LEOs, guns and mindset, part 2

This is a discussion on LEOs, guns and mindset, part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was chatting with a friend last night who is a local cop. I'll call him "R". For the first time in the three years ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LEOs, guns and mindset, part 2

LEOs, guns and mindset, part 2

I was chatting with a friend last night who is a local cop. I'll call him "R".

For the first time in the three years we've known each other, the conversation rolled around to guns. "R" mentioned that he never carries a gun off duty. He said he'd, "rather be a good witness."

I told him I was a CHL carrier. He asked if I actually carried. I said I did. He asked if I was carrying now. I said, "Yes". "R" was astonished. I'd been standing six feet from him for an hour in his kitchen. My only cover garment was an untucked denim work shirt.

I offered to show him my carry guns. "R's" eyes got big when I cleared my G19 and handed it over. They bugged out when I cleared and handed over my 642 with the CT grips.

By the end of the evening, "R" wanted to know if we could shoot together. His annual qualification is coming up in March and he never shoots on his own.

I'll try to set something up with him soon.

Bill

2. Remove Ads

cool sounds like we might have gained another friend to ccw
    alot of police i meet like the idea of a few armed good men .instead of just bg all the time having the guns

great post

Wow, it always baffles me that a LEO many times really thinks of his profession as really an everyday normal job when it couldn't be farthest from a normal job.

You need to talk some sense into "R" and let him know he really needs to carry while he is off duty. He is more likely to be targeted than being a good witness to someone else. After all, I am sure he has put many behind bars and I'm sure they are all not thankful he did it/had to do it. No way should he let himself or even his family become a victim due to he is unarmed off duty.

His annual qualification is coming up in March and he never shoots on his own.
    And if this means he never trains or goes to the range for practice he is not giving himself the best possible chance to walk away from a gun fight alive, as he is much more likely to be in one then any chl holder. Sounds to me like he should be investing time into some quality training. He should be the one teaching you, not the other way around if you get what I am saying.

Amazing!

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I shouldn't have been surprised when I first learned that all cops aren't gun nuts but I was.

(Shouldn't it be a requirement?)

I knew officers that only handled their guns at the range unless they had to on the job. They saw it as a necessary tool, nothing more.

Those same officers rarely carried off duty.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

"He'd rather be a good witness? And San Antonio, none the less. I know it's not Houston but I believe there is a fair amount of crime in San Antone.
    I've no doubt you will enlighten him.

I'm curious to know how old he is?

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    "He'd rather be a good witness?
    I've no doubt you will enlighten him.

I'm curious to know how old he is?

Nothing wrong with that, time and time again, we talk about how it's not the PD's job to protect us. So why should we expect anything else.

I leave my work at work, why can't a LEO?

I too believed it important to be a good witness.
    I believed firmly I must live long enough to be a good witness.
    In 18 years behind the badge I never had to resort to the defensive sidearm while in uniform and on duty. It was only off duty, in civilian attire, that I ever needed that persuasive friend who can argue loudly and powerfully on my behalf.
    Three times, had I not been carrying a concealed handgun, I would not have lived.
    I breathe air today because I was armed.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Because the BGs they have encountered don't!

I once ran in to 4 guys that I had arrested and guess what... I was unarmed. I really had to bluff my way out of that one!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Nothing wrong with that, time and time again, we talk about how it's not the PD's job to protect us. So why should we expect anything else.

Not sure if you are joking or not, JD but,

I don't want him to protect me (I can do that myself) I want him to protect himself and his family. LEO's can't leave work at work cause them BG's might be out for revenge.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    Not sure if you are joking or not, JD but,

I don't want him to protect me (I can do that myself) I want him to protect himself and his family. LEO's can't leave work at work cause them BG's might be out for revenge.

Ti
    No, I'm dead serious. It's kind of hard to generalize on this, we don't know a thing about this guy, maybe he's a desk jockey, traffic cop, and he just doesn't feel the need to carry, maybe he doesn't have a family to protect.

So if he's one that doesn't encounter bad guys, and has no family, does that make it OK not to carry?

My neighbor is a LEO, runs the range training, and he does not carry away from work. I must say that he is big enough to handle himself with a few BG's...but when I have talked with him, he does agree that he SHOULD CCW, but he just got away from it.
    He does know his weapons though...even the fine details.

Stay armed...even if you're a cop...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think one would be surprised by the number of LEOs that do not carry off duty. I sure wouldn't condemn them for not doing so...

I too shoot with a number of LEOs (not being one)...good fun and opportunity to educate and be educated...cross talk is a good thing.

Rick

Administrator
    Guns are such a small part of the LEO's job, it doesnt suprise me at all that many prefer not to be shooters. They also get tired of being lumped together with all the other shooters just because they happen to carry a pistol 10 hours a day for work. Does a carpenter carry around his tools when he is not working? Some might, but it does get old after a while.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Ron
    I posted this on another thread some months ago, but I will repeat it here because it is directly on point. I was at a local indoor range with an out of town friend visiting with us, who is a retired detective Lt. from the LAPD, and he got to talking with a local LEO who happened to be at the range. In the course of their conversation, we learned that the LEO did not carry off duty. I believe it was a fear of liability. When we both expressed surprise, his response was something like "shame on me."

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links