Is carrying uncomfortable for you?

This is a discussion on Is carrying uncomfortable for you? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just started carrying everywhere I go. I am using an IWB Kydex holster about 5 o'clock with a Glock 27. I weighed the gun ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is carrying uncomfortable for you?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Is carrying uncomfortable for you?

I just started carrying everywhere I go. I am using an IWB Kydex holster about 5 o'clock with a Glock 27. I weighed the gun and it is less than two pounds. It is uncomfortable to say the least. I bought pants that are two inches larger than I normally wear and what seems to be happening is even though I tighten the belt to where it is very snug, my pants still start to sag, the holster presses against a bone and the whole set up is literally a pain.

Is it just a matter of
    a) getting used to it
    b) finding a better holster, perhaps leather (although I have read many a comment about Kydex holsters being very comfortable)
    c) tweaking the current configuration
    d) repositioning it until I find a comfortable position
    e) something else

2. Remove Ads

I just carry OWB and dress around it, that way I can be comfortable. I tried a cheap nylon IWB holster and did not like it. So I bought a three slot leather pancake belt holster and love it. good luck, hope every thing works out.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I don't currently carry away from the farm, but have little issue with my Ruger's reminding me that she is there when I sit to watch TV. It is definitely not as uncomfortable as the light that I wear 16/7 IWB.

Maybe you can adjust the position and get used to it. Through high school I wore my knife IWB at 6:00. When I decided to put it at 9:00, it took a good while to get used to it. When I added the light right behind the knife, it still took time to get used to and still pokes me from time to time.

Find what works for you and then get used to it. Then when it pokes you, think of it as situational awareness.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Yeah... A through E!

Seriously, I carry an all stainless 1911 and 1 or 2 spare magazines without having to tighten my belt till my eyes bug out. I don't agree with buying pants two sizes larger, just pants that are not already tight in the waist. I use a VM-II holster, no bone issues, and a double thick leather belt.

I think you just need to experiment a bit.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I have a custom OWB holster for my Glock 36. I used to not wear it because I thought it stuck out too much, so I used a cheapo nylon one that went thru the belt loop and it worked fine until it went missing one day, so at that point I decided to start using my custome Glock holster. Then it was just a matter of getting used to it and dressing right for it. Now I'm used to it, and I can conceal it well.

VIP Member
    Sounds to me like your holster is resting in a place that is putting pressure on a sensitive area. You may need a new holster, you may need to change the location where you carry (move it forward or back an inch or two) or possibly both.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

the comfort that I forego in order to recieve the comfort of having the gun is not as important
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Carrying is not meant to be comfortable, but I can say after 11 years I am way more uncomfortable without it than I am with it!!! There is no right carry method for everyone. What works for one doesn't for another. Although I can't see a IWB Kydex being comfortable at all! I have never been a fan of IWB carry, it just wasn't right for me. OWB in a good quality holster and the proper cover garment and I have never been made with my G23. You may have to try several holsters and different locations to find what works for you. You don't need $100 plus, holsters either, although they are nice. Probably the very best OWB holster I have found is the Bianchi CarryLoc, around $50 and very well made. You are a newbie, you can't expect to find the right carry rig and location on the first try, just be patient and find what works for you.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

You need to experiment a little. I carry either a 3" 1911, a 4" 1911 or a snubnose 638 in total comfort IWB. At times I've fallen asleep wearing and occasionally catch myself bumping bumping it to make sure it's there. I buy pants that are just a loose fit that I can wear with or without the carry setup. I use a true gunbelt, this is critical. I wear my belt just as tight as I would without carrying and no problems with sagging.

For holsters my 1911's are in leather and the when the 638 is not in a pocket holster it rides in kydex. I tend to favor leather over kydex on a comfort scale but it can work in the right set up.

As for position that's a highly individual thing. Many prefer around 3:30, like me, in a forward canted holster. The particular model of holster is also highly individual. There are many that seem to work for most people but not all. The Versa Max, K&D Defender and Andrews Leather McDaniel come to mind for wide appeal.

I'd start with a good gunbelt, make sure your pants fit comfortably with the rig on not really loose,move the holster around a little and if that won't work consider a new holster.

Oh, if you are one of those "droopy drawer" folks, it may never work well. You need your pants and belt on top of your waist so they have something to grab.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

My solution was to NOT get bigger pants. I use an Uncle Mikes Sikde Kick and place it between the belt and the pants, this way my pants are still fitting like they should
    Think twice
    Buy once!

I use an 'el cheapo' Uncle Mike's sidekick holster for the same carry option you described. G27 also. Mine rides about 4 o'clock, and it hides very well under a t-shirt for me. I've also used the same setup for SOB carry and it hides even better, just a PITA to sit down with it there IWB. I'm sure you'll come up with some solutions soon enough. Good luck.

Administrator
    Yep, ~ b ~ d & e

Life will be good again if start carrying OWB right behind the hip in a good leather holster at around 3:30 O'Clock. Try to buy a holster with at least a 15 Degree cant.
    Buy a good Gun Belt also and as a plus you can start wearing the correct size pants again.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Yeah... A through E!

Seriously, I carry an all stainless 1911 and 1 or 2 spare magazines without having to tighten my belt till my eyes bug out. I don't agree with buying pants two sizes larger, just pants that are not already tight in the waist. I use a VM-II holster, no bone issues, and a double thick leather belt.

I think you just need to experiment a bit.
    Somewhat the same here: I wear my normal size jeans or slacks, though I do allow two extra inches when shopping for belts. Are you using a real gun belt? With a good, purpose-built belt there's no need to cinch it down overly tight as the lateral stability is there to help keep the rig from sagging.

Personally speaking, I HATE kydex. It doesn't offer any cushioning effect to the ol' lovehandles whereas leather can give just a bit and keep the edges from jabbing into your side.

To me the 5:00 position pushes the gun's muzzle straight into my upper butt muscles. I prefer to carry right about 3:30 or so, just behind the hip joint. At that position, the gun is sitting in a natural hollow so it's both more comfortable and prints less through the cover shirt.

If you've already got a good belt, I'd say try on some of the pants you were wearing before you started packing and then see if there's a position the rig seems more comfortable. If you DON'T have a good belt, get one. Wilderness Instructor's belts aren't overly expensive to experiment with and they make great "knock around" belts. If you see an improvement then you're at least on the right track. With the gun in place your belt shouldn't feel any tighter than you'd wear it if you weren't packing. If it's more comfortable but not quite "there" yet, then I'd suggest investing in a good leather rig to see that's the answer you need.

So:
    1). Pants that fit.
    2). A real gun belt, adjusted to be comfortable.
    3). Experiment with the rig's position.
    4). Consider a different holster.
    Jack

No, not uncomfortable at all.

You need the right clothing, a holster that works for you, the right belt and to put it all in the right place.

Good luck.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    I just started carrying everywhere I go. I am using an IWB Kydex holster about 5 o'clock with a Glock 27. I weighed the gun and it is less than two pounds. It is uncomfortable to say the least.
    I'm sure I would find a 5 O'Clock carry to be painful as well as difficult gun access. Suggest you try a different carry position.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links