of them carry or want to carry as well and understand to keep there grills shut. I come across people all the time at the range I know and are dumb founded at the fact I even own a gun when I run into them. They didn't know, but know now. Get it, it just can't be discrete enough to where no one knows but you.

But I think it is a bit paranoid to think that a random BG is going to know you carry by hearing it through the grape vine and come up behind you like in a move telling you to don't even think aout it. Even if that did happen anyone who might know I carry will know the rest of the story as well. My handgun is not my only weapon or mode of defense. I train hard and often HtoH, fighting pistol, rifle/carbine and shotgun classes, some blade classes, etc. No way to keep all that completely hidden from people. People are in those classes, people are at the range, people are your friends that you do stuff with and chances are they either know you, will know you, know's someone who know's you, or someone that knows someone who knows you.

Like I said, I keep things as low profile as possible about the subject unless with my like minded constituents. Training and mastering awareness techniques are your best bet to stay alive and out of trouble on the street, which most, probably 90%of all who conceal carries refuse to do.

Personally, if a bad guy does find out I carry will likely also figure out the rest of my story/background of training, I hope that is enough to scare him enough to leave it alone and find easier prey, if not.......

No BG wants to tangle with someone that is trained and carries a gun. A study of prisoners that were at the time or are still in prison have shown that they will not or do not want anything to do with someone that they think is carrying or might be carrying a gun. They can tell or sense the difference in a sheep or a sheep dog/warrior (for lack of better terms). I have no doubt that walking tall and knowing you carry a big stick or big stick's has a lot to do with why a BG chooses not to mess with you out in the field.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    You're right Ti, if anyone is gonna pick you out of a crowd as carrying, it'll probably be the hard core prison trained BG not your average street dirt bag.!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links