What To Do When a Stranger Drops His Gun In Public

This is a discussion on What To Do When a Stranger Drops His Gun In Public within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Whoo-ee. Silly things happen in stacks, ever noticed that? I was grocery shopping early this morning, and I witnessed the worst goof ever. Yeah. In ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What To Do When a Stranger Drops His Gun In Public

What To Do When a Stranger Drops His Gun In Public

Whoo-ee. Silly things happen in stacks, ever noticed that?

I was grocery shopping early this morning, and I witnessed the worst goof ever. Yeah. In line.

There's a short line at every register, and so I cue up fourth behind a short fellow sporting a high & tight haircut and tacpants that looked like LE or a Paramedic, two girls who are together, and a tall guy in a hoodie and jeans (who looks a little sloppy, but otherwise seems normal). Cut to the chase, in fishing for his wallet, the tall guy at the front drops his snubbie .38 on the ground in what looks to be a very old holster. He shovels it into his hoodie front pocket with a quick bend at the waist and looks around sheepishly.

At that point, the guy in front of me clears his longsleeve t-shirt from his CW, steps forward and identifies himself as 'a citizen with a license to carry a concealed gun', and asks that the fellow produce a similar piece of identification to carry the weapon he just dropped. AT NO TIME DID HE DRAW HIS WEAPON, but it was as accessible as any of us would prefer it to be in a potential shooting situation.

Wanna' know something weird? I remember looking down at his holstered, ready weapon that was angled toward me on his 4. It was sort of slow motion, as my eyes caught the unmistakable grip of a Glock (I'm not a Glock guy, so I don't know what model...sorry). It occurs to me now how much of a gun geek I can be...I was more curious than I should have been, to learn what he was carrying.

OK, so the good thing is that our bumbling carryer immediately produced his wallet and permit to carry (and also offered profuse apologies). It was a tense moment when I thought the guy who challenged him was going to flip out and cuss his axx , but instead, he calmed down right away and offered an apology of his own.

He did mention that it was probably a pretty dumb mistake to be carrying your gun in a holster that didn't do what it needed to (keep it where it is supposed to, right?). He also mentioned something that I really thought about last night.

He said, "I asked you for your permit because people who aren't following the rules for carrying threaten my rights to carry, and I can't have that."

The checker nervously finished the transaction ahead of us and saw the gun dropper through, too. No manager was ever called over, but as I stood there, I couldn't help asking the guy what he would have done if the guy refused to produce his license.

Attempt to detain? As non LE? You're talking about some serious legal stuff if you're wrong, and if you're right...well...hope that you don't have to kill someone in the grocery checkout lane is all I'm saying. Wow.

Did I oogly the moogly (with a tip o' the cap to our kind moderators ) by not reacting the way the guy ahead of me did?
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

No one's business except L.E. Probally a good way to get killed.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

As much as I am a mild mannered person I would have politely informed him that it was really not his concern. I have no duty to produce my LTCF or ID for another LTCF holder. Your own liscense gives you no special privledge to question me about mine.

At that point, the guy in front of me clears his longsleeve t-shirt from his CW, steps forward and identifies himself as 'a citizen with a license to carry a concealed gun', and asks that the fellow produce a similar piece of identification to carry the weapon he just dropped. AT NO TIME DID HE DRAW HIS WEAPON, but it was as accessible as any of us would prefer it to be in a potential shooting situation.
    That guy was wrong. There was no threat. He had no right to ask to see a CHL just as Montanya pointed out.

Two fools met. A fool to bumble around and drop his gun. As big a fool to challenge him.

I agrre with the above...I would have backed up and kept my mouth shut.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    The phrase "fly on the wall" comes to mind. Just watch and let it play out. If anything, casually say something like "You should probably fire whoever made your holster," with a sly nod. Either stay out of it, or diffuse it.

Same here. I'd have told the guy it was none of his #### business unless he was LEO, and if so, produce some I.D. to prove it.

I couldn't care less for his reasons for being concerned.

Someone clearing their shirt from their weapon seems to me to be a provocation and an escalation. Maybe Rambo boy/LEO wannabe needs to calm down some. No one is obligated to show him their CCW license.

If the guy that drops the gun isn't threatening anyone, I would limit my response to, "Time for a new holster, eh?"

If the guy threatens people, bang.

Getting badge heavy with a CCW permit (and no badge) is just lame.

Edited to add: Maybe the guy that challenged him needs to get a CCW badge.

+1 on the "grocery line ninja", Good way to get killed. If gundropper is a BG you have just challenged him to a Gunfight in very Close Quarters. If he is LE you have opened a big can of worms.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

BOTH parties are a liability to my rights guaranteed by the 2A!!!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

...or ask him what his name is on DefensiveCarry.org....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    ...or ask him what his name is on DefensiveCarry.org....
    THAT is what I was thinking!!!! Still, as others have stated, a bit of stupid Ramboesque theater on his part could have gotten him killed. Thanks all. I feel like I did the right thing by keeping my pie-hole shut.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

I would've told the guy if he wanted to see my permit he'd have to produce LEO credentials, or otherwise go pound sand. At that point he's free to do one of two things - call police, or step back in line where he was.

The fact that he uncovered his own weapon before walking up makes me want to laugh. What if someone didn't see the guy drop a gun, but saw this idiot uncover his gun and move up the line? Good way to get drawn down on by a police officer, or someone else carrying.

Agreed with others, a nice way for Mr.Ninja to get himself hemmed up and killed right there on the spot.
    He ain't a cop so don't play like one.

As to the hoodie guy who dropped his piece, yeah he needs to invest in a quality holster and get his act together.

- Janq would have left dude alone but kept an eagle eye on his hands
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links