Big Cities

Big Cities

This is a discussion on Big Cities within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking today about something. A lot of big cities get a bad wrap on gun ownership. In actuality there are more citites in ...

Thread: Big Cities

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Big Cities

I was thinking today about something. A lot of big cities get a bad wrap on gun ownership. In actuality there are more citites in America that because of the state they are in have to have laxed gun laws. There are only a handful of Cities that are strict on guns i.e. DC, NYC, Chicago, San Fran... but these are all in anti-gun states. Large cities like Houston, Dallas, Philly, Pheonix, Miami, Denver, Indy all have to conform to state laws, and in a lot of cases are anti-gun and more liberal then the infamous anti-gun cities. Philly comes to mind as a city that attempts to enact stricter gun laws, but the state law prevents it from doing so. Can you think of any instances in your states?

Sponsor
    Cleveland, Ohio is trying to throw it's weight around.
    Our latest amendment to the carry laws preempts this but the mayor doesn't seem to care.
    The chief of police has said that his officers will not enforce any illegal laws.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    In Louisville Ky they are trying to ban the sales of guns in certain areas of town. I'm sure that will cut down on the crime in those areas.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    In Louisville Ky they are trying to ban the sales of guns in certain areas of town. I'm sure that will cut down on the crime in those areas.
    I cannot imagine that a court would uphold that in a challenge...how are they trying to go about it--zoning?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I cannot imagine that a court would uphold that in a challenge...how are they trying to go about it--zoning?
    Maybe start putting up fences and setting up permanent roadblocks. People will no longer be able to work or travel outside of there little zone.

Ay, ay, ay. The liberal mindset.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Denver has tried and is still trying to buck the system. The city got slapped by the state for adding or writing stricter laws than the state.

Colorado Revised Statutes
    18-12-201. Legislative declaration.
    Statute text

(1) The general assembly finds that:

(a) There exists a widespread inconsistency among jurisdictions within the state with regard to the issuance of permits to carry concealed handguns and identification of areas of the state where it is lawful to carry concealed handguns;

(b) This inconsistency among jurisdictions creates public uncertainty regarding the areas of the state in which it is lawful to carry concealed handguns;

(c) Inconsistency results in the arbitrary and capricious denial of permits to carry concealed handguns based on the jurisdiction of residence rather than the qualifications for obtaining a permit;

(d) The criteria and procedures for the lawful carrying of concealed handguns historically has been regulated by state statute and should be consistent throughout the state to ensure the consistent implementation of state law; and

(e) It is necessary that the state occupy the field of regulation of the bearing of concealed handguns since the issuance of a concealed handgun permit is based on a person's constitutional right of self-protection and there is a prevailing state interest in ensuring that no citizen is arbitrarily denied a concealed handgun permit and in ensuring that the laws controlling the use of the permit are consistent throughout the state.

(2) Based on the findings specified in subsection (1) of this section, the general assembly hereby concludes that:

(a) The permitting and carrying of concealed handguns is a matter of statewide concern; and

(b) It is necessary to provide statewide uniform standards for issuing permits to carry concealed handguns for self-defense.

(3) In accordance with the findings and conclusions specified in subsections (1) and (2) of this section, the general assembly hereby instructs each sheriff to implement and administer the provisions of this part 2. The general assembly does not delegate to the sheriffs the authority to regulate or restrict the issuance of permits provided for in this part 2 beyond the provisions of this part 2. An action or rule that encumbers the permit process by placing burdens on the applicant beyond those sworn statements and specified documents detailed in this part 2 or that creates restrictions beyond those specified in this part 2 is in conflict with the intent of this part 2 and is prohibited.
    In short, all the the sheriffs have to play by the same rules, but still have the ability to deny based on their gut, and no city, county, or jurisdiction can have additional carry restrictions beyond the states.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    When Missouri first got their ccw laws, our two biggest cities ( Kansa City and St. Louis ) fought the new state law. St. Louis stated that will cause cowboy shootouts and there was not enough money for the prossesing of the permits. At that time I used to shoot the bull with a few LEO's and they felt differently of the new law. They felt it gave them the upper hand. Well now things have calm down and posted businesses, their sign are comeing down. I even seen one sign welcomung ccw ers. Missouri is a good state for ccwing in.

VIP Member
    By Elizabeth Donatelli

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- There's been talk and action about dry districts where alcohol isn't allowed, but now there is a movement for gun-dry districts. Community activists are working to get legislative support that would put restrictions on guns and selling them in high-crime areas of metro Louisville. WAVE 3's Elizabeth Donatelli investigates.

Since August 31st of this year, there have been 48 homicides in Jefferson County. In 33 of those cases, the murder weapon was a gun. The Justice Resource Center says it has a solution: create gun-dry districts.

"The rural parts of the state, people grew-up with guns at sporting events, but when people become the event, the object of the gun violence, then you look at guns in a different way," said Rev. Louis Coleman with the Justice Resource Center.

The question whether an outright ban of guns violates freedoms guaranteed in the Constitution's Bill of Rights.

The second amendment reads: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

University of Louisville Law Professor Russell Weaver says it is open to interpretation of who has the right to bear arms: a militia or an individual. He continues that it was easier to ban guns 10 years ago than it is today because the current interpretation favors the individual, which would make creating gun-dry district harder.

"There have been a couple of recent cases from appellate courts, from U.S. Appellate Courts, which have suggested that there is an individual right to bear arms in the Second Amendment," Weaver said. "It's real unclear what the U.S. Supreme Court is going to do with this."

One case the Supreme Court may chose to review is to uphold a handgun ban in the nation's capitol. If it takes the case, it could lead to the high court's first direct ruling on the Second Amendment since 1939.

Local activists are also considering ways to restrict gun sales in certain high-crime areas such as 12th and Broadway, 18th and Broadway, and areas of Shelbyville instead of an all-out ban.

"It would be a basic move to say: hey, these stores, these pawn shops, these corporations cannot sell guns in this community," said Coleman.

Weaver says such a limited ban on firearms has a better chance of passing, but any legislation drafted by state lawmakers would have to work with federal restrictions already in place.

The Justice Resource Center has already spoken to several state leaders, including Rep. Rom Riner, who says he is sympathetic; however, he says in order to support the legislation there would need to be a condition that this applies only to those with criminal backgrounds.

Rep. Riner has not yet read the proposed legislation, but says he has spoken with Coleman about it.

Community groups in Chicago are pushing similar legislation.

Online Reporter: Elizabeth Donatelli

Online Producer: Michael Dever

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I wouldn't say Phoenix is trying to set the pace for an anti-gun AZ. Sure its a big town, but to call it anti-gun would be a stretch. A good chunk of the city's residents truck North for hunting every season. I've seen open-carry around the city as well. There are certain areas where carry is restricted, but its generally due to the fact that you are on Indian land. The state legislature routinely passes pro-gun measures, including a Castle Doctrine and Stand-Your Ground Laws, but the governor keeps shooting them down for a variety of reasons. I sometimes wish they would just yank her Veto powers.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

The Mayor of Seattle is always trying to find was for more gun control, He joined the Mayor colition from New York, he would like to see the Washington laws changed.

Two words for you....New Orleans.

I rest my case.

I don't understand why anyone would want to prevent an innocent victim from protecting themselves.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Re-zoning gun shops out of Minneapolis happened about two years ago. The number murder capital out side of Chicago in the midwest and they don't want legal guns in people's hands.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    I don't understand why anyone would want to prevent an innocent victim from protecting themselves.
    Its the old saying--"Power corrupts, and Absolute Power corrupts Absolutly" Most anti-gun elected officials see gun ownership as an assault on their ability to be a benevolent benefactor (in their minds).
    We, as gun owners defending ourselves, take away from being dependent on them.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    By Elizabeth Donatelli

LOUISVILLE (WAVE) -- There's been talk and action about dry districts where alcohol isn't allowed, but now there is a movement for gun-dry districts. Community activists are working to get legislative support that would put restrictions on guns and selling them in high-crime areas of metro Louisville.
    That has got to be the stupidest thing I've read in some time. What Louisville needs to do is to create a Rev. Coleman free zone! I'm sure that the Louisville Pravda (aka Courier Journal) we be all for this idiocy.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Links