Bumping into people

This is a discussion on Bumping into people within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry at around the 3:30 position. I've noticed when I'm around people rather it be the mall, Walmart, walking down the sidewalk, someones home, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bumping into people

VIP Member

Bumping into people

I carry at around the 3:30 position. I've noticed when I'm around people rather it be the mall, Walmart, walking down the sidewalk, someones home, anywhere I'm around people, I keep my arm over my gun. It gives someone something to bump into rather than my gun. It's kept me from being discovered many times.
    I've also dreaded "hugs" anymore. If I'm waiting in line to be hugged, I take notice how the person hugs, so when they get to me, I'm prepared to hug in a way they don't feel my gun.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I've also dreaded "hugs" anymore. If I'm waiting in line to be hugged, I take notice how the person hugs, so when they get to me, I'm prepared to hug in a way they don't feel my gun.
    Ahhh, the dreaded hug.....

Trick for me is to make the first move. I go low, just above their waist, and get my arms inside of theirs. That forces them up higher towards my shoulder blade area. Still makes for an uneasy time though!

VIP Member
    Sometimes no matter what you do you still get busted!

Walking out of a restaurant last week, the owner approached on my left side. My weapon is on my right IWB.

I complemented her on the outstanding fare and she almost dove toward me throwing her arm around my waist... you guessed it, her hand plopped right on my 1911!

I just hugged her back and acted like nothing was out of the normal.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

[QUOTE=Thumper;574898]

I complemented her on the outstanding fare and she almost dove toward me throwing her arm around my waist... you guessed it, her hand plopped right on my 1911!

QUOTE]

Now there's one way to ensure great service the next time you're there!

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    One thing I have noticed before with others who carry is that sometimes they have a tendency to put their hand in the pocket in an effort to protect their sidearm. IMO this creates a two fold problem:

1. Having your hands in your pockets is almos likened to getting caught with your pants down.

2. You inadvertantly pull your cover garment forward and then are printing from behind.

I made a guy the other day because he had his right hand in his pants pocket.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Exactly why I carry at 1-1:30...these scenarios become a non-issue.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I like hugs.
    And I really don't care if someone finds out I have a gun.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Non-gun people don't think the same way we do. With all the modern electronics on belts, I doubt if the issue even crossed their minds. Those of us who carry will know immediately, and unless there is a threat, won't mind a bit.

I used to think that this was a much bigger thing than it has ever turned out to be. Like all of us I must, from time to time, face up to my share of "huggers" and with all the other stuff that is carried on belts these days (e.g. phones, PDA's, fanny packs, tons of electronic "stuff") the thought of being instantaneously made fades into relative significance. If someone touches my carry piece I just don't react one way or another and go on with life. So far, no problems
    GOOD SHOOTING
    ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR VISION AND HEARING
    De gustibus non est disputandem

I avoid those scenarios. Or maybe they avoid me? I have this invisible force field around me at all times. Any infringements in the outer perimeter are detected immediately, and no matter the circumstances or environment, actions are automatically taken. If I see a fast approaching bogey on the screen, more than likely offensive actions will be taken in order to warn or thwart the impending space violation. Nobody 'bumps' into me--nobody gets that close. Maybe it's my aura? It just don't happen, and it won't. Hugs? Even friends and family know I'm not too receptive to these actions. They respect that I guess.

Oh good grief.

I like hugs from the ladies and I won't go out of my way to avoid them.

In fact... If the hug-ee were to slightly "goose" the hug-er during the hugging process it might lead to something very interesting.

Who cares if some sweet thing feels my weapon when hugging me? I'm merely excercising my right to carry and I've got nothing to hide.

I don't have a problem with it. The hug thing is easy as said, you control the way that happens and I never have a probelm, plus I don't care as anyone I am hugging is close enough that it doesn't matter and as to with anyone in stores, I played basketball and was taught to keep my elbows out for defense!

Really tho, my girlfriends sister, a friend of mine was laying on my side on top of my gun (owb in an alessi cqc) at Christmas on the couch and never said a word or acted as if it was a bother. It's either she didn't know it was there, didn't care (as she knows I carry) or just plan didn't even think about it or put two and two together.

Most people don't out two and two together. Very, very few people, almost none will pick up on what they bumped into on your side as most are clueless to the carry thing.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

VIP Member
    I've gotten to the point where I don't worry about it any more. Being from the South were most people seem to be huggers I get hugged frequently. Working at a woman's college and solving research problems means I get hugged more frequently than most men in the South. People see me use my cell phone (in a case on the belt), my knife (in right front pocket), and my flash light (on belt) all of which are around the waist and hip area. If some one bumps into a mag on the belt, a pistol on the belt, or a pistol in a pocket they think nothing about it. Even if they do wonder what it is, if you act like nothing happened they will forget it in a few seconds. If you suddenly react to the touch then the toucher will begin to wonder.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snakatack View Post
    Oh good grief.

I like hugs from the ladies and I won't go out of my way to avoid them.

In fact... If the hug-ee were to slightly "goose" the hug-er during the hugging process it might lead to something very interesting.

Who cares if some sweet thing feels my weapon when hugging me? I'm merely excercising my right to carry and I've got nothing to hide.
    I DO care that people know I carry, so I don't want to bump into people in a way that they feel my gun, especially people I know that don't know I carry. At a funeral or church would be a good example. I tend to keep my arm at my side to cover my gun incase someone bumps into me. Some that carry don't care others know and somehow feels it has no affect on the way people percieve them. I just know that there are alot of anti's out there and I dont want the word spread around, I carry.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    I like hugs.
    And I really don't care if someone finds out I have a gun.

AFS

Most folks don't hug me around the waist so it is rare for them to discover my gun. Also even on the rare chance that they do feel it I doubt that they actually know what it is they are feeling. I have never had anyone even hesitate upon feeling my gun.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links