To groove or not to groove?

This is a discussion on To groove or not to groove? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought both finger grooved and plain panel hogue grips for my P229. I can't decide which I like better. The grooves are comfortable and ...

Thread: To groove or not to groove?

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

I bought both finger grooved and plain panel hogue grips for my P229. I can't decide which I like better. The grooves are comfortable and fit my fingers fine, but I think the added grip thickness makes the grip too big for my girly hands...I can't even get my thumb over the magazine release with the stock grips without moving my grip. I've been using the panels, but I keep thinking there has to be a reason the grooves would be better.

Pros and cons to finger grooves for CCW?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I don't see how they can be pros or cons for finger grooves.
    The way I see it is whichever 'fits your hand the best'.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I like the finger grove grips. I was glad to see Glock come out with those models. I'm still looking for a set for my P220R SAO. I like the Hogue rubber, but they only come for the SA/DA.
    Last edited by Ram Rod; December 24th, 2007 at 09:17 AM.

Go to the range and make your decision based on range results. Grooves are right for some and not for others. I have large hands and appreciate the grooves, also makes aquiring the weapon in the dark a bit quicker.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Grooves are great if they fit your hand. I hate them but find them a necessity on the 442.

I took the grooves off of my G27, it just works better for me.

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    The grooves are comfortable and fit my fingers fine, but I think the added grip thickness makes the grip too big for my girly hands.
    Many of the makers of such grips do it stupidly, IMO, adding grip circumference where no change should be made. The "grooves" should, indeed, swell between the fingers, not create an overall larger grip to manage. There are a few custom wood grips I've seen/held on revolvers that are carved to have these swells between the fingers but add nothing to the overall circumference. These are great. But, I have yet to see anything similar for a pistol.
    Attached Images
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JD
    Administrator
    I'm not overly fond of the grooves, I like my fingers to rest where they want to go, not where the maker of the gun or grips think they should go. Having to shift the gun to manipulate the mag release is nothing new, to date there is only one family of gun I can do that on, and it's the M&P line up from S&W while using the smallest back strap.

In most cases there's no real advantage on the grooves IMHO on an auto pistol of normal caliber, it's all personal preference. I will say that if I'm going to shoot full power .357 Mag loads out of my GP100, I'd rather have some grooves to help lock the gun into my grip.

As always, your mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I'm not overly fond of the grooves, I like my fingers to rest where they want to go, not where the maker of the gun or grips think they should go. Having to shift the gun to manipulate the mag release is nothing new, to date there is only one family of gun I can do that on, and it's the M&P line up from S&W while using the smallest back strap.
    I find the grooves on the grip of my Gen 3 G19 fit my hand very nicely and comfortably. But my hands are too small to operate the mag release without shifting my grip or using my weak hand. I can reach the mag release with the tip of my thumb, but just can't get any leverage on it from my shooting grip.

But while taking a defensive pistol course last May, another student let me try his G23 (same frame as my 19, but in .40S&W) with an extended mag release. That worked for me and I ordered one from Glockmeister that night. http://glockmeister.com/product_info...roducts_id=208
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    I find the grooves on the grip of my Gen 3 G19 fit my hand very nicely and comfortably. But my hands are too small to operate the mag release without shifting my grip or using my weak hand. I can reach the mag release with the tip of my thumb, but just can't get any leverage on it from my shooting grip.

But while taking a defensive pistol course last May, another student let me try his G23 (same frame as my 19, but in .40S&W) with an extended mag release. That worked for me and I ordered one from Glockmeister that night. http://glockmeister.com/product_info...roducts_id=208
    I just looked at that page and read the reviews. Some a good but several of them say that the extended mag release tends to be actuated when holstering the gun causing the mag to drop out when you draw. That is not something I would want to have happed if I need my G23 to save my life or the lives of my family. I'll stick to the stock mag release on mine.

I will be removing the finger grooves on my G23 in the future also. I hate them. The earlier generation Glock grip without the grooves were much better IMHO.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I just looked at that page and read the reviews. Some a good but several of them say that the extended mag release tends to be actuated when holstering the gun causing the mag to drop out when you draw.
    Yes, I've heard that as well. Nobody needs that surprise! Fortunately, none of my kydex holsters interfere with the extended mag release. They all have been formed with space for the original mag release to slide in and out without touching the holster. The extended mag release doesn't extend any further out the side of the grip - it just extends it backwards, toward the backstrap.

OTOH, a Glock guy at the recent Harrisburg Gun Show recommended I replace the stock mag release button with one from one of the thicker-gripped double-stack .45ACP model Glocks to solve my leverage problem. I think that would have a chance of being actuated when holstering or drawing, unless the holster were modified or I had one custom-made.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Well I decided to do some dry firing to find out what's right for me.

Results

I like the grooves for target dryfiring...I think they would add stability, and they fit my fingers pretty decently.

For concealed carry though, I vote no grooves. I found that when I draw from the holster, I had to adjust my grip slightly (just the fingers) every time. I don't do that with the no grooves. Also, the additional stickiness of the rubber makes it slower and more difficult to re-acquire my shotting grip after actuating the magazine release.

And since I target shoot the same way I carry...no grooves wins.

Links