Trespass and Inspectors...the Saga

This is a discussion on Trespass and Inspectors...the Saga within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another thread got me to thinking so I started this one lest I veer off course/topic in the other one(as I have a tendency to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trespass and Inspectors...the Saga

Trespass and Inspectors...the Saga

Another thread got me to thinking so I started this one lest I veer off course/topic in the other one(as I have a tendency to do).

I remember a brief incident while at my parents house sometime around early fall season. I had noticed a woman walking around the perimeter of the home and appeared to be peering in via the windows, walking around the deck and appeared to be inspecting various things.

I didn't recognize this person. I grabbed my father and told him what was going on and we headed outside. I got her attention rather loudly and demandingly asked her basically "WTH?". At that time my thumb had already cleared my shirt from the grip of my 1911 and my hand was resting on it at the 4 oclock position with that part of my body angled away from her.

My father took charge and in the course of the conversation discovered that she was an "Inspector" with the FFX Co taxing authority and they were going through and checking all the homes on the block to see if they needed to "up" their valuation so they could tax people more the next year.

After making it quite clear that she was uninvited and her little ID badge effectively meant diddly as far as we were concerned with private property, she decided to move on. Once she left, we went back inside. While inside I got that "feeling" so I went to the front of the house and looked out the window...sure enough there that dummy was "inspecting" the neighbors house. I knew they weren't home. So back outside we go again. This time making it quite clear that TRESPASSING on private property wasn't exactly the brightest idea and that we all take care of our own around here. She moved on again grumbling all the way.

Now, that whole super-winded story aside...what are your thoughts? It just seems to me that someone at some point should be educating various localities "authorities" that trespassing on private property isn't exactly the brightest idea and had they surprised me in the process they may well have been shot. As it was, the inspector person was lucky as I picked up on them before any "surprisings" could happen.
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Coreceted language workaround.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Acting within their authority, public officials are not trespassing. I dont like it, its clear you dont like it, but it is what it is. I would have been in a world of trouble had things gone further.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Here in my county in Florida ( Manatee )they ring your bell and tell you they're there inspecting.
    At least you know they're there.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    I agree with Sixto. In our area when you sign up for utilities; gas, water, electricity ect... You have given your consent for them to inspect their meters, valves or whatever. As far as assessing property here most of the folks will ask for permission but they don't have to. The burden is on us not to come across as gun toting fanatics. Like it or not it is reality.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If its in the official capacity of their job, its no more trespass than an LE perusing a fleeing suspect. They cannot enter the house or outbuildings, but may be on the property , look throe windows ect.. if it is pursuant to the job at hand .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I understand they may have the authority to do so whether I agree with it or not, however I think it does pose a problem randomly showing up on someone's property and going through things unannounced. Pretty damn foolish if you ask me.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I don’t know but just some little “inspector” badge sounds a bit suspicious to me especially it she is creeping and peering into windows. Here in North Carolina residents are advised if tax inspectors are reassessing property and they only look for new additions or new buildings. I think after confronting her I would have called LEO’s just to make sure she really was employed by a legitimate tax agency, after she may have been looking for places for an accomplice to break into.

VIP Member
    Legal or not, I don't think it's very smart to do so without informing the residents you are going to be walking around the property. I know who the meter reader is, they wear a uniform and go straight to the meter and leave. I'm going to be weary of someone "snooping around", male or female.
    I bid jobs when people aren't home. I have to walk around the house. I have a well marked truck and wear a company shirt. I always ring the doorbell to see if they are home first. It's just common sense.

would someone just shoot an unarmed person just for trespassing ?

Tho not smart on the inspectors part, I dont think officials expect responsible homeowners to shoot unarmed "trespassers" in the middle of the day

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I would of taken her name, supervisor's name and called, via cell phone, her office to confirm:

1) That she is who she is...

2) Discuss with the Supervisor the property inspection policy

Rick

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I understand they may have the authority to do so whether I agree with it or not, however I think it does pose a problem randomly showing up on someone's property and going through things unannounced. Pretty damn foolish if you ask me.
    Well the feds dont seem to be able to hire genius , so why would your local ??LOL

For the record tho i took something from this thread that is different than some did ... I never thought the op in any way was ready to " shoot them revenooers " so to speak . The op questioned a .gov minions ability to legally " trespass " and was answered . Other than a " go away lady " type statement no threats or displays were offered to the nice tax collector . While i am sure she feels " threatened " on that block the fall back position is to charge the same taxes as last year when there is no inspection . The OP was aware ( maby or maby not over enthusiastic ) , but aware of what is going on in his neighborhood . The little gal/or boy from .gov can dammed well announce out of politeness if nothing else .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

In our town, we get a letter a couple weeks in advance letting us know our neighborhood is due for inspection. Doesn't seem seem like that hard of a task to drop a postcard in the mail at least giving people a heads up that some creep is going to be violating your privacy.
    Little OT, but a couple years back when they were doing census, one of the census takers pounded on our door at 6 am. Said his superviser told him to because he couldn't catch us during the day. I just remember they had a huge public service campaign asking people to cooperate with the census and then they pull Gestapo crap like that.

Guess who's assessment is going wayyyyyyy up.

VIP Member
    If she had only come to your door and introduced herself first, I imagine things just might have gone a lot better for her!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    When I lived in a county a bit west of Fairfax they would send a letter giving approximate dates that inspectors would be in the area. Being a bit more rural than much of Fairfax this was probably very prudent. I'm sure some folks would come out with shotguns and rifles to confront the "revenuers".
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links