Ohio CCW and posted signs

This is a discussion on Ohio CCW and posted signs within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone remind me, are "No Gun Signs" in OH supposed to be conspicuously posted? Walked into a mall the other day, in a very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ohio CCW and posted signs

Can someone remind me, are "No Gun Signs" in OH supposed to be conspicuously posted? Walked into a mall the other day, in a very gun friendly part of OH, plenty of No Smoking signs. That was it. On the way back out I looked over the posted rules, which was inside the mall a good 20-30 feet from the entrance, which had a "No weapons, including CCW" type policy. Does this just seem like a cop out on managements part to any one else?
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

At my mall in Northern VA, the "no this . . . no that" signs are posted at every main entrance. However, going in a satelite store (sears, hect's, j.c. penney's), the signs are absent. When I go to the mall (which only happens about once or twice every quarter) that is my preferred method of infiltration
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

If the signs aren't legal, neither is the store. Don't worry about it unless they ask you to leave.

It seemed to be their best solution to appease all. OH doesn't have any 30.06 signage law like Texas though, that is the issue.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

Administrator
    Yes, the sign have to be posted in obvious places... such as the front door. They way Ohio law is written, you have the responsibility as a permit holder to look for the signs. In other words, both parties are supposed to be reasonable about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I kinda knew that. But it seems odd that the only way to know would be to go inside, read the rules and by that point you are breaking their rules.

Ron Paul 2008!

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by politicalgeek View Post
    I kinda knew that. But it seems odd that the only way to know would be to go inside, read the rules and by that point you are breaking their rules.
    Yeah, I know, its pretty dumb.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sponsor
    The wording on the posting bit in Ohio is flaky at best. There is no specific sign that is required. There is no specific site for the posting required. However, if you are not aware of the posting, you are not violating any law. The instant you become aware of an area being posted you are required to leave or disarm. if you do not you are in violation. I believe it is a misdemeanor. I do not know off hand if it is a deniable crime. (loss of CCW?)

I check at the door for signs. If it is not posted there I don't waste any time looking elsewhere. IMHO I have made a reasonable effort to comply.

I'm not a lawyer
    Last edited by luvmy40; December 28th, 2007 at 10:42 PM. Reason: Spelling
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The sign must be in a conspicuous place, where you can readily see it. It's a misdameaner trespass charge.

My guestion: why did you "seek out" the rules? If you didn't see it at the doors, certainly don't go looking for it. Don't go to the managers office and ask!! I'm just happy you didn't disclose which mall this was, because once you "knowingly" are aware that it is posted, it is off limits.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

No, I checked on the sign on the way out just to see. Very small print, something you had to stop and look at. Like I said, it seemed to be a way to appease all. Gun owners will still shop and those against will be happy there is a rule.

Ron Paul 2008!

Just for drill, I looked up the the Ohio law; 2923.123 of the Ohio Revised Code; (the bolding is mine):

"(3) The owner or person in control of private land or premises, and a private person or entity leasing land or premises owned by the state, the United States, or a political subdivision of the state or the United States, may post a sign in a conspicuous location on that land or on those premises prohibiting persons from carrying firearms or concealed firearms on or onto that land or those premises. A person who knowingly violates a posted prohibition of that nature is guilty of criminal trespass in violation of division (A)(4) of section 2911.21 of the Revised Code and is guilty of a misdemeanor of the fourth degree."

Any sign will do - there are no requirements. You do not have to be asked and then refuse to leave - being on the premises, while armed, is breaking the law.

The only thing you can "hang your hat on" is that the sign wasn't conspicuous or you didn't see it - so you did not knowingly violate.

Just curious, what can they do to you if they catch you carrying in a "Posted" store in Ohio? In Florida all they can do is ask you to leave.

Of course if I'm caught carrying, Shame on Me!!!!
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Realleycat View Post
    Just curious, what can they do to you if they catch you carrying in a "Posted" store in Ohio? In Florida all they can do is ask you to leave.

Of course if I'm caught carrying, Shame on Me!!!!
    Worst case, they can have you arrested on the spot and you'll be charged with a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

I haven't heard of it happening - and I would think the anti's or local media would make a big deal out of it. I suspect that means that as a group, we obey the law. It may also mean that we all conceal very well, or that those not in the know, don't have a clue someone standing right next to them might be armed.

As a law abiding citizen, I don't knowingly go anywhere that's posted while armed. I wouldn't give them my money anyway. Home Depot is posted, so I go Lowes for hardware/home repair stuff, etc.

I've always been able to find what I want from retailers who don't prohibit us from protecting ourselves, while in their establishment. That's where I spend my money.

What? People actually pay attention to those signs?
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington

...we are NOT a free people.

Question Why

Why would anyone even want to go into a place that is posted? If it is posted, then they don't get me or my money -I shop elsewhere and then let the posted places owner + management know how much $$$ they missed out on!

You would be surprised at what one person can do - (see my post from Dec.'06 for an example !!)

Be Safe... Be Happy !!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links