More good news for Arky's

This is a discussion on More good news for Arky's within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission voted Thursday to allow hunters with concealed carry licenses to possess concealed handguns in situations when possessing firearms is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More good news for Arky's

Senior Moderator

More good news for Arky's

"The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission voted Thursday to allow hunters with concealed carry licenses to possess concealed handguns in situations when possessing firearms is otherwise prohibited.

Specifically, the new regulation will allow concealed handguns on wildlife management areas and AGFC-owned lakes, said Doyle Shook, chief of the AGFC’s wildlife management division. It also will allow concealed handguns to be carried by licensees during archery deer season, muzzleloader deer season and archery turkey season. Currently, hunters cannot possess centerfire weapons of any kind during those seasons.

Exceptions include situations in which federal, state or local law prohibits possession of a concealed handgun, Shook said. Also, private landowners can prohibit possession of concealed handguns on their property.

“These exceptions give some leeway and privilege to landowners who want to prohibit possession of concealed weapons on their property,” Shook said. “Concealed carry license holders also have to make that [information ] immediately known to a wildlife officer.” If a concealed carry licensee accumulates 18 points for wildlife violations involving a firearm, the AGFC will notify the Arkansas State Police, resulting in the revocation of that person’s concealed carry permit, Shook said. The state police also will deny a concealed carry license to an applicant who has accumulated 18 points for wildlife code violations involving firearms. "

I see this as a good thing generally. Just dont screw up when hunting because the accumulation of points could get your permit.

I'm interested in seeing how the ASP is going to incorporate this onto their website...I expect it will be awhile before that happens.
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 26th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

That does sound like a good deal, and it makes sense.

Senior Moderator
    In reality, the 2 G&F Officers that I deal with occasionaly didnt have a problem with it. As far as I know, they have never cited anyone for carrying concealed while hunting anything.

On the other hand, I wonder how they are going to put out this information to the public. I suppose we'll have to start teaching in the CHL classes.

“Concealed carry license holders also have to make that [information ] immediately known to a wildlife officer.”

So technically, you dont have to disclose to a Police Officer, but you DO to a Game and Fish officer.
    Interesting.
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 26th, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Oklahoma has made it possible to carry a concealed weapon while primitive hunting for quite some time. Recently we've had a very large cougar on our property and I prefer that my daughter keep her handgun in her hand while walking to her stand. Just in case she gets jumped, having it in her hand is the only way she could possibly protect herself. It's a great idea and about time that Arkansas came around to allow this. I've spoken with our game warden and he has seen no abuse from people with CCWs. I had our old bird dog attacked by a cougar a few years ago and it was not a pretty sight. (On Edit) Here in Oklahoma as our Wardens are officers you need to tell them that you have a CCW if you are carrying when they stop you.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I don't think there would be much confusion. I wonder how the ASP gets the word out about changes to current permit holders though? Some of us are able to keep somewhat current on things, while others wouldn't know what a forum was.

Senior Moderator
    I don't think there would be much confusion. I wonder how the ASP gets the word out about changes to current permit holders though? Some of us are able to keep somewhat current on things, while others wouldn't know what a forum was.
    They don't.
    The Instructors occasionally get letters from the ASP advising us of the changes in the current law. Its up to the Instructors to stay current on the law and teach it. The CHL holder doesn't get any such update, that is why we constantly harp on checking the ASP website...even though they are very slow at updating it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

There are still alot of folks out there without internet. I know sometimes that might be hard to accept, but it's real. What is the money used for that's taken in for the permit fees? Record-keeping? IMO--for what they charge, the permit ought to be in the same form as a driver's license. To be honest, an Arkansas state hunting/fishing license is printed on better stock. I've laminated my past two permits in order to make them last the test of time in the wallet.
    (edit)
    I feel the price of bulk rate postage to notify permit holders wouldn't take much of the funds away.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    That is great info for those to my south. Maybe Mo. will take notice and follow suit.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    You lucky dogs in Ark. You got one up on us here in Ky. I bow hunt alot and it urks me that I can't carry while I'm hunting.
    I do bow hunt in Illinois alot and we all know how that goes, but here in Ky, as good as our gun laws are, I'm dissapointed I can't carry while hunting. Congrats to you.

I think you need to "re-check" your web-site address. I cannot pull it up. First I think there are too many http:// in the address. But, I went one step further and plugged in Arkansas Fish & Game website, and asked for rule changes, and got zip. Can you re-verify your source of infomation.
    I'd appreciate it, as well as other Arkie residents. Thanks

Senior Moderator
    It was posted by the NorthWest Arkansas website, apparently they updated their link.
    It was just voted in last Thursday and with everyone being off for the holidays, I doubt that it'll be updated on anywebsites till after the first of the year.

try this...
    http://www.nwanews.com/adg/Sports/211302/

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Heres another link from the Arkansas Concealed Carry Assoc. that has the same info.
    http://www.arkansascca.org/blog/

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

This is some great news for us here in AR! Thanks for the heads up, HotGuns.

Sounds good to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I don't hunt (if I can't put it in my pocket, I don't want it) but I do sometimes hike the wilderness and cross wildlife mgt areas on occassion..does that mean if a F&G officer stops me to see how things are going, I am to announce, without him/her asking, that I am armed? I really don't mind doing it that way, IF thats the law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links