Things that go bump....

Things that go bump....

This is a discussion on Things that go bump.... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm relatively new to firearms. I just got into guns over the past half year. Thanks to several good local friends, I've tried a bunch ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things that go bump....

Things that go bump....

I'm relatively new to firearms. I just got into guns over the past half year. Thanks to several good local friends, I've tried a bunch of different pistols and revolvers. I bought my first gun in November for target practice - a Ruger New Model Single Six stainless with a 6 1/2" barrel. Hardly the most practical house gun, but that's not what it was intended for. But I do keep the magnum cylinder loaded with CCI Maxi Mag HP's, just in case. Well, last night was a "just in case" situation...

My wife and I were eating dinner around 6:00 when we heard a loud slam on the front door. It sounded like someone, or something very large, hit the door. After that happened, I heard the storm door close, which made me conclude that at least the storm door was opened before whatever it was hit the inside door.

I took a 7 hour defensive handgun training class only 3 weeks ago, partly as a requirement to join a local range. When I heard the slam on the door, instinctively I went to grab my gun. All the training I received came back to me instantly, how to hold, how to cover, what to think about, etc. I looked outside through the windows to see if there was anything or anyone there, but didn't see anything. At that point, with my gun in hand, I opened the door to look around. I saw absolutely nothing.

I called the cops to let them know about some suspicious activity, and they said they will be patrolling around the area a little more tonight. We have a good neighborhood association with a crime watch program, and the police have nabbed several teenagers for some break-ins over the past few months. We also have an issue with wild dogs roaming our neighborhood. My neighbor had to shoot one last month.

I don't know what it was that slammed my door last night, but I'm glad that 1. I had a gun, and 2. I had the training to know how to handle it if I needed to use it.

The class I took qualifies for Florida CWP, which I intend to get after the holidays are over. Then I'll look for a more appropriate defensive gun.

Welcome

Welcome. You have an excellent home defense gun and a plan. You're off to a good start.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    You just discovered one of the first "laws of gun handling".

The best gun for self defense is the one you have with you.

'Glad nothing more came of the noise. You might consider taking a low light defensive shooting course to supplement your other class.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

well sounds like the next thing you need is a good home defense gun.
    glad to hear you acted properly and it all turned out ok

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    well sounds like the next thing you need is a good home defense gun.
    glad to hear you acted properly and it all turned out ok

I've been thinking about a GP100 for the house and a .380 auto of some sort for carry. I'll probably get a carry gun next, since it can serve two purposes. First is to get the CWP taken care of. (Christmas left me a little low on $$)

First, welcome and second get that permit. just skip
    a few dinners out and some movies, you will be surprised
    how fast the bucks add up.
    Good going on the response and the training.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Good job protecting against a home invasion scenario.

Welcome to the forum and ask a ton of questions.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I want you to consider what would have happened if there would have been someone trying to come through the door. You hear the bang, but the door flies open. Now, there are three armed men streaming through the door, and they level the barrel of their guns at you and your wife.

Would you have had time to go get your gun? No, you would not. You would be subject to the mercy of home invaders. That's why so many of us carry when we're at home. Running into another room to retrieve your defensive gun isn't an option.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I want you to consider what would have happened if there would have been someone trying to come through the door. You hear the bang, but the door flies open. Now, there are three armed men streaming through the door, and they level the barrel of their guns at you and your wife.

Would you have had time to go get your gun? No, you would not. You would be subject to the mercy of home invaders. That's why so many of us carry when we're at home. Running into another room to retrieve your defensive gun isn't an option.

I actually thought about that last night, and the fact that I had to go get my gun first. If I had a carry gun most likely at that point it would be on me, because I didn't even change out of my work clothes when I came home. I just started cooking dinner w/ my wife.

I've been considering a Walther PPK/S or a Bersa Thunder, or a Sig P232 for a carry piece. The PPK/S felt better in my hands than the Bersa. Haven't had a chance to handle the P232 yet, but we'll see. Also I'm considering the SP101, but even in the 2 1/4" it's still a bit bulky. I know enough about my preferences to know that I don't like polymer guns. I'm kinda partial to stainless steel.

I had a similar incident with my front door about a week ago but I figured out what happened later. The wife and I were sitting in the living room when I heard something bang the storm door. I pulled my pistol out of my pocket (I carry a .357 stubbie around the house when at home) and went and turned on the front porch light. I then saw through a dining room window(never stand at the front door) that the storm door was ajar. After about a minute I opened the door, while the wife covered me, and looked out to see a package that the mailman had left in the door early in the day. What happened was the package was holding the door ajar enough for the wind to catch it and blow it all the way open and then close on the package again. Just goes to show that sometimes it's nothing- but you ALWAYS treat it as something till you find out otherwise.

Isn't the Single Six a 22 cal?
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The Single Six has an interchangeable 22LR/22WMR cyllinder.

VIP Member
    Welcome aboard! Glad the "bump" turned out to be nothing.

So, did it make you start thinking about getting something with a little more poop?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    So, did it make you start thinking about getting something with a little more poop?
    I was thinking that same thing. A GP100 (loaded with .357 Mag) sounds just fine, but a .380? Not so sure about that.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I was thinking that same thing. A GP100 (loaded with .357 Mag) sounds just fine, but a .380? Not so sure about that.
    If I got a GP100 as a house gun, it'd be loaded with 38+P ammmo. .357 Mag cartridges, shot inside a house, would probably 1. destroy my hearing and 2. blind me if it were dark.

I was thinking of a .380 for a carry gun primarily because of the size. I know Kel Tec and others make really small 9mm pieces, but I really don't like polymer frames, and every Kel Tec I've held felt like a toy. I've shot a CZ-75 Compact in 9mm that I really liked, but that's as large as I'd want to go for a carry gun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links