Just moved to Maine (again)

This is a discussion on Just moved to Maine (again) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just returned to Maine, after a long absence. Years ago, I was up on the carry laws, but now I need a refresher. ...

Thread: Just moved to Maine (again)

I have just returned to Maine, after a long absence. Years ago, I was up on the carry laws, but now I need a refresher. I have a non-resident CCW for when I came to visit, which was seldom, and didn't include activities that I now will have by working and living here.

Looking for advice on:
    1) Carry laws & places off limits (please don't refer me to handgunlaw.com - been there, done that - not impressed).
    2) Who do I contact to get my Resident (transfer from non-resident to resident?
    3) Maine gun organizations that I can support?
    4) Good shooting ranges (prefer indoor due to winter, but would rather be cold, than not shoot at all)
    5) Good Gun shops

FYI - I am Portland working for the city - checked the regs, and can't carry at work which really bums me out!
    Last edited by DMan; December 24th, 2007 at 07:57 PM.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

1) Carry laws & places off limits (please don't refer me to handgunlaw.com - been there, done that - not impressed).

With a permit you can carry a pistol or revolver loaded in your car

Maine specific places off limits:
    Public Schools
    Courthouses
    area or building within the control of the Maine Judicial Branch
    licensed establishment posted for possession of firearms
    The capital or any of the areas used by the capital
    Anyplace posted for firearms that is private property

2) Who do I contact to get my Resident (transfer from non-resident to resident?

I believe that the Portland police would be the issuing authority. If not then you can find contact info for the Maine state police Gaming and Weapons Unit here. http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html

3) Maine gun organizations that I can support?
    http://www.samcef.org/
    Being peaceful does not guarantee peace, strength and a willingness to commit violence when needed does.

Moving to Maine? What were you thinking? Seriously though, welcome aboard neighbor.

Anyhow,
    the ME SP document referenced above covers the laws.

If you are a resident of Portland, you'll have to apply for a permit through the Portland PD. Basically, if you live in a city, apply to the police dept. If you are in a town without a PD, then you apply through the state police. State police do a fine job and are very helpful, but they do it all through the mail. You aren't allowed to drive up and get the forms, nor drop off the forms.

Aside from a few bucks and a filling out a form, you'll also need some type of proof of handgun competency. Most handgun classess will fill the legal requirement (NRA basic pistol, NRA personal protection, etc) but your local PD may only recognize certain classes. I think there are a couple of towns that require you to take their class. Bear in mind that a 'hunter safety' class is no longer sufficient for this standard. There was some talk about disallowing military experience, but I think it is still sufficient. If you apply through a local PD, I think you need to take a class every 5 years. Only need the class once if you go through the state police.

Unfortunately you can't just turn in a nonres and get a resident permit.

Places to shoot - well keep me posted if you find an indoor range around, eh? I'd love to find one as well. Nearest that I know of are in Salisbury & Woburn MA. The club in Scarborough (scarfg.org) technically has an indoor range but it is currently limited to airguns. Someday it will be rated up to 38/9 but it has been a long time coming.

Points of interest :
    - Bars/serving restraunts are okay as long as you are concealed and not intoxicated.
    - Also If you refuse a breathylizer, you'll lose your permit.
    - there is NO statewide database of who has a CCW permit. If you get a permit issued by Portland, only Porltand PD will know about it.
    - There is no requirement to inform LEO.
    - Portland has long been anti open carry resulting in confiscation on the spot. I'm not sure how that is going with the new police chief.

Welcome aboard!

Johhnyghost,
    Can you cite the source for the below text, specifically the bit about posted private property?

With a permit you can carry a pistol or revolver loaded in your car

Public Schools
    Courthouses

Welcome to maine the posted businesses thing as i am told doesnt hold any water in maine they can ask you to leave and thats about it. don't know about ranges in the portland area but ask the local gun shops they will know

There are some outdoor areas, not official ranges, that are okay for shooting.

Outdoor club/ranges that come to mind, Falmouth, Scarborough, Hollis, Dayton (or Arundel?), Augusta, Hampden.

Come to think of it, there may be an indoor range in Augusta "Capitol City R&G"
    ETA: Augusta has a 50' indoor, lead only / no jackets, 1000 FPS max.

First of all, welcome to Maine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyghost View Post
    Public Schools
    Courthouses
    The first bolded statement should read "in an establishment licensed for on-premises consumption of liquor" (they always say "licensed establishment", but rarely mention the liquor part.)

I'm also curious about the "private property" issue - I haven't read that anywhere (obviously trespassing is an issue, but I'm not familiar with any legal ramifications)

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    - Bars/serving restraunts are okay as long as you are concealed and not intoxicated.
    And, as mentioned above, if it's not posted (but I've never seen one that was)

- Portland has long been anti open carry resulting in confiscation on the spot. I'm not sure how that is going with the new police chief.
    Welcome aboard!
    I thought we enacted pre-emption, specifically to go against Portland's anti-OC laws? Don't know, never done it, but still.

As far as ranges, the list on the NRA's website lists several with indoor ranges. Granted, they're all pretty far north, but some of them have to be closer than Woburn.

And as far as the issuing authority, the default issuing authority (in an organized territory) is your town council/selectmen, etc. If they so choose, they can delegate the authority to a full-time Police Chief if there is one, or they can delegate it to the Chief of the MSP, if he/she agrees to it. I imagine in most towns they keep it in the town though. (They do in Sanford)
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Points of interest :
    bars are okay for CC? i didn't think so but please prove me otherwise. if the establishment makes more then 50% of their money from alcohol consumption sales then it's a nogo and is illegal to my knowledge.

i retract my statement, i'm not sure where i got my information from but i think it was an outdated source.

Welcome to Maine.

I don't know of any good gunshops but there is I believe a cabelas opening soon south of portland along I95.

I haven't yet found any indoor ranges but the range I belong to is going to be building one soon. It will be Frangible ammo only however. Membership fee is $30, I think going up to $45 to help with indoor range costs. It is in North Berwick, about 30-45 minutes from Portland. It is small but I like it. Check out their website: North Berwick Rod & Gun Club
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

~Benjamin Franklin

i think places like CDNN are the best to get firearms. everywhere i go, it's always too expensive and usually used stuff costing more then it would new. find a good ffl to transfer to and you're set!

Links