Chambered, or not, Part 2

This is a discussion on Chambered, or not, Part 2 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Attached is an excerpt from a bulletin I received in one of my firearms classes. It appears that 99.9999999% of the respondents keep a round ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chambered, or not, Part 2

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Chambered, or not, Part 2

Attached is an excerpt from a bulletin I received in one of my firearms classes.

It appears that 99.9999999% of the respondents keep a round in the chamber. Given this bulletin, I would encourage you to not rechamber the same round after you are finished practicing your draws (ya, I am assuming you practice with it unloaded. ) or at the range.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ExactlyMyPoint; December 24th, 2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: clarification

2. Remove Ads

how can Sig tell if you re chamber the round more than once in order to void their warranty???
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Given this bulletin, I would encourage you to not rechamber the same round after you are finished practicing. (Ya, I am assuming you practice with it unloaded. )
    After a range session, I always reload the XD for the trip back home. When I do the cleaning, I drop the mag, clear the chamber, then empty the mags so they can be cleaned, as well. Looking at it like this, I have a 1 in 11 chance of the exact same round getting rechambered.

"I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Re-chambering the same round is NOT an issue, provided you keep up with the overall length of the round in question. If it is any shorter than a round that has not been chambered, don't take the chance - ammo is cheap.

Check this out for more info.
    http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/setback.html

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    ammo is cheap.
    Relatively so. But I am assuming that most people carry with more expensive ammo than what they target shoot with.

If you notice when your round is chambered it gets peeled off the top of the mag, then it is slammed into the feed ramp striking the top of the bullet, next the bullet is slammed to the top of the feed ramp where it starts to meet the barrel. All this sudden slamming winds up compressing the round thereby increasing the bullets charge by compression. Ask any reloader or just purchase a caliper and see what happens after many chambered rounds. Also if you are a reloader you should remember the minimal over all length for the bullets seat. This is for safety reasons. Chambering the round a few times may not affect the AOL, but if the factory did not crimp it right and it is loose, then it could be easier to drive it in. I have only reloaded .45 acp rounds and I do know the crimp is very little. Almost non existent. As a matter of fact the crimp is the diameter of the bullet (.451) plus the thickness of the casing x 2.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Relatively so. But I am assuming that most people carry with more expensive ammo than what they target shoot with.
    Even if you carry the stupidly expensive stuff (Extreme Shock, Glaser, etc.) I'd rather throw away a $3 bullet than risk blowing up my gun and losing my hand.

Hand that won't grow back >>> cost of any bullet

"Rotate pistol ammunition regularly and routinely, especially those rounds subjected to recurring administrative unloading and reloading.

An excellect method of doing this is to start off one's practice or qualification session on the range by shooting all the rounds you've been using as duty or "carry" ammo since one's last range session."

Good advise...

Just remember to bring along some extra carry ammo for the trip home.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Even if you carry the stupidly expensive stuff (Extreme Shock, Glaser, etc.) I'd rather throw away a $3 bullet than risk blowing up my gun and losing my hand.

Hand that won't grow back >>> cost of any bullet
    Don't get me wrong. I agree. I am just asking, say you practice drawing from concealment for 5 or so minutes every day just to keep the muscle memory intact. That can get kind of expensive after a while. One option might be to purchase an airsoft gun of the same model as your EDC.

I just don't want people hurt and this looked like good info to share.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Learn something new everyday.....I'm changing my habits!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have setback issues mostly with .45acp, but .40S&W as well. Most of the time you can see it. Once I notice it I set them aside & don't carry them.

After I get a bunch (20 or so), I use a bullet removing hammer on them. It only takes a couple of taps for the bullet to come back out enough to either shoot (practice), or run thru the Dillon & crimp it again.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Question Same round, but different method.

When I started carrying 2 years ago, I would replace the chambered round in the top of the magazine when unloading. I soon noticed that round was getting more wear and tear than those sitting patiently waiting their turn in the magazine.

When reloading my P94, I place the first round in the chamber, release the slide and add the mag.

My thought process was that this way the chambered round is not repeatedly stripped from the mag and driven into the chamber, only to be removed and repeated the next day.

And the round stays pristine until my next range visit, where it is the first one sent downrange.

Thanks for the tip and copy of the article - I'm amazed that good info is always available here
    Last edited by ethereal; December 24th, 2007 at 03:06 PM. Reason: Transposed model with caliber. oops!
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Exactlymypoint
    Don't get me wrong. I agree. I am just asking, say you practice drawing from concealment for 5 or so minutes every day just to keep the muscle memory intact. That can get kind of expensive after a while. One option might be to purchase an airsoft gun of the same model as your EDC.

I just don't want people hurt and this looked like good info to share.
    Well, here's an example for you. I carry Federal HST in my XD. They come 50 to a box. If I chamber each round 5 times (I am more than comfortable with that) before deciding to fire them off for a fresh box, I still get 250 chamberings. If I were to practice every day, that's about 9 months worth of practice (assuming it is unloaded and then loaded only once during the day.) This assumes, of course, that I didn't just blow off dry-fire practice for today, or unloaded to shoot range ammo, or clean, or whatnot. Let's call it 180 days to be on the safe side. Replacing a $30 box of top shelf defensive ammo every 6 months seems more than reasonable to me.

I don't know about you, but I like to shoot off my carry ammo every few months anyway, so IMHO this is a moot point.

I think what I'm trying to say here, is don't worry too much about it - rotate your rounds and accept the fact that you'll have to shoot them eventually and replace them as "the cost of doing business."

Man this is a good article. You know ive never given this a thought, but i will now.
    What i do is rotate my magazine's once a month & i of course spill all the ammo out on the table & randomly reload the new mag. i would imagine it would take awhile to give me a problem. But then again how often do you target shoot & un-load your defense ammo or just un-load your gun to hand it to someone that wants to look at it damn it !! I guess i do re-load it alot. I guess ill have to re-think what i do & yes it sucks at a dollar a round for Federal Hydra Shok

Definitely interesting reading. I'll remember that from now on. I actually rotate my rounds when I rotate my magazines. That is--bottom round becomes top round which becomes the chambered round. The next time, the next one in line gets the top, and the formerly chambered gets the bottom. I do the rotations at least every thirty days on the mags. I'll also likely shoot the 'carry' mag ammo within six months---long before the chambered round gets a crack at the chamber again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links