Sometimes the Learning Process is a Slow, Dangerous One

This is a discussion on Sometimes the Learning Process is a Slow, Dangerous One within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I told you all about my best friend who was interested in getting her concealed carry permit. I told you about her learning how to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes the Learning Process is a Slow, Dangerous One

Senior Moderator

Sometimes the Learning Process is a Slow, Dangerous One

I told you all about my best friend who was interested in getting her concealed carry permit.

I told you about her learning how to shoot and also about her development in mindset.

Her boss allows her to take her gun with her to work because she works as the only office individual in a field business that sends all the workers out leaving her alone most of the day.

She takes the gun with her, legally transporting it to work and then back.

Well, she called me yesterday to tell me that she came home from work about a week ago and walked in the house and saw that a picture had been knocked over.

She didn't think anything of it and rushed into the laundry room to pick up the laundry to take it to the laundry mat because their washing machine is broken.

She had left both her purse and her gun in the car.

When she entered the laundry room she noticed the back door was standing open and then she started to get a little suspicious.

Closer investigation found their television missing, as well as both hers and her husband's laptops, some minor stereo equipment and two cans of sprite.

Amazingly enough the invaders had left all of the presents under their tree as well as three rifles two of which had been propped in the living room corner and one of which was laying on the floor.

The invaders also missed five-hundred dollars in cash that her husband had left on the top of the dresser.

She suspects that the invaders never even entered the bedroom for one reason or another.

The worst part of the story is that they did not (at the time) even have home owner's insurance.

I made the comment of "Well, it's a good thing you didn't come home while they were still in the house. You have no idea what they could have done. And you didn't even have any means of defense."

She bashfully admitted that she immediately thought of her gun when she saw the back door standing open and felt like an idiot that she didn't have it.

Maybe now she'll take the last step and go and get her permit.

They finally got home owner's insurance and are reevaluating how they store their valuables.

I'm just thankful this lesson wasn't a harder one, no matter how difficult it's already been.

2. Remove Ads

That's totally stupid beyond anything. If we come home, and there is anything wrong, we have a plan in place and it doesn't include entering unarmed. Of course, we enter armed if all is okay also.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I don't know why but I seem to like learning things the hard way too! What an expensive lesson.

But two cans of Sprite! Now thems worth fightin' fer!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    If I even thought someone had been in my house I'm calling the cops to let them clear the house. I'll wait outside and take action if necessary but not clearing the house.

Glad they finally got homeowner's insurance and I hope they take the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    If the firearms were left, it was either because she interrupted them or the thieves were kids & on foot.....or one person who had more than he could carry.....

Either way, they know she has other valuables they didn't get & may return at a later date.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    If I even thought someone had been in my house I'm calling the cops to let them clear the house. I'll wait outside and take action if necessary but not clearing the house.

Glad they finally got homeowner's insurance and I hope they take the NRA Personal Protection in the Home class.
    +1 Pit!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Lead Moderator
    At least they learned with no one getting hurt/killed.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Tell your friend to upgrade the locks on her doors and windows. From what you have said it sounds like there is a Burglary crew working her area. How it works is they take only certain Items that are requested, that way they are already sold before stealing them. Usually the thieves will be back once you have time to replace the stolen items. In all likely hood the house has been cased to let the 'Fence' know what else there is to steal so a customer can be found.

She really needs to upgrade security before replacing any items.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    If the firearms were left, it was either because she interrupted them or the thieves were kids & on foot.....or one person who had more than he could carry.....

Either way, they know she has other valuables they didn't get & may return at a later date.
    That is EXACTLY what I told her!

Mostly that she needs to get a better safety system for the valuables.

Talking Helping CCW

Good job Lima, and congrats on the new baby.

-- Richard
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"If I even thought someone had been in my house I'm calling the cops to let them clear the house. I'll wait outside and take action if necessary but not clearing the house."
    Me too! I'm glad that she is finally 'seeing the light'.

Why did they have rifles just laying around in the living room? And why would you leave $500 lying on the dresser!? That's a good bit of change in my book. Hell, I lock up $10. Haha.

Oh and congrats on becoming a mother Limatunes!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Assistant Administrator
    That sure was heck of a wake-up call - phew!

Apart from staying armed she sure also wants to cultivate some ''spidey sense'' ----- thru being more observant, not just at home but everywhere. I seems like at present she is too much con white for her own good.

However .... sorry to hear they lost what they did but glad some other things did not vanish! Security needs improved obviously but most of all IMO - her SA.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

At least your friends got a wake up call without any serious consequences as to why you carry CC. Always.

Congratulations on the baby!

SY

Administrator
    I'll bet them that 500 that they will be back for at least an attempt.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member

They'll be back?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'll bet them that 500 that they will be back for at least an attempt.
    Years ago my sister's house was burgled while everyone slept...good thing no one woke up as it would have become really dangerous fast.

Anyway, they got paid by the insurance company, replaced their stuff, and the next night the same guys returned and stole the stuff a second time.

They only got caught because one of the thief's relatives recognized that they had stuff they shouldn't have, and turned them in. They had priors of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links