Weapon shown in public?

This is a discussion on Weapon shown in public? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have you ever had your weapon print, show part of the grip (like if you had to reach up really high or something), or have ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weapon shown in public?

Weapon shown in public?

Have you ever had your weapon print, show part of the grip (like if you had to reach up really high or something), or have the weapon fall out in public before? Any consequences? Anybody see it and freak out?

also...what about if you are in your car and are putting your gun into locking case before you go into a certain store? What is somebody notices you with a gun in your hand? even though you need to be very secret about it.

2. Remove Ads

We're lucky here in Arizona. Open carry is legal, and if you're legal CCW shows, it falls under open carry.

Not truly in public, but I was at someones' home trying to fix this guys air conditioner and printed enough that he asked me if I had a gun in his home. He kinda freaked about my bringing a gun into his home. I basically told him that I could tell he'd rather have someone else take care of his problem, then left for nicely air conditioned home while he waited god knows how long for another company in that heat wave.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    We're lucky here in Arizona. Open carry is legal, and if you're legal CCW shows, it falls under open carry.

open carry in oregon is legal also..but i'm not sure if it falls under the open carry law...although, it should.

Theres no clear law allowing or banning OC in Massachusetts
    so if I see someones weapon showing, and its in a holster, but she or he is in plain clothes
    we tend to ignore them and assume they are LEO, or liquor store owners,
    especially in Boston, 'cause private citizen of Boston aren't really allowed a License to possess a firearm

I see weapons accidentally exposed all the time in Boston, I just keep on moving.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Same here in Tennessee. In fact, I do open carry a lot in the summer time. The TN permit is not a CCW permit in fact. It is a Handgun Carry Permit. No legal requirement to conceal what-so-ever.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

In FL it COULD be a problem...just have to be real careful. If I'm taking it off for car storage (not very often)...I'm looking around a lot...just like looking for trouble in a parking lot...no one is going to see me...I will notice any eyes looking in my direction.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by porsche4786 View Post
    Have you ever had your weapon print, show part of the grip (like if you had to reach up really high or something), or have the weapon fall out in public before? Any consequences? Anybody see it and freak out?

Never done any of those things.

Once, at an audition with my daughter.....was leaning over to pick up my then 3yo. son .....was concealing under an unbuttoned denim shirt and an older lady standing in front of me 'saw it". Now Georgia is an open carry state and I was obeying all laws.....but the look on her face and the tightning of her grip around her granddaughter gave away her feelings. I picked up my son and then turned to face her....smiled and extened my other hand. Bless her heart, she lightened up, smiled back, talked with me a few, and left it at that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    In 4 years, not once that I know of. I never seen anyone else's either other then police with a badge next to their gun. If I'm working and think what I'm doing may expose it, I leave it in the truck. Not worth loosing my job. I try to select my clothes and holster carefully.

I knew a deputy in Louisiana who walked in Wal Mart and didn't realize his shirt had pulled up and exposed his gun. Someone called 911 and other deputies showed up.

VIP Member
    If I lock my gun up in my vehicle, I do it in a place where I can not be observed... even if that means doing it prior to parking.

Never had any of the other situations occur.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I keep a nice medium sized towel in the car. It is easy to cover the area where your holster is, remove the gun, keep it hidden by the towel, and put it away.

Since where I live there is no anti-printing law, but there is a law against intentional display, the use of a towel to cover what I am doing would --even if someone happened to notice-- work in my favor as it would be clear that there was no intent for anyone to see the gun, and an effort was made to hide it.

I'm mostly just afraid that I might reach up for something and that might pull my sweatshirt or other shirt up enough to uncover part of the gun.

My son "unconcealed" it for me.

I've had a few times where I know I printed or completely exposed my holster and/or weapon but for the most part, I try hard to keep anyone from noticing. It is very difficult to go all day without once moving in such a way to print, etc. For example, needing to get something off a top shelf in a store. So I just make sure that when I do move in such a way that makes it more likely I'll print I just turn my strong side away from anyone that might notice.

However, I had one time that was completely unexpected. It was very recently, we were at a local Sam's Club and it was pretty busy. My 8 year old son came up behind me and pulled my cover shirt up so he could put his head in and hide. He had never done this before so I wasn't ready for it. I carry right around 3:00 so anyone in front, behind, or on my right side could have seen it. He got his head in but didn't get the shirt down far enough to cover the gun or holster. I quickly pulled his head out and picked him up so I could whisper to him not to do that again. He had of course noticed (this was when he found out Daddy carries a gun). As you can imagine, I was... well there were so many emotions going on at the same time. I tried my best not to let it show but I was irritated, shocked, scared, etc.

I, as casually as I could, glanced around while I still held him to see if anyone was staring. Amazingly enough, nobody was staring at me. I don't think anyone else noticed anything. They may have dismissed it as a cell phone or been distracted by my quick pickup move for it to register. For the most part, most people don't expect to see a gun during their day so their brain can't categorize it quick enough with just a quick glance so it never registers what they just saw, especially when it is just the grip and top of an IWB holster. They blend together and become one odd looking something.

After that I had a talk with my kids about daddy carrying a gun and this is one of those things we don't talk about, like our underwear. We don't go telling everybody about our underwear, do we? We don't lift up people shirts and show their underwear, it's the same with daddy's gun. Seems to work. It hasn't happened since.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    A year or so ago, I was going in to Bass Pro Shops. As I passed one of their guards, he said to me "Sir, do you have a concealed weapons permit?" I said yes, why did he ask. It turned out that when I got out of my car, my vest rode up, and came down behind the holster, exposing my gun. I quickly pulled it down, and then pulled out my CCW permit to show the guard. He was very polite, and even apologized for stopping me. I told him that I appreciated him letting me know, so that I could prevent the problem from occurring again. Now, I do the "Pickard Maneuver", and pull down my cover garment whenever I get out of a car, or stand after sitting.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links